A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Daylight savings...

Post 1

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

Once again it's upon us - the must to get up an hour too early. The entire me protests, and I know I've got a dreadful week or two ahead before I've adjusted. A scientific study published in 2008 showed that the rate of myocardial infarctions rise when the Daylight savings starts and diminishes when the clock is put back in order again.

The financial benefits of less money spent on electricity for lights is often consumed by increased use of electricity for air conditioning and similar.

Are there any real benefits of messing around with the clock?

smiley - dragon

Daylight savings...

Post 2

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'm going to have to leave Terri's a hour earlier than I thought.

TRiG.smiley - run

Daylight savings...

Post 3

IctoanAWEWawi

isn't the usual argument about schoolkids and farmers in scotland or something? Being neither I don't really pay much attention.

But I do know it is a royal pain in the butt for programmers who have to deal with time and date a lot - the clock change procedure we used for forecasting electricity was one of the more complicated and confusing sections of code I've worked on.

Daylight savings...

Post 4

Xanatic

I remember reading a letter from a farmer, complaining that the recent drought was likely due to the extra hour of sunshine that daylight savings created. smiley - biggrin

Daylight savings...

Post 5

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

It's an international conspiration to force me to start w*rk an hour earlier without compensation...

smiley - dragon

Daylight savings...

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Well - I like the longer daylight in the evenings! smiley - cool I hate it when the hour goes back in the Autumn. smiley - blue

Daylight savings...

Post 7

toybox

I'm not against either summer time or winter time (although I have a slight preference for summertime's long evenings).

It's this cursed switching back and forth which makes me smiley - grr

Daylight savings...

Post 8

Mrs Zen

I'm with Lanzababy - it's coming up 7:30pm and it's still light. WooHOoo!

smiley - somersault

That makes me very happy.

Daylight savings...

Post 9

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Were you born in the Summer or the Winter Mrs Zen? I'm a Summer baby myself and detest the darkness with a vengeance.

Daylight savings...

Post 10

Mrs Zen

April. Though I'm not sure that's got anything much to do with it, myself.

Daylight savings...

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

You're probably right - although anecdotally those whose birthdays fall after the clocks go back in the Autumn seem to cope with the dark better than I do.

Daylight savings...

Post 12

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

So what do those of us who were born on another continent, closer to the Equator do? smiley - sadface

Daylight savings...

Post 13

hygienicdispenser

Curse your bad luck that you were not born in England smiley - tongueincheek

Daylight savings...

Post 14

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well that goes without saying..So I rant about it every damned year.

Anyway it was already getting lighter in the mornings and late afternoons before we fecked about with the clocks.

Personally I'd just like to let my body NATURALLY get used to the changing daylight hours.Let the natural order of things take place instead of ritually messing about with the clocks each spring and autumn.

Daylight savings...

Post 15

sigsfried

Personally I would prefer it if the change was gradual, but it would never happen as people just couldn't accept a 2 minute change every day for a month.

Daylight savings...

Post 16

They would if we just left the clocks out of it..

Man discovers time,finds a way of measuring it and then can't leave the gadgetry alone for a bluddy second...

Sometimes I think we should just throw away all the time pieces..

Daylight savings...

Post 17

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

i thank my lucky stars i was not born in the country you stole from my peoplesmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Daylight savings...

Post 18

Mol - on the new tablet

I spend all summer running around trying to do all the things I would have done in the hour that They stole from me last night (well, effectively this morning, because I was asleep during the actual theft). I'm with Incog, They should stop messing about with it.

smiley - cross

Mol

Daylight savings...

Post 19

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

BST is an abomination. Nothing more, nothing less. if we collectively were that* bothered about it all, why not just settle on a single GMT which was half way betix the two... smiley - erm

Daylight savings...

Post 20

Todaymueller

>>One or two dreadfull weeks<< Just for twiddling the dial on your watch for a single hour ? Hard to believe this is not an exageration.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more