A Conversation for Possums

Optimal Possums

Post 1

The Unreliable Narrator

Over the past few hundred thousand years the Opossum has undergone less evolutionary change than just about any other mamal, meaning that it is something of an optimal design. Not a pretty design. Just a good one.


Optimal Possums

Post 2

Universal Mote

Yes... but what of the "new ", Darwinian (survival of the fittest), concept of the automobile as a extinction factor?
Could this be the impetus for change needed for the possum to survive into this new millenemum?
smiley - winkeye


Optimal Possums

Post 3

Sea Change

Despite their tendency to get run over elsewhere, they are rampant throughout the entire Los Angeles California basin and adjacent urban valleys, and I have seldom seen a dead one in the road.

The urban possums are also mean enough to put off most cats and get chewed on by dogs and survive. I don't think their vision was ever anything close to good, but they can kinda sorta see, in all sizes.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more