WRITERS LIBRARY

4 Conversations

You enter the lobby of the enormous Writers Library, a vast repository of knowledge containing links to resources on h2g2 and elsewhere that help with writing for the Guide. A great ape greets you and gestures toward the suggestion box. If you have a suggestion for a writing-related link, please post it here Suggested Links for the Writers Library... ook!

THE WRITERS LOUNGE

Just off the lobby, you find The Writers Lounge where you can hang out, ask questions of your fellow Researchers, make small talk about what you're working on, show off what you've done so far, or ask for suggestions.1 Intrigued by snippets of intelligent, helpful conversation escaping from the Writers Lounge, you step closer to see Researchers working independently and in small groups in a friendly, casual atmosphere toward a common goal - contributing to the Guide. Here you can work on your entry while helping other Researchers work on theirs... or you can just goof off amongst your peers.

MAIN LIBRARY

As you enter the main library, the Librarian swings among the shelves several feet above your head as he returns books and scrolls to their places.

References on Getting Ideas

H2G2 Speaker's Corner Opinion entries
Flea Market Rescue an abandoned entry from oblivion.
Random Logline Generator! Trigger an idea with this fun generator.
Overcoming Writer's Block

H2G2 Writing Workshops

Edited Guide Writing Workshop
Alternative Writing Workshop
Writing Workshops A list of researcher guide entries on writing


Style & Usage Manuals

Learning to Write on h2g2 Links for Researchers
Writing for the Edited Guide Elements of a well-written Edited Guide entry
Edited Guide Style English usage for the Edited Guide
Alternative Writing Guidelines UnGuide Guidelines for Alternative Guide Entries
The Alternative - Alternative Writing Guidelines Three Easy Alternative Writing Guidelines
Strunk's Elements of Style Rules of usage and principles of composition most commonly violated
Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynn Truss - online punctuation pdf, educational companion to the book.
On-line Dictionaries, Thesauri, Style Guides, etc - Bels' amazing entry

Spell Checking & Grammar Checking

Spell Checker (manned) for the human touch in spell and punctuation checking
smiley - disco SPELL CHECKER smiley - disco This site spellchecks blocks of text in UK and US English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian!
One Look Dictionary Search engine that accesses many important dictionaries... helpful in spelling.

Graphics

h2g2 Picture Library Artwork for GuideML pages
Community Art More artwork for GuideML pages
The h2g2 Photographers & Their Photographs

More Help Links

Named Entries A list of names instead of numbers for frequently accessed help pages
GuideML-Clinic The how-to for GuideML, the pliable format for entries

Ook! Periodicals

Read all about it in The Postsmiley - thepost

Ook! PRIVATE COLLECTIONS ROOM

Browse through your fellow Researchers favorite reading material and media inspiration. The Librarian can list your private collection too. Once you enter the Private Collections Room, just post your stuff in the Private Collections Portal thread.

Ook ? CATALOGUING ROOM

Writing-Collaborative - defunct... okay got an idea... make something like it in here.... So, essentially it would be a thread here for researchers who have a bare-bones idea to offer it for other researchers to collaborate in building the idea... deciding on content etc... even helping writing it ultimately... if they so wish.

1This text block was spell checked by the SPELL CHECKER.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A24846834

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more