A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 16401

Cheerful Dragon

Enough of Christmas decorations! It's only November. I know that some people put their decorations up on 1st December, but even that's a bit early IMO. To me, Christmas means Christmas, not the whole of December.

Petty Hates

Post 16402

Pastey

I might actually put our up tonight. It's a rare night where I'm about to head home from the brewery before 8pm. So will possibly have time to do them, and I don't know when I next will.

Petty Hates

Post 16403

You can call me TC

I was talking about advent dex. They come down on Christmas Eve when the Christmas decorations go up.

Petty Hates

Post 16404

Cheerful Dragon

Fair enough. I haven't seen advent decorations since I lived with my parents. We had an advent ring that came out every year and a candle was lit on each of the four Sundays before Christmas. I haven't thought about it for years. Thanks for reawakening those memories.smiley - smiley

Mega hate from yesterday, although it's more annoyance with myself. I realised that I was increasing stitches too often on the sleeve I was knitting and had to unravel more than 40 rows. Considering that I want the cardigan to be finished by Christmas, this is quite a setback.

Petty Hates

Post 16405

SashaQ - happysad

I'm another one who votes for bananas being smiley - yuk - I can't stand the smell either, and even a whiff of it is unpleasant. I once tried to try a strawberry smoothie, but as soon as I went to sip it, I knew it had banana in it as well as strawberry, so that was that...

"PH Update: They had the cask upside down."

smiley - dohsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Petty Hates

Post 16406

SashaQ - happysad

Weirdly, the last page of this thread didn't appear until after I posted smiley - cdouble so I missed the last few postings, again, but never mind...

Ah, sorry to hear about the knitting troubles - I hope things go more smoothly for you from now on smiley - goodluck I need to do more knitting, as I'm int he middle of a cardigan too. Somehow I created two extra stitches somewhere, so that has put me off a bit. It would be quite straightforward to k2tog somewhere discreet, so I must get back to it...

Petty Hates

Post 16407

Cheerful Dragon

Hubby insisted that I start work on the top I want to wear at Christmas, so that gives me some more petty hates. One is the hassle of correcting mistakes made on a fancy pattern. It's a lacey top, lots of holes, day to miss creating one, hard to pick up a dropped stitch if it's not one of the 'bonds'. The second PH is working to a deadline, especially one that's as close as Christmas. Knitting is a hobby, something I do for pleasure. Deadlines make it feel like work.

Petty Hates

Post 16408

Cheerful Dragon

That should have read 'hard to miss creating one '. I must turn off predictive text and/or check what I've typed before I hit Post.

Petty Hates

Post 16409

Cheerful Dragon

It should also have been 'if it's not one of the holes '. Preview, preview, preview. Or just read before posting.

Petty Hates

Post 16410

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I really don't understand why people use predictive text and spelling correctors. They seem to do nothing but cause trouble. Would anyone care to try and enlighten me?

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16411

You can call me TC

When typing with thumbs on a small device which can be a challenge for people with fingers and thumbs (i.e., most of us), it's useful for long words. I leave it switched on on phone and tablet, but I make sure I pick the suggestion I want. I rarely get one wrong.

Petty Hates

Post 16412

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

PH: The concept of "networking" and the constant insistence of people that you "network".

smiley - pirate

Petty Hates

Post 16413

Baron Grim

When I get a new mobile device, the first thing I try to find is how to turn off the Auto Correct and Predictive Text. I do like the suggestions and I'll use those occasionally, and that's as "helpful" as I want text entry to ever be.

Petty Hates

Post 16414

Pastey

When people told me to "network" I went to the pub.

Bizarrely now that actually is my networking smiley - erm

Petty Hates

Post 16415

You can call me TC

I didn't realise that Predictive text and suggestions were different things.

Petty Hates

Post 16416

Baron Grim

When I said, 'predictive text' I guess I may have meant 'auto complete'.

The part I like is when I'm offered a list of suggestions, not when it finishes the word for me.

Petty Hates

Post 16417

Teasswill

Me too - but I want to optionally choose to select, not have to deselect if I don't want any.
It's taken me a while to work out how to use foreign script with the keyboard, which offers me lots of options.

Petty Hates

Post 16418

You can call me TC

Ah yes - I've seen that but it's not active on any of my devices, that thing where it completes the word for you. smiley - yuk

When I start to write a word I get a row of suggestions and if I'm fed up with typing, I can just tap the one that's right. If one of them is right. As I text in more than one language, it sometimes takes a while to work out which language to suggest a word in.

Petty Hates

Post 16419

Bluebottle

PH: bicycle gloves.
They're either too thick to wear and be able to operate gears and brakes, or so thin your thumbs freeze when you're cycling to work and it is, say, -5 or so.

<BB<

Petty Hates

Post 16420

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - sadface

My cycle gloves do have full thumb coverage and aren't too thick, but I must admit they aren't as warming as they have been in the past, as they have extra ventilation holes in them now thanks to the friction of pushing the wheelchair wearing them out...

Key: Complain about this post