A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Eurovision - a better voting system

Post 21

Pink Paisley

I need an edit button. I used the word 'taste' in the context of the ESC.

PP.

Post 22

swl

But that's the point - the tastes may well be regional but the songs being presented aren't. The "ethnic" songs are in the minority.

Incidentally, when did the UK start failing so spectacularly and does it tie in with any particular event?

Post 23

Gnomon - time to move on

I used to think that. But I could see no difference musically or culturally between the different entries, yet everyone voted regionally.

Post 24

Gnomon - time to move on

I blame the Brits' bad performance on Terry Wogan. He instilled a culture in the UK of thinking the Eurovision is rubbish, whereas other countries recognise it as Europop gay kitsch-trash-fest.

Post 25

Orcus

Is Terry Wogan well known in Ireland? I've often wondered about that. He's a complete legend here - and he LOVES the eurovision song contest. Taking the mickey is just his style.

Post 26

Gnomon - time to move on

Terry Wogan is very well known in Ireland.

Post 27

U14993989

>> Incidentally, when did the UK start failing so spectacularly and does it tie in with any particular event? <<

The biggest shift (sea-change) was between 2002 when the UK finished third and 2003 when the UK finished last with absolutely no points. Since then the UK's results have been dreadful apart from one year. There was also possibly a bit of a shift between 1998 and 1999. Early 2003 was when Blair + Bush started bombing Iraq ... accusing them of having WMDs and being somehow in cohorts with Al-Qaeda.

Post 28

Orcus

Hmmm, I've never been convinced that was an actual causation and I'm certainly unconvinced by it being a continuing reason. The voting public can have a short memory.
Also it doesn't explain the similarly poor performances of Germany and France.

How is it that Italy get counted in 'the big five'? It was a revelation to me last year that they were even in it. They were notably absent from the Eurovision for quite a long time until then (at least I think it was last year).

Post 29

Bluebottle

I'd love to see anonymous voting. Where instead of knowing which country the singer represents, all you know is 'Random Act 1'. Admittedly the language would be a bit of a clue in some cases...

And also possibly limit it to countries actually in Europe - perhaps defined by the European Economic Area, but including Switzerland and the Aegean countries, but not Turkey (except the bit on the European side) and countries like Belaris, Ukraine or Russia (except the biddy Baltic bit).

I still want to see the Vatican enter.

<BB<

Post 30

Gnomon - time to move on

Ukraine and Belarus are entirely within Europe. And the area of Russia that is in Europe is probably greater than that of any other country in Europe.

Post 31

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I miss Terry Wogan - despite our inability to do well (whether our songs were good or not) I always enjoyed his commentary on it smiley - laugh

Post 32

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

Is Greenland allowed to vote? Do they come under the Denmark votes?

Post 33

Pink Paisley

We seem to be a major contributor and seem to get little out of it. The poles are stealing all of our words and I understand that relaxing the rules is likely to mean that over the next year or so, the Romanians will take practically all of the notes as well.

Nigel Farage would pull us out of Eurovision.

PP.

Post 34

Mol - on the new tablet

Oh I'd happily pay the licence fee just for Eurovision smiley - smiley

2003 was the year of Scooch, wasn't it? Or Jemini? I mean, the point is, the UK hasn't entered a decent song since 2002. Hence the low scores.

Mol

Post 35

Orcus

Aside from the Grand National that wasn't, Jemini on Eurovision was the single funniest moment in television history. smiley - biggrin

Post 36

swl

Ooyah - I had to go looking. That's painful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw

Post 37

Deb

Good grief, I made it through two lines of singing before I had to quit. She sounded worse than me - and believe me, that's saying something!

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 38

U14993989

>> Ooyah - I had to go looking. That's painful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu5kgSeZHfw <<

Fair enough nulle point. Maybe the UK were having a laff picking that as the national song for 2003

... but I'm not sure the song that won in 2003 was much better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2yeAPQVB1Ismiley - shrug

Post 39

Mol - on the new tablet

Yes, it's truly dreadful, from the moment she opens her mouth.

For a Eurovision smiley - wah of a different kind, try Nicole (Germany) from 1982.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnjahffO7eI

She's playing her own guitar and singing lyrics in - what? four? languages (I lost count cos I got too choked up: I can remember that moment, when she suddenly dropped into English and we all sat stunned, so well). Without any fireworks or glitter or naked dancers or a man being a shadow in a box. I mean, I like all that stuff. But it doesn't necessarily make a winner. Think Alexander Rybak.

Not that Bonnie had any naked men hidden under her skirt. She might have scored a bit more if she had.

Mol

Post 40

Mol - on the new tablet

Sorry, I was commenting on Jemini. The winner that year was marginally better (I can last an entire verse, rather than the two seconds of Jemini). I wonder if there was something wrong with the mikes or the radio feed or something.

Mol

Key: Complain about this post