In Living Memory?

Post 61

Taff Agent of kaos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri59vTPDEQQ

smiley - bat

In Living Memory?

Post 62

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

WOW, ...the days back then, when the birds didn´t wear tattoos...

In Living Memory?

Post 63

Rod

Aha! Results! Wheeee!

Thanks, folks, all entertaining - delightful.

On a quick recap, we're getting on much better... any more for Man on the moon, Berlin Wall coming down... etc. etc. etc?

>>Get a gang of ex Servicemen together, write your memoirs and I have a safe bet you won´t be able to sell it as nonfiction.<<
...Or any other way, likely!
No smiley - applause please - just throw money

PS. Is Bill Stickers still on the run?

In Living Memory?

Post 64

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Bill Stickers?...yes, that was me smiley - blush(or rather I was his accomplice)
A52007384

eh? how come this thread keeps on making me blush? I was a good girl, honest!

In Living Memory?

Post 65

Rod, were you ever stationed in WetMold, Germany? If so you know Siegfriedstrasse - German hