h2g2's Alternative Prospectus

37 Conversations

Students on graduation day.

Following on from the massive success of our Help Build the h2g2 Guide to the UK project, which launched in October 2005 and resulted in over 100 Entries on the counties of the UK, we're now aiming to produce a Guide to Universities - the h2g2 Alternative Prospectus.

We're hoping we can get h2g2 Researchers to volunteer to take on a university each - though, as was the case last time, we're also treating this as a rather large 'Topic of the Week'. What we'd like you to do is - after checking there isn't a conversation thread on your university already - start a conversation on this page relating to your university. If there's already a thread, we'd like you to contribute as much info as you can to it. If you know of interesting websites that might be useful, then please post the URL rather than copying the material directly.

Just to give you an idea what we're after, we would like each entry to have the following information:

  • The general location of the university, including information on how to get there, and the nearest towns and attractions. Is it a campus university? Do students mingle happily with locals?
  • Number of students
  • Achievements - the position in Sunday Times League table, for example
  • Approximate grade requirements
  • The main towns and cities there, plus any tourist attractions or places of note
  • A basic history of the university, including its year of foundation
  • Facilities
  • Popular courses - strong departments
  • Special tips and fascinating facts - is it good form to wear a mortar board in the dining area?
  • Famous alumni

Just post your information as part of the conversation and then we'll look for volunteers to collate the info into entries.

Universities we already have Entries on are:

However, we'd welcome conversation threads on these too, in order that we can keep them as up-to-date as possible.

Entries that are already in Peer Review:

We're also looking for Entries on university-sector colleges - that is, institutions that aren't universities but which run a substantial number of degree courses, or international universities. So - if your seat of learning is absent from the list, then don't despair - we want to hear from you too! We'd like our prospectus to be as comprehensive as possible.

So, you'll see there's a lot of work to do...


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3546308

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more