This is the Message Centre for frenchbean

What's in our names?

Post 1

frenchbean

There are some great names here in h2g2 smiley - smiley

I wonder how people decided on them?

Mine came to me in a flash, because I was so keen to sign onto this amazing website and I had to think of something quickly. I tried Runnerbean initially, but it was already taken. So Frenchbean smiley - smiley it was - and is smiley - ok And now I kind of think of myself in RL as Frenchbean. Have I grown into the name?

And if that's the case, if I changed my RL name (like ZSF has done) would I grow into that too? In time do old names become redundant?

Having said that, I do hope not. My Dad smiley - doctor called me Mima all my life and I'd like to think if anybody ever called me that, I'd respond smiley - smiley

What's in our names?

Post 2

Wowbadger the spelling mistake

When I decided to come onboard I (innocently) thought that "wowbagger" would be available. That's my name in the B3TA community.
Someone there misread it as "wowbadger". So, allowing for a typo - here I is. smiley - erm

What's in our names?

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Frenchbean! After reading the Hitchhiker's Guide, I was very much taken with the idea of writing a Guide to the Universe. I chose the name Gnomon for myself as it embodies the way I feel about myself. I had decided to call it Gnomon's Guide to the Galaxy. When I stumbled across h2g2, I realised that here was the place where my dream could be realised.

What's in our names?

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I got mine from the Molesworth books - I was originally Goshoogoshoogosh.

"Go to study. Kane descend whack gosh oo gosh oo gosh and hares fly out like H bomb xplosion."

Not unsurprisingly it got shortened to Gosho, which I've since learned is Japanese for 'honoured writings' smiley - bigeyes

What's in our names?

Post 5

Ivan the Terribly Average

I first signed up under another name, which I decided I didn't like all that much; I was casting about for something that was more Me. I looked at the Online list and saw names like 'So-and-so the Great' and 'Someone the Magnificent', and started thinking - 'Well, I'm just average, really'. Then I glanced at the bookshelves and noticed the shelves where I keep things about psychopathic cases and Russian history (spot the difference smiley - winkeye). And so, a name was born...

smiley - redwineIvan.

What's in our names?

Post 6

Websailor

Hi, Frenchbean,

I cottoned on to yours because it sounded environmentally friendly, and I was right smiley - smiley

I got mine because I have been following various sailing challenges on the Net, like BT Global Challenge, and now John Ridgway's epic voyage to save the albatrosses. As I am never likely to sail myself, never having been the adventurous type I thought it would be a good name, and a twist on websurfer. I included smiley - dragon as part of my signature, as I seem to the one of the oldest I have encountered online at h2g2 smiley - laugh

Now there's a question smiley - eureka. Who is the oldest h2g2 inhabitant? smiley - laughsmiley - whistle

Thinking up nicknames and passwords is fun, and possibly shows elements of our personalities, while keeping some of the mystery smiley - ghost. After all we never really know if we are talking to someone from another smiley - planetsmiley - rofl

Websailor
smiley - dragon

What's in our names?

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I started out with the name I'm just changing my real name to (I'll complete the Deed Poll when I get back from the US - too complicated to do it before). I was thinking about a suitable h2g2 name and Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish! just came to me. I decided it was cooler to have a name starting with a Z rather than an H, so ZSF! it became. It's what Zaphod Beeblebrox said when he was sliding out of the marble nutrimatic cup suspended above the planet Brontitall. (Ford ignored his cries for help and goes on to explore the possible derivation of the phrase! smiley - laugh

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

What's in our names?

Post 8

frenchbean

smiley - smiley I'm glad I started this one: it's really interesting to hear of folks' reasons for their names and the importance that we attach to them.

I somehow think that Frenchbean has a hint of mystery and exotic-ness (exotisism?smiley - erm) and since I have *always* wanted to be a Woman of Mystery, it felt great. In fact, I will never be a W of M, but it's one of those completely unattainable dreams that I'm happy to cling onto smiley - roflsmiley - roflsmiley - somersault

None of your reasons are surprises.

