Weaver fish Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Weaver fish

8 Conversations

Spiny little brutes that can often be found using bare feet at low tide in the waters of the southern UK. Weaver fish are impossibly difficult to spot, as they dig themselves into the sand, leaving only their poisonous spines protruding.

The surfers' cure for a weaver fish sting is to pee into a wetsuit boot and place the affected foot into the warm, soothing liquid. This, although sounding like an old wives' tale, is actually quite good advice. The weaver fish, like most poisonous sea creatures, has temperature-specific poison and warm, or preferably hot, liquid prevents it from working.

An alternative way to cure the pain would be to hop to a local café and beg to use one of their weaver fish buckets, which are specially kept in Cornwall and other surfing areas. Fill the bucket with very hot water and keep the foot in the water for as long as you can, until the pain subsides.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A124480

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more