h2g2 Post 26.06.2000

0 Conversations


Posted: 26th June 2000

Another busy week in and around h2g2. Pastey made it to the church on time! We hope to have the full story and pictures for you next week, courtesy of Peta and Abi.

We have just received the results of the survey into the POST kindly carried out by Greebo T Cat, and will publish the results with suitable editorial comment next week.

Interesting Stories

Live worms and maggots are among the strange purchases people have made on the internet according to a new poll by the online company, Egg. The most popular online sales are CD's, books and train and concert tickets, but shoppers are using the web to buy more unusual items. Property on the moon and a stuffed crocodile were among the more bizarre products bought. The poll covered 4,000 customers who shop online.

This story is courtesy of Pseudemys.

In Melbourne, Australia, a 20-year old man held up a petrol station with a python. He brandished it 'in a threatening manner', paralysing the cashier
with terror, before getting away with his haul of a couple of magazines and a can of drink. After studying security film, the police made an arrest, but refused to comment on whether they had also apprehended the reptile.(Source: Metro, 16-6-2000)

Science Stories

A miniature satellite is due to blast off on a mission to clean up space. A 'nanosatellite' called Snap, developed by a team of UK scientists, has been designed to target and destroy space junk. Huge amounts of debris from 40 years of space missions is orbiting the Earth threatening to smash into satellites. Snap, due to blast off on June 28th, will latch onto debris and slow it down so that it burns up in the atmosphere.

A former rocket scientist and US millionaire may be the first space tourist on a flight planned next year to the Russian Space Station Mir. Former NASA engineer Dennis Tito, 59, who will pay millions of dollars for the flight, said that he had wanted to go into space for more than 40 years.

Mr Tito represents the first of a generation of people who has the means and the dream.

said Mircorp, the group behind the commercial flights to space.

Quotes of the Week

  • Might we restore our sporting reputation by swapping the England Football Team with the England Cricket Team?

    The Duke of Buccleuch (I doubt it! ed.)

  • I lived in Romania for two years and they deserved to win in the football. They have built 300 monasteries in the past 10 years.

    Victoria Clark, authoress of Why Angels Fall: A journey Through Orthodox Europe from Byzantium to Kosova

  • It sounds silly, but I've nothing to wear

    The Reverend Peter Stone, who is embarking on a change of sex.

  • I don't see women as something to use anymore. I try to see them as my sisters.

    Jazz artist George Benson

  • I am a cheese; I am, I hope, a good Camembert, or even a very fine wine

    Left-Bank chanteuse Juliette Greco

ShazzPRME

  • 1-2-1

  • This week we interview Demon Drawer.

  • Take5


  • The pick of this week's batch of new Guide entries.

  • Cambodia


  • This week: Two different styles of Museums .


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A391439

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more