I love the spelling mistake wowbadger smiley - laugh Reminds me of a Goon Show when the participants are introduced one by one, up to *Spike Milligna, the famous spelling mistake* smiley - laugh

Heard today that after 2 years of wrangling, Spike's headstone finally does say *I told you I was ill* - in Gaelic smiley - smileysmiley - ok

Gnomon smiley - smiley You do point us in the right direction smiley - ok And I'm not surprised your name has studious roots smiley - smiley

Well Gosho smiley - laugh what can I say? Molesworth. Presumably that particular passage appealed to you, as somebody who's folically challenged? smiley - evilgrinsmiley - run

Ivan smiley - ok I've always liked yours: very self-depricating, but witty smiley - oksmiley - smiley Psychology and Russian History? The 2 aren't a million miles apart are they?smiley - laugh

Websailor smiley - smiley I thought perhaps you do sail. I followed Emma Richardson on her rtw last year - fantastic. But you wouldn't get me doing that alone smiley - yikes I'm a warm weather and warm water sailor. I'll stick to the Coral Sea I think smiley - biggrin

ZSF smiley - smiley I've been wondering where it came from in the Book. Now I know. Great namesmiley - ok and it always puts you at the bottom of the list, so you're easy to spot smiley - smiley

Any more for any more?

smiley - cheers
Fbsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

What's in our names?

Post 9

Wildman - I'm not really mad, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!

Mine is pretty boring really. I've been involved for several years with a charity triathlon called '70 Wild Miles' A1080839 , in fact I run their website - and since I had first pick for a name on the forums there I grabbed Wildman. When I registered here, I just kept the name I was used tosmiley - winkeye.

What's in our names?

Post 10

Wildman - I'm not really mad, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years!

Just realised that link above is the original piecesmiley - blush, the Edited entry is at A1105507

What's in our names?

Post 11

Hypatia

I chose Hypatia because I couldn't think of anything else. I found h2g2 as part of a web search for a fantasy book club I was hosting at the library. I wanted to post a question so needed to join. Hypatia is the name of my web server. smiley - erm My mind went blank and since I was sure I wouldn't want to actually remain a member, I figured it didn't matter that much what I called myself.

What's in our names?

Post 12

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I must admit, Gosho, I knew your previous longer name, however, I hadn't identified it from the wonderful Molesworth books - and I thought I knew them reasonably well. 'Hello grass, hello trees, hello sky' smiley - run off to play 'Fairy Bells'! smiley - laugh

What's in our names?

Post 13

Number Six

Mine relates to 'The Prisoner' rather than a packet of fags... I am not Researcher 115522, I am a Free Man!

smiley - mod

What's in our names?

Post 14

And what's more, I wasn't follicly challenged when it first appealed to me - I was still at school and thoroughly hirsute up top smiley - winkeye

What's in our names?

Post 15

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Like 'my grate friend Peason'?

What's in our names?

Post 16

Who hav a face like a squished smiley - tomato and it's a wonder it did not bust the cammera? Yeah, that's him smiley - ok

What's in our names?

Post 17

frenchbean

Hello Wildman smiley - smiley That's just bonkers smiley - silly triathlons are mad! Hey: I thought it was swimming, cycling and running? How come yours has canoeing. Too woossy to swim Loch Etive eh????? (Like I'd even put a toe into Etive smiley - rofl) Pah! Not tough at all!

Hypatia: smiley - rainbow I love your name! I have a friend, who has briefly appeared here under the tag of Childless Friend, who really wants to be calle Hypatio, cos she has a roof garden! She was inspired by you, so look out for her... smiley - smiley

Number Six smiley - biggrin - well, I did wonder! smiley - cool reason for a name smiley - ok

Gosho smiley - smooch I'm sorry, I just do not believe that you were at school 5 years ago. That's a fib smiley - laugh And do we know for shur that Peason had a ful hed of hare?

smiley - cheers

What's in our names?

Post 18

frenchbean

OK, I'm still particularly intrigued by
Recumbentman
Lady Scott
Mudhooks
Pimms Lettuce
ShazzPrime
MotDoc - what is all that about???? smiley - huh
Master B
Broelan

Maybe I'll drop by and point them in this direction...

smiley - cheers

What's in our names?

Post 19

I know how a handful of those came about but I'll leave the owners to explain for themselves smiley - smiley

And it's been considerably more than five years since I was at school, but slightly less since I removed all of my barnet smiley - winkeye

What's in our names?

Post 20

frenchbean

smiley - laugh
Och, I do like a bald head smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post