Next to The Custard

1 Conversation

In the east, the Aisorbmii prepare for war. In the west the Kingdom were already marching. Among them, Baroness Erica del Erica, the Resurrected, possessing the body of Halfglint. Since her death and rebirth we have discovered she was angry, and sought the answers behind that which had been done to her. There are many answers, and not all of them are pleasing...

The following account is taken from historical records.

Episode Seventeen – Revelations Profound

Lady Mirella zrey Tabitha raised her right hand into the air, signalling the first rest in today's ride. Her second-in-command, Marquis Timit fre Dasain, gently brought his steed to rest beside her. The rest of her Quarter, clad spectacularly in crimson, timed their halt perfectly to remain in formation, for it wouldn't do to look unorganised on the march.

'My Ladyship, I have studied most carefully the inclination of the sun, and it seemeth me we have been riding a mere half hour. Commander Reglan wast most specific that we thoroughly scout the area,' said Timit.

'It seemeth me there is little point in doing so. If thou shalt cast thine gaze at the copse to the north-east, thou shalt see a wonderfully picturesque area which seemeth perfect for a picnic. What sayeth thou, Marquis?'

'Our distance from the Aisorbmii borders ist very small, my Ladyship. Our warriors must remain vigilant while the great armies of our Kingdom descends upon the town of No Man's Land and cleanses it of the heretics.'

Mirella smiled. 'Then our warriors must be vigilant, and must observe our own rights as surety of our triumph. Make a proclamation, dear Marquis, that we shalt make camp for our noon-time meal and give thanks by preparing fresh hot rice pudding in the copse yonder.'

'If thy command is followed thou shalt all die,' said Halfglint, surprising Lady Mirella by appearing suddenly from behind.

'Thou shalt explain thy uncourteous behaviour now or face the most direst of consequences, uncouth labourer,' demanded Mirella.

'The fortress factory of Anilomes is close by, Lady Mirella. It wast ruined barely a month ago by the noble efforts of the Marquis Endam ar Berrito and the Baroness Erica del Erica. It is visible on the eastern horizon, and it seemeth me that it is intact where it shouldst not be so.'

'Aisorbmii!' hissed Timit.

'We must be certain,' confirmed Halfglint, carefully watching Mirella.

Mirella cast a sour gaze on the peasant, then turned to Timit. 'What is the hour, Marquis?'

'In mine estimations the sun shall traverse to its peak within the hour, my Ladyship,' answered Timit.

'Then we shalt ride,' said Mirella. She motioned her heels, moving the horse into a trot. Her Quarter urged their steeds to follow suit. Timit held back for a moment, to take the rear, and indicated to Halfglint that he should follow suit.

'Master Halfglint, I shouldst like to converse with you regarding your purposes in the Quarter of mine Ladyship. Your manner has been naught but rude, and disrupts our efficiency. It wouldst be most helpful to our combined cause for you to comply.'

'Marquis Timit fre Dasain, I shouldst like to pummel this Quarter into the ground with mine bare hands. Thine Ladyship ist a fool and shouldst never have been placed in so high a position of authority within the forces of the Kingdom.'

Timit reached for his sword. 'Hold thine tongue!'

Halfglint gestured. Timit's sword-belt tore apart and fell to the ground. He had to halt to reclaim it.

'Mine tongue shalt speak as it wishes. Thy tongue is as foolish as hers. It ist mine belief that I have not returned merely to play at the whim of other powers, but to be a great power in mine own right. Anilomes wast destroyed. The sacrifice of Endam ar Berrito shalt not be in vain.'

Timit's horse had moved away while he picked up his sword. He ran to catch it, then mounted smoothly. Behind him something growled. 'His sacrifice must be dedicated towards the one kingdom which will rule the land.'

The horse skittered and moved forwards, towards the others in the Quarter, entirely out of Timit's control. He calmed his steed and turned around. Halfglint nudged his horse forwards and began to gallop.

The twenty-five men of Lady Mirella's Quarter pursued. The day grew greyer, clouds casting over the sun. An hour later Halfglint halted. There was a body on the ground. Its head was missing.

Lady Mirella gave the corpse a disdainful expression before addressing the lead rider. 'Thine apparent destination lies a way yonder, Master Halfglint, and mine picnic spot lies all the gloomier for the sun ist hidden and will not be shining gloriously upon the copse I had scouted for mineself. Hast thou an adequate explanation for this sudden interruption of the journey thou wert so insistent we persist in traversing?'

'Endam...' said Halfglint. 'Marquis Endam ar Berrito.'

