Season of Mists and Thorough Nastiness

4 Conversations

by Michael Bywater, h2g2 Staff Gloomy B*****d

Autumn. 'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,' as the poet Keats said. What does that tell us about our brief life on Earth? Nothing. What does it tell us about the poet Keats? That he was a sentimental fool. You don't believe me? What about

    Wan as primroses gather'd at midnight

    By chilly finger'd spring

then? Sorry, but when it came to meteorology, the poet Keats was a spent force. Unreliable. Not to be taken seriously. The truth is that autumn is hell. Why do you think the Americans call it 'Fall'? Because they are too idle to learn to spell 'autumn' is why, but that's irrelevant. What is relevant is that autumn is full of horrors. Wet rain on suburban roads. Steamed-up bathroom mirrors. Beetles curled up under every stone. The smell of damp sandstone pervading the entire planet. Tube strikes. Old ladies in thick stockings. Leaves on the line. Turning the light on in the afternoon. Mushrooms growing in your shoes. Colds. Clammy disobliging women. Men on station platforms smelling of wet dog.

The only way to get through autumn is to find a new interest in life. But what? Hell, you'll be miserable anyway, so you might as well pick something at random. Like... aleatorics.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A182792

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more