A Conversation for The 'Wales' and the 'Belgium' as Units of Measurement

Nearly as useful as the DDB

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

It seems that the Wales (and indeed the B*lgium) are very usefule measurements indeed. They're nearly as useful as the Double-Decker-Bus - albeit a little more specialised in their usage.

The DDB serves as a measurement of length, volume and weight.
For example:

The garden is twice as long as a DDB.
The explosion was as loud a two DDBs.
The queue was very slow, we had to wait nearly as long as for a DDB.

(Normally it's not these kinds of 'volume' or 'weight' - but as units of measure go, they are very useful...)


Nearly as useful as the DDB

Post 2

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

And they're useful for jumping over if you want to set a record.


Nearly as useful as the DDB

Post 3

parrferris

Another unit of height popular with the British press is the 'Nelson's Column'; for greater heights the 'Post Office Tower' was briefly superceded by the 'Natwest Tower' before the 'Canary Wharf' was adopted.

The 'St. Paul's Cathedral' is a common unit of height and is now the only common measurement of volume since the abolition of the 'Wembley Stadium'.

Any large sum of money which the media believes to be wasted is measured in 'Wards' and 'Hospitals'.


Nearly as useful as the DDB

Post 4

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

Or schools.

Smaller units are often "Police-Officers-on-the-beat" or "Teachers-in-the-classroom.

David Attenborough was using a good old one last night (about how much elephant's drink) and was measuring in bathfulls.


Nearly as useful as the DDB

Post 5

Varindweion

other units for the price of something:

in B*lgium: a 'pintje', Dutch for a glass of beer, volume 25 cl (half a pint)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more