A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The offtopic smiley

Post 61

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

oo! me too! now my attention such as it is, has been drawn to this fact.

and.

furthermore.

this is a very corect observation. I'm not in my miniskirt today. more a kind of lose gypsy flowing hippy thing smiley - blushsmiley - divasmiley - handbag

*hunts for the camra hidden in the house*

The offtopic smiley

Post 62

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I liked "plant killerizer." I hope it catches on. smiley - smiley I'm not sure what it will catch on, but I assume something will turn up.

I don't blame you for having hallucinations and worse while buying vegetables. I often get unnerved in supermarket checkout lines smiley - steam. That's normal. I hope being normal doesn't cause you distress, 2Legs. smiley - smiley

The offtopic smiley

Post 63

I doubt much causes ddistress anymore smiley - zen

grocery shopping can however... useually in those instances, when one is given a choice of lots and lots, of seemingly identicle products, and, where there is nothing to chose between them.... and... so I can't chose! - often I'll just end up not buing any smiley - laughsmiley - snork too much choice is bad soemtimes smiley - laugh

The offtopic smiley

Post 64

I can never figure out why there are so many different types of bandages. How many types does one need?

The offtopic smiley

Post 65

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Cuts, abrasions, and burns. Further variations due to size.

smiley - pirate

The offtopic smiley

Post 66

Also broken bones. But I think of those more as splints.

smiley - pirate

The offtopic smiley

Post 67

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

also bandages for compression and er.... holding things like triangular bandages... smiley - erm

The offtopic smiley

Post 68

When I'm trying to buy bandages in a store, there are numerous sizes, and different brands. If I want 1.5" X .5" bandages, do I overpay for the box by a big-name brand, or pay less for a generic box that has the size I want plus some sizes that I don't?

The offtopic smiley

Post 69

Generic. As is true of all medical supplies.

Name brands fudge with formulas so they can keep their patents and inflated prices, but they don't change the formula enough to actually change affects. "Store brand" medicine is exactly as good as name brands because if it wasn't the FDA would prevent them from selling it in the first place.

From a nutritional standpoint the same is true of food, but at least with food there's also taste to be concerned about.

However -- when it comes to medical tape (and, really, all forms of tape) -- I would consider buying the more expensive tape. In my experience cheap tape is more difficult to handle and tangles more easily.

Notably, tape does not fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA.

smiley - pirate

The offtopic smiley

Post 70

Baron Grim

Speaking of tape, I'm looking forward to a consumer version of GeckSkinĀ®.

http://geckskin.umass.edu/

The offtopic smiley

Post 71

the tape the hospital used on me, the last coule of days, is truely epically terrible! smiley - laugh seriously... barely sticks wehn you want it, then sticks to high hell, when and where you want to remove it; yet, after washing, in teh shower, soap, showergel etc; there's still tape residue on the skin?! - and, I can't even wash/scrub hard in teh areas they've taped it, due to the injury ,laugh> smiley - laughsmiley - laugh and the dressing they've used... - what?! just, so... wrong; there are no square sections of the human body; so why make the bandage/dressing square? smiley - laugh - however, I'm making a better shot at putting it on myself, when I redress it, than the nurse did which is kinda... worrying really smiley - laugh I only get generic drugs, unless they're scripted by the hospital or GP: I've a magic card now, so I don't have to pay for those smiley - laugh just as well given the tens of thousands of pounds worth of drugs I've had pumped into me this year... so far smiley - laugh

The offtopic smiley

Post 72

I wouldn't worry unless they gave you the kind of dressing they'd give a turkey. smiley - winkeye

The offtopic smiley

Post 73

smiley - laughsmiley - magic well... t tug and tug and rip and ouch... I finally got the last dressing off... ltting things air after cleaning it with saline and gauze now smiley - zen =- mayb esome ceaser dressing for a change... smiley - winkeye

The offtopic smiley

Post 74

Baron Grim

A phlebotomist advised me to pull bandages in the direction of your hairs. I was skeptical, but it seemed to work.

Of course it doesn't help with the residue issue. smiley - cross

The offtopic smiley

Post 75

well, luckily I've no hairs on my chest, that bit was easy to remove, and I never used to have any on my back, but, just the skin there, sort of betwween armpit and shoulder/back, seemes really sort of thin... and... it was so well stuck down! smiley - laugh and ther'es residue everywehre now from the stickness... - gona try bathing later, nope that might clear the stickyness of... hmm, I wonder how much one of my bath bombs will hurt when the wound gets in it? smiley - laugh only one way to find out smiley - snork

The offtopic smiley

Post 76

Baron Grim

Rubbing alcohol may help remove the residue.

The offtopic smiley

Post 77

Guess I could use some alcohol hand gel I've tons of that floating about... but honstly not sure I've sufficient movement in the right arm, over to that side to reach it! smiley - laugh gosh... I'm a right bluddy wreck thesedays - I'll just make do with drinking some alcohol, and then I'll not notice the stickness residue smiley - laughsmiley - snorksmiley - stiffdrink (yeh, like I could put booze into my tummy whilst feeling like this... smiley - wah ) smiley - snork

damn, and now its time to feed the drugs... so hungry! a pizza for four people. for one. - I'm skipping having any frys/chips with it; but only so I can have them later to accompany the drugs later on smiley - laughsmiley - wah so fat now smiley - wah

The offtopic smiley

Post 78

You should also put alcohol on before applying the tape, to remove the oils, sweat, and gunk that keeps it from sticking in the first place.

smiley - nurse

The offtopic smiley

Post 79

smiley - zen it was looking so much better after my bath, I didn't think it'd need a dressing.... Let it breathe for awhile, then noticed some less necrotic secretions; no disgusting nectrotic smell! smiley - laugh

cleaned the area, even though I'd not long had the bath, with saline and gauze; looked at the rubbish dressing and pad they'd given me....

got the sissors out.

got a reel of gaffa tape.

steralised sissors with alcohol gel, steralised hands again, with it too, then used gauze for dressing, and gaffa tape, two bits to the shoulder, two on to the breast, and one at top onto inside arm/armpi, and one to the bottom to the ... sort of flank.

smiley - wow - I can move my arm with the dressing on! smiley - laugh - 100% better than the nurses efforts smiley - sorry - she was so just using the wrong shaped/sized pads, dressings; woudl have been better using medical tape, of course, but I dinny have any smiley - doh - must get in some decent basic medical supply, like that, as clearly the hospital stuff ain't always right <doh. smiley - dohsmiley - zen - actually; I might now be able to sleep, for the first time in err, about 50 odd hours, tonight, now I've a dressing on that means I can move my arm, and it isn't constantly hurting smiley - laughsmiley - zensmiley - grovel

The offtopic smiley

Post 80

You did it better than the nurse could have? smiley - wow

You are awesome, 2Legs!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more