Twenty-seven pairs of eyes reverently looked at the body in a kinder light. Timit spoke. 'It wast mine belief that the body of this hero was returned to the Kingdom and buried most ceremoniously.'

'Pah!' said Halfglint. 'The body of the Baroness Erica del Erica was buried in a shallow grave north of the Castle, before it was unearthed, its bones stolen, its skull hollowed. The body of Lord Teril gu Srander was plundered mere days ago from its own grave. The heroes of the Kingdom have been grave-robbed, Timit fre Dasain. There ist a darkness orchestrating dark deeds in this world, and it careth not for the great lives it abuses. Mine task is to find this darkness.'

'Aisorbmii,' said Timit, less certainly than before.

'It shall be seen,' said Halfglint, and he began his journey again. Lady Mirella ordered four of her Quarter to take the body home; any less wouldst leave a unit which could not fit easily in equal-numbered ranks. The remainder followed Halfglint again over the rise, into what had once been woodland, difficult terrain for two heroes on foot, now easy terrain for twenty-three on horseback. The plant life was dead.

In its stead Anilomes was alive. Timit watched, more carefully than before, the expression of Halfglint. His face was paling, if it was possible. Timit suspected some struggle was going on within his mind, though of what nature he could not be sure. Perhaps magical; the growling voice he heard before was Halfglint's voice and yet not... it had lost all the, well, light attractive qualities it had before.

Timit wished he had been born with magical talent, such as telepathy. He felt it might have been useful for advancement.

Anilomes was alive. By now they could hear the machinery working within, machinery which Timit felt certain he recalled hearing was destroyed in the vast explosion. There was definitely something amiss here...

The factory doors opened, and several warriors in full blackened armour stepped out to form two rows. A larger figure followed them and stood at the door, gesturing that they should approach.

'Ar'mais, you are overdue,' he cooed. 'Who have you brought to us?'

Who was Armay, Timit thought. No-one answered the question.

'Mine name ist Lady Mirella zrey Tabitha,' said her Ladyship. Timit could read her fairly well; she was primly presenting herself as a superior, and was annoyed that one of her men had not sounded a bugle and announced her himself.

'Zrey,' said the large figure. ''Illegitimate child of'? Not a name I would be proud of.'

'Might I have the privilege of your name?' asked Mirella, haughtily.

'My name is Fyendodas, Lady Mirella zrey Tabitha. I shall call some men to tend to yours for the night. N'teuss?' One of the numberless warriors stepped forward, and Fyendodas indicated he should cater for her ladyship.

'Ar'mais, greet me like a brother,' said Fyendodas. This time it was clear to Timit that Halfglint was being addressed, but his ladyship's welfare was his prime concern at this time of- night?

It was suddenly very dark, he noticed.

'Ar'mais is not at home,' said Halfglint. 'On the other hand I have seen enough.'

'Baroness,' said the host. 'Peach! Ar'mais succeeded in bringing you to us. May I speak to him?'

'He's not here,' said the horseman. Timit stared at the peasant lumberjack, not understanding. 'Stay back, fre Dasain,' ordered Halfglint. 'I am leaving.'

'Yes, you are,' said Fyendodas. 'Ar'mais, come forth.'

'Ar'mais, come forth,' chorused the numberless other warriors, including T'neuss, much to Mirella's distress.

'I am here,' growled Halfglint, his voice changed once more. Timit stared at the man, bewildered.

'Don't just stand there, oh fre Dasain,' said Fyendodas. 'You are the servant of your ladyship. Tend to her.'

'Yes,' said Lady Mirella. 'It seemeth me a storm is coming, and quickly. We shouldst make use of this man's hospitality. Thou shalt cook me some of your most excellent rice pudding, Timit.'

'Rice pudding?' said T'Neuss. He drew a knife and threw it at Timit, catching him in the heart. The red uniform's colour deepened considerably in the wet.

'Do not fret,' said Fyendodas, upon seeing the Ladyship's troubled face. 'We shall serve you another meal instead, one you will never have tasted before. I promise you will love it.'

'It seemeth I have no alternatives. Wilt thou allowest mine other men to live?'

'Certainly, if it pleases you. Come in, come in, it will be getting wet.'

'Thou shalt have to tell me of this previously undiscovered nutrition before I will allow any of mine people to taste of it.'

'We shall.' As they entered the factory, Timit fre Dasain collapsed.

'What name does this sustenance come by?'

'Custard,' said Fyendodas.

Ripper

17.04.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1026109

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more