Escape Pod Dreams - 38

1 Conversation


I apologise for being alive. I promise not to do it again.

The New New blob


It is an empirical certainty that you will meet at least one stupid person today who has a certificate to prove it.


I have made the mistake this morning of reading about education in America and what those in charge think of it.

Now, some of these folks have actually taught at some point in their careers, while others have been collecting grants and writing books and warming chairs at seminars and talk shows ever since they crawled out of the cocoon of academia into the harsh, wing-searing light of media attention.

I think it is everyone's job to teach, not just the freaks in the sideshows we call schools.

I also think it is time that the headlining dog and pony acts in the media and political limelight should start cleaning up the animal pens instead of leaving it to their lessers.

It is hard to talk about equality or progression in education if it all relies on a trickle down theory for the education of the educators themselves before any of it actually touches a real live student.

And the recent movement toward criminalizing the teacher who does not 'perform' in the newly expected manner is a bit strange, considering that if you view education as organized crime, then the 'button men' don't really matter. It is the 'bosses' who need punishing.

Yet, whom be the people who are pushing for the punishing of the local level teachers for not keeping up with the 'standards'?

The Al Capones of education.

Reminds me of the old Soviet hobby of purging the ranks to keep the survivors honest.

Or stupid.


There is an old poem that says that even fleas have parasites.

I think that ignorance shines the brightest at the top.


More reasons to be afraid of pure thought and peanut butter:

1. 8:57 AM
Somebody's Mother, part 2, chapter 3

by

Tormenting Really Tiny ants with my poetry

2. 9:57 AM
Timmy and Mummy visit the Naval Ordnance Museum: Education Galore!

by

Santa Maria's patented headache remedy: now with dirt!

3. 10:57 AM
Linguistic Linguini: Vacation, Vocation.

by

Jocasta, Jocasta, Jocasta: Do your homework!

4. 11:57 AM
The far corner of fear.


by

Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)


The Escape Pod Dreams
Archive

(tonsil revenge)

11.09.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1170361

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more