Alpha Centauri Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Alpha Centauri

16 Conversations

Alpha Centauri is a tiny little pinprick of light that can be seen in the night sky from Earth. It's often accompanied by a whole bunch of other little pinpricks of light in the vast blackness of night so it's a little difficult to distinguish from the rest of them, unless of course you spend several years going to fancy and expensive colleges that teach you how to distinguish one little pinprick of light from another.

If you were to talk to an astronomer about alpha Centauri, you would find that that particular pinprick of light is actually a three star system, a trinary system if you will. Thus proving that ten years of college can teach you something, even if it's massively trivial.

The alpha Centauri system has two roughly Sun-like stars and one small dim red star, alpha Centauri C, aka V645 Centauri. It is better known as Proxima Centauri. The stars of the alpha Centauri system are the three closest to Earth (other than the Sun) at about four light years away.

Could there be life there? No one has even found a planet there yet so it's too early to tell.

Let's hope that if there is intelligent life there, they have a good sense of humour. Remember, our broadcasts of the Spice Girls reached alpha Centauri a few years ago.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A132797

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more