A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Afterliff

Post 1

Pastey

In 1983 Douglas Adams and John Lloyd published the Meaning of Liff. A book that would change your liff!

They followed this up in 1990 with the Deeper Meaning of Liff.

Both of these, just in case you didn't know, are a dictionary of things that there aren't any words for yet.

Now, 30 years later John Llyod has produced a third book: Afterliff.
This has been put together using original content not just from the original authors, but also from fans from all around the world. Including some from here.

So, what are your favourite Liffs? Do you have any new ones for us?

If you want some help getting started, have a look at the index put together by Mu Beta: A47800280

Afterliff

Post 2

Geggs

Who's John Llyod?

I mean John Lloyd I know, but Llyod?

Oh, you're just going to use some technomagical powers to fix that and make me look silly now, aren't you?

Geggs

Afterliff

Post 3

Pastey

Nope, I'm going to admit to staring at it for a good five minutes thinking it didn't look right, then staring at the two editions of Liff I have in front of me, and still not seeing the typo. smiley - laugh

Afterliff

Post 4

Pastey

After much perusal, I think I've found a couple of favourites:

Lusby (n.)
The fold of flesh pushing forward over the top of a bra which is too small for the lady inside it.

Humby (n.)
An erection which won't go down when a gentleman has to go to the lavatory in the middle of dallying with a lady.

Yes, they're both a little rude smiley - laugh

Afterliff

Post 5

FWR

Maybe just me but that link takes me to is it safe to cycle?

Puddington - someone who can't quite get the knack of pressing the correct buttons in the correct sequence?

Afterliff

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

You talkin' about me agin, FWR? smiley - cross

Pastey, I think you meant to use this as your link: A846065

*continues hiding under her Matt* smiley - lurk

lil x

Afterliff

Post 7

benjaminpmoore

Hi guys,

I actually have a liff in the new book. I have several definitions in a file somewhere, my problem is finding humorous sounding place names for them that haven't already been used.

I can't repeated one of my faves (fovant) as it has a bad word in it but
'The first, tiny inclination that something, somewhere, has gone horribly wrong'

I think that's ELY.

Afterliff

Post 8

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

An Abercrombie.

That moment when you reach the top of an escalator and pause, because you don't know where to go.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Afterliff

Post 9

Pastey

I actually meant to get it to link to the Ask Thread, but I think Geggs or someone might have updated a QotD and reset it.

Afterliff

Post 10

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Here's one I do regularly when a certain 'Xbox friend' comes online:

Voorst (vb.)
To make the V-sign at people on the television whom you dislike.

Afterliff

Post 11

Morseman

Hi All,

(Warning: The definitions shown are taken from the book "After Liff" and may contain adult language)

I too have a copy of After Liff, signed by John Lloyd (not the rarer copy signed by John LLyod) smiley - run
as some of my photographs were published in the book.

In case you want to check out the ones that are mine, here's a list of the entries.

Beeston - n. A low-pitched drone, as from an unseen motorway or history teacher.
Eakring - n. A token of undying thrift.
Todwick - n. A small frond of lavatory paper found sticking to the end of a penis.
Tutbury - n. An ancient git who glares with barely contained rage at a perfectly well-behaved child in a cinema or on a bus.

Afterliff

Post 12

Pastey

smiley - laugh

Afterliff

Post 13

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I use 'nad' regularly to denote something ~just~ out of reach, which happens a whole lot since I became wheelchair-bound; its original meaning is the distance between your outstretched fingers and the automatic ticket at the car park entrance.

Also, my kitchen is full of spongs, including some rather nice ones that have been in the family for generations. I can imagine my kitchen ancestors picking up one of them, frowning slightly, and putting it back in the drawer, just like I do.

Afterliff

Post 14

Morseman

The nad I can relate to as I have to use car parks a fair bit, and the ticket machine is more often than not just that little bit out of reach as you lean out of the window...

Afterliff

Post 15

Morseman

I did wonder about how you would get an unseen history teacher. In my experience at school they were only too visible...

Afterliff

Post 16

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I was thinking about signing up for online courses at the Unseen University. smiley - smiley

Afterliff

Post 17

Morseman

I've started an album of photographs for the places that I've visited that are used in the book "After Liff". I have also bought a copy of "The Meaning of Liff", so I may start one for places in that book as well.

Link to my album is http://www.ipernity.com/doc/316779/album/519295

Key: Complain about this post