A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 221

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

That sounds like Choucroute.

What will supper be?

Post 222

ITIWBS

Somèthing like that, but made with all fresh vegetables, listed in order of quantity.

May toss a little fresh grated nutmeg onto the cabbage and serve with a couple of pickled peppers.

What will supper be?

Post 223

ITIWBS

Cooking order, the potatoes are actually fried, in a minimum of olive oil, with a little bbq spice, franks and cabbage go in next, with half a cup of cooking water, onion slivers last of all on the last boil once the cabbage turns tender and translucent.

What will supper be?

Post 224

Does the bbq spice give it a hint of chili?

What will supper be?

Post 225

ITIWBS

The formulation I'm using doesn't contain any hot spices.

Eating light, tonight, Welsh rarebit*, with a big dill pickle on the side.

*Grilled cheese on toast.

What will supper be?

Post 226

As simple meals go, that's great!

In very hot weather, I like to pick a zucchini from my garden, cut it into spears, and dip them in hommous.

What will supper be?

Post 227

You can call me TC

Last night I tried out a recipe which was a great success. Grilled salmon with asparagus pesto and gnocchi salad. It was much simpler to make than the recipe at first looked.

What will supper be?

Post 228

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Our last-known-and-elected Prezident had a recent catastrophic supper failure. We all meet them, but the well over-numbering wonderful successes make up for it. smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 229

Speaking of zucchini, the seeds I planted are starting to come up. smiley - wow

What will supper be?

Post 230

Hand-made meatballs (lean ground beef, onion, light seasoning, egg and bread crumbs), into a warm crockpot (slow-cooker) already simmering some bottled BBQ sauce, ketchup and water as a bit of thinner, a little chopped celery and carrot, a good measure of fine chopped Spanish onion, a little fine minced fresh garlic, ... and for the hell-of-it, to cut the tart a little, some aging large orange segments (sliced small) and a small dollop of honey.

My friend Uncle Ben has a nice wild and long grain rice option that I think will go well with it.

What will supper be?

Post 231

I just had a some spicy Italian chickpea soup with potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, meatballs, and carrots.

What will supper be?

Post 232

Except for the spicey, the chickpeas and zukes - iit sounds nice. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 233

ITIWBS

Just thinking of chickpea soup.

I think I'll make a batch.

What will supper be?

Post 234

ITIWBS

Roast beef hash tacos on soft yellow corn tortillas, with cheese, coarsely chopped sour olives, shredded lettuce; taco sauce on the roast beef hash and pickled hot yellow peppers on the side.

What will supper be?

Post 235

You can call me TC

Last night I used up some more of the millet (sell-by date 1998). One recipe recommended roasting it in a dry pan before boiling it. I tried that but it didn't help, or improve the taste as she said it would.

So I lightly dry-fried it, with a handful of curry powder, then added some coconut oil, quickly adding a large amount of water with a spoonful of vegetable stock granules before the grains started to blacken. I chopped spring onions, carrots and celery (that's all I had in the fridge) and added them for the boiling process. It took longer than the 15 minutes it should have taken, possibly because the grains were old and dried or possibly because of the dry-frying.

Towards the end I chucked in some leftovers of nuts, chopped dried apricots and chopped dates and some dessicated coconut. (No idea what the sell-by date on the coconut was, but it wasn't worm-infested, just a little yellow)

We both went back for second helpings.

Recipes for millet on UK sites are non-existent. The only recipes I found were all on American and German sites.

What will supper be?

Post 236

That sounds like one of my recipes for the Everything supper. Nearly everything left in the fridge goes into an electric wok with some other stuffs for moisture, flavour and most importantly: just because it seems a good idea at the time.

Never failed yet. smiley - biggrin

What will supper be?

Post 237

ITIWBS

Millet and ginseng are not compatible and should not be taken together at the same time.

People often complain of stomach-ache when they do.

A favorite use of millet of mine is to presoak the millet overnight, boil in excess water until the kernals 'pop', then use as an alternative to rice in gumbos and other hearty soups.

What will supper be?

Post 238

I have some millet flour that I add to cake batter

What will supper be?

Post 239

ITIWBS

Microwave ranch 'fries': using fresh potatoes, microwave 4 minutes, turn, microwave 4 minutes, slice into quarters lengthwise, turn cut faces up, baste with olive oil or butter, sprinkle lightly with bbq powder, sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs, microwave another 1 1/2 minutes.

Breaded and baked chicken breast slices.

Celery stalks, trimmed of greens (put aside for soups and salads), cut to half length sections, stuffed with sour cream.

What will supper be?

Post 240

smiley - drool

Key: Complain about this post