A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

What is your preferred Sloe Gin recipe? Or similar?

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I'm curious, having had Sloe Gin at a relative's wedding, and partaken of a number of Gin flavoured with different herbs and spices.

This set me to thinking. How to make it.

Some recipes, from the distillers who make the gin, suggest just sloes and gin (but not the cheap stuff, obviously) while others say sloes, sugar and gin.

Then the sloes. Pick ripe, i.e. yielding when squeezed between finger and thumb, but then another problem.

Freeze or prick.

Then put into a sterilised bottle. Simple so far?

Now comes storage. Place in a cool, dark place. But upright or on its side. Some suggest rotating the bottle 180ยบ every other day, while others suggest shaking the bottle every other day. Then, after a month, do it weekly. And leave for as long as possible.

So who is right?

And has anyone any other recipes for flavoured gins?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

smiley - cheerssmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - stiffdrink

MMF

0/~


What is your preferred Sloe Gin recipe? Or similar?

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit chemical mixing
"Sometimes I poor some drops of anise oil into the gin smiley - stiffdrink. Gives a smiley - magic optical sparkling when chilled below 10 C.
10 drops at 1 liter of gin should do it. Tastes and looks like Uzo.

And if in need for some vitamins:
Two squeezed lemons in a 33cc glass, fill up to 1cm below the rim with gin. Empty in one swing, perfect smiley - pggb effect. "


What is your preferred Sloe Gin recipe? Or similar?

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

To me, "Sloes" is just a word that appears in crossword puzzles from time to time. smiley - smiley It seems to be a type of plum, no?


What is your preferred Sloe Gin recipe? Or similar?

Post 4

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Thanks TiT. Like the idea, but would have thought the Anise would overpower the juniper.

Paulh, in a sense. It is not something you would eat of the bush. Very astringent and will make your mouth pucker. Also bitter. For this reason it is often overlooked. But it works well with gin.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote


What is your preferred Sloe Gin recipe? Or similar?

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

In my college days, I tried all sorts of alcoholic options. Whiskey sours, for instance, which seemed to contain every sour liquid under the sun. You know how it is: you go to a party, and one of your more adventurous friends [in my case it was Lance, a diminutive singer with a very deep voice; he also worked as a part-time bartender] mixes up a challenging drink and dares you to keep it down. For the record, I drank it and kept it down, and was none the worse for wear.

I just wasn't into the bitter/sour drinks. I liked grasshoppers, which were true to form for me: minty and chocolatey tastes agree with me. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post