A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Excel guru needed...

Post 21

Sho - employed again!

it works if I enter the formula etc before putting anything in the cells, but if I want to copy the cells over it ignores the format.

But I can't imagine I'll ever need it again...


Excel guru needed...

Post 22

Mu Beta

So you want to send me the file and I'll take a look.

B


Excel guru needed...

Post 23

Mu Beta

That was supposed to be 'DO you want to...'

I'm not that authoritarian.

B


Excel guru needed...

Post 24

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Liar


Excel guru needed...

Post 25

Sho - employed again!

oh I was liking Authoritarian MB...

it's ok, thanks, we checked the IBAN numbers - anything else is just me messing around because I'm underemployed.

smiley - smiley


Excel guru needed...

Post 26

Beatrice

New Excel problem for you:

I have a spreadsheet which contains formulae. I want to create a spreadsheet which displays ONLY the results of those formulae, but does not reveal the actual calculations. Is this possible?

TIA.


Excel guru needed...

Post 27

Witty Moniker

Try a copy and paste, make sure you select the 'paste values' option.


Excel guru needed...

Post 28

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Or use two sheets in the same workbook; one has the formulae for calculations, the other shows the value of the cell from the other page. Just a reference formula, but not the actual calculation.

smiley - towel


Excel guru needed...

Post 29

Beatrice

But if I want to send the result page to someone, without them being able to see the formulae....


Excel guru needed...

Post 30

Witty Moniker

Then use the copy and paste method, pasting to a new workbook, values only. Ideally, you'll want to paste the formatting as well if you adjusted column widths (for example) in the original workbook.


Excel guru needed...

Post 31

Witty Moniker

Having thought about this a bit more, this should be a very simple way to do this...

Do as 'Save As' and save the workbook/worksheet under a new name. The original file remains intact.

Then, select and copy the range of cells in the new worksheet containing formulas.

Next paste (with the values only option) right over the original selection.


Excel guru needed...

Post 32

Mu Beta

Ooh, hello. What happens around here, then?

^^That only works if the person you are sending to doesn't need to change any of the source values, which defeats the object of a spreadsheet.^^

What you actually need to do is Format Cells -> Protection and tick 'Locked' and 'Hidden'. Then you need to protect the sheet from the 'Review' menu.

**disappears for another few years**

B


Key: Complain about this post