A Conversation for The Box, a Conversion for Type 1 Volkswagens

Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 1

Amanda

Hey there! Nice to see a familiar face on the front page. smiley - smiley


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 2

Kate

Agreed! Congratulations beetle!

*smile*


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 3

Bruce

Indeed, why wasn't I surprised to see LB's name as the researcher after seeing the title on the front page.

Congrats - nice article.

;^)#


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 4

beetle, return of

Thanks guys. You love me, you really love me. *blushes*


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 5

CrazyOne

All hail Lord Beetle!

Congrats on the guide entry. smiley - smiley


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 6

Kate

*throws rose petals*


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 7

Amanda

*dances a jig to the tune of "Goody Two-Shoes" by Adam Ant, just because I can* smiley - winkeye


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 8

Mustapha

Hi beetle! Just letting you know I'm putting a link to this Entry up at the h2g2 Historical Society, which can be found here:

http://www.h2g2.com/A240058

See ya smiley - smiley

Mustapha


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 9

beetle, return of

Interesting, but how would you relate the Box to general history?


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 10

Mustapha

Well, in the grander scheme of things historical, it may not be as pivotal as the Norman Conquest of England, the Treaty of Versaille or the assassination of JFK, but the Box does occupy a small portion of history, the type of history that tells us about ourselves as a society.

I think the Box, and kit cars in general can be best described as the modern day Log Cabin. In the olden days you would head off into the wilderness with nothing but an axe and determination. With a bit of hard graft, you could live in something you *made*. It might be drafty, it might all come down in a strong breeze but you made it.

Today, of course, few people get to build their own homes. The next best thing is their car. So every spare hour they get, they disappear into the wilderness of the garage with perhaps a few more tools than just an axe, but with no less determination. And in the end, they well have something that looks like a log cabin on wheels, but they *made* it.

Maybe it says something about us as a species that evolved/progressed through creating tools, that we all feel the need/desire to create something in order to feel happy.


Mmmm...Volkswagens

Post 11

beetle, return of

*goes off to learn how to make fiberglass molds*


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more