A Conversation for Towels

Simplicity

Post 1

Thinker

I find that the many uses of a towel arise from its sheer simplicity. Any advances on the basic design of a fabric rectangle, be they the additions of carrying straps, reflective surfaces, pouches, or permanent folds (seams) shaping the fabric into clothing of all sorts, are simply variations on the same design. And this simple towel design can function in nearly every capacity that its variations can. I'm reminded of a quote:

"From the simple, come the complicated, and the simple will dominate them." -Jeff Nelson

I am also going to add something here that might shock some of the less open-minded hitchhikers out there. I have found another tool which is on a practical par with the towel: the Stick. Just a stiff rod of a comfortable diameter and height, can be used in nearly any circumstance. But wait, there's more! Think of the possibilities of combining the stick and the towel!


Simplicity

Post 2

Researcher 168708

There is another point to while a towel is so useful. A rolled up towel can do many things that a stick can do. Many sandwich spreads can be used to stick the towel once rolled up to make it more sticky, quite possibly in both senses of the word.

Maybe some examples of stick uses should be listed and examples of how a towel can be used to get the same task done and vice versa.


Simplicity

Post 3

Jools

I'm a purist when it comes to towels... I find that adding accessories to your towel such as reflective surfaces etc. reduces the towel's natural versatilty, in this case by reducing the available absorbent area.

The stick is also a basic tool capable of accomplishing many tasks, but is not quite as important as the towel, mainly because a good stick (or similar object, such as a good crusty baguette) is easy to obtain, whereas a good towel is much harder to find. Also, while one could use a stick & towel combination to construct a rudimentary shelter, the towel alone could do this job quite well, whereas a stick alone would be of little benefit. Unless you got enough sticks to build a small hut, which would be difficult since not all sticks, notably baguettes, are suitable for this job.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more