Recipes

0 Conversations

This week we give you the recipe to complete your alcoholic meal!

Braised Beef In Burgundy

  • 2oz (50g) lard

  • 2lb (1kg) lean stewing steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into cubes

  • 4oz (100g) streaky bacon, rinded and cut into 1" pieces

  • 8 small onions or shallots, peeled and left whole

  • 1 garlic clove, crushed

  • 1 tablespoon flour

  • 1/4pint (150ml) beef stock or canned consomme

  • 1/4pint (150ml) red wine

  • 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs

  • 1 small bay leaf

  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the lard in a heavy pan, add the meat and fry briskly, a few pieces at a time, until sealed and brown. Drain (It is a good idea to use absorbent kitchen paper to remove excess fat!) and place in a casserole dish.

Add the bacon to the pan and fry briskly, then stir in the onions, or shallots, and garlic and fry for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the flour and allow to brown, stirring occasionally. Gradually add the stock and red wine, the mixed herbs, ( Those neat little herb cubes are great to use in this... use 2!) and bay leaf and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. When the sauce has thickened, add seasoning to taste and pour over the meat.

Cook the casserole, covered, in a moderate oven, (180C/350F or Gas Mark 4) for 2 to 2* hours or until the meat is tender. Remove the bay leaf.

To Freeze:

Cool quickly, cover, seal and freeze.

To Serve:

Reheat the frozen dish, covered, in a moderate oven (as before) for 1 to 1* hours or until heated through. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Please send in your favourite recipes, or make suggestions as to what you would like us to feature in the future.

The Recipe Archive

shazzPRME

26.06.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A377138

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more