A Conversation for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

What about Voltron?

Post 1

Industrial Gila Dolphin

MMPR was the first live action show to be shown over hewre, but it was Voltron that first had the rainbow-colored-young-people-piloting-robots-that-form-a-big-robot show. Which was actually a good part of MY childhood.

Plus there was this other cartoon where several different colored robots, who were artifically intelligent, became a big robot, too. But I seem the be the only person who remebers it.


What about Star Fleet?

Post 2

Researcher 46786

I'm sure that there was a puppet-show (Gerry Anderson or someone like that) called "Star Fleet" that followed similar lines in that Three robot/spaceships (well, the Brit.s don't have much of a rep. for thinking big) would attempt to beat some kind of monster/evil being/horde of alien ships in a tactically sound three pronged attack and end up getting there arses whupped. However, should they join together making only *one* target to draw fire, become *less* moveable, and probably argue relentlessly about the best route to get to kicking some serious arse (always happens when two or more guys get together in any kind of craft) - they would win in the remaining two minutes before the credits.
That was well before the Power Rangers came to the west.
Incidentally, in all these programmes, how does the guy in the feet suddenly get to be sitting by the guy in the head when the ships/"zords"/attack vehicles join together?


What about Voltron?

Post 3

darktron

Yeah, I remember the old Voltron cartoons as well. I'd get up in the early mornings to watch the five lions join forces and turn into a giant robot, kicking some RoBeast's rear end. I had the toy soon after, and I think I have the majority of the parts of it somewhere. It seems to me that they turned into a set of five vehicles too, before they faded into obscurity. And now they are actually back again. Someone has gone to the trouble of recreating the series using complete computer animation. It's usually on in a block with Transformers: Beast Wars and War Planets, all of which are in computer animation. Maybe Voltron is making a comeback?...


What about Voltron?

Post 4

Juggggalo

Are you sure that Robotech:Macross wasn't the first "americanized" cartoon from Japan? And was the other show that you mentioned possibly called "Mighty Orbots"?


Brits reputation for thinking big

Post 5

The Serpent

I'd like to tell you to stick your opinion up your shitter but there isn't room with your head up there too. And you wouldn't be able to talk either. Just be mindful of the fact that if it wasn't for us people on our pitiful little non-big thinking island you wouldn't have this forum or Guide to use in the first place.


What about Voltron?

Post 6

mr.January

Yeah, this poo is cold. No the "Robots" was the first show to see.......somethin' happened to me. Anyways I'm too
excited to be here to make sense. I'm pretty sure. Hey you know what.


What about Voltron?

Post 7

Researcher 49280

Macross was an awesome American show involving transformable jets that turned into
robots to fight the 50 foot tall aliens. Not exactly new for the Japanese but it was very
cool when i was about 7 years old and just getting into sci-fi.


What about Voltron?

Post 8

Zarniwoop

Yournot the only one friend. I remember voltron myslef. It seems to me that MMPR is definatly a RIP-OFF.


What about Voltron?

Post 9

mr.January

Robotech Robotecha Robotechna Robotechnaf
Robotechnafirilium Robostroumpf Stroumpfs crawl past my window
mouths packed with ice. Good use of letters I give it a B-


Grip on Reality!

Post 10

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Dear mr. january

Nice to see other h2g2 officianados with such a firm grip on reality when discussing important issues like M.M.P.R.

Sod the Power Rangers, what Happened to Reboot?


Grip on Reality!

Post 11

Lord Jaysen

I was not aware a grip on reality was necessary here.....But I too grew up on Voltron...And its one of the VERY few shows I remember fondly.....That and the Transformers...Which were mentioned too, in a previous post....


Grip on Reality!

Post 12

mr.January

More than meets the eye.(Follow with that transforming sound)
Transformers! Autobots something something the evil plans of the Decepticons?


Grip on Reality!

Post 13

mr.January

And it's all grip. Grip on the white ship that takes me to the jewled kingdom of an alien race .............
.....in deep huuuuuuued space.


What about Voltron?

Post 14

Allergic to pi

"This other cartoon" just happens to be Transformers, the best cartoon ever. By the way, have anyone written about Cybertron?


What about Voltron?

Post 15

Industrial Gila Dolphin

The Mighty Orbots....THAT just may be IT!!! Thank you. I was begining to think that I was the only person on the planet to remember it, and then since I only remember bits and pieces then I was at a loss. heh.


Grip on Reality!

Post 16

Industrial Gila Dolphin

Exactly. ReBoot is a very cool show. It's on the Cartoon Network now, and they even show the elusive season 3.


Grip on Reality!

Post 17

Ford

Sod the Decepticons, what ever happened to Captain Black and the Misterons ???


What about Voltron?

Post 18

Azermaine

I am the ultimate Voltron(or any Robot) fan. LEts see. The first Japanese animated show to be Americanized has to be Speed Racer. Also Battle of the Planets(also called G Force or Gatchaman) was before Robotech and Voltron. Voltron actually had 3 separate shows in Japan(much like Power rangers), but when they were imported they were strung together. The 5 Lions were first(and most popular). Then came the 15 vehicles that came apart and made 3 bigger vehicles(air Land and sea). They were on a scouting mission I believe. There was also another one made up of 3 Robots. It wasn't on very long in the U.S. I know of it, but haven't seen any of it. For some reason, during the 70's and 80's, imported Japanese shows that were somewhat alike were strung together as 1 show. Robotech was 3 separate shows in Japan. So was Voltron. Power Rangers was even more. 1 show for each type of ranger. That kind of show is called Sentai by the way(live action) and all started with Ultraman. The latest 3 Power Ranger show(in Space, Lost Galaxy and the Newest one Lightspeed Rescue) are wholly American, but based off the originals. The show Eagle Riders is actually a combination of Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman 3. Has anyone noticed that there is usually a team of 5. in the 70's and 80's there was the leader, a girl, a kid, and a strongman. The other was usually the loner. Gforce is like that, so is Voltron. Nowadays, they usually have 2 girls( for some reason Yellow and Pink). Also, all the sentai shows crossed over with one another, often becasue they were made by the smae studio. Bet you didn't know that Spiderman helped out the Power RAngers on more than 1 occasion.


Key: Complain about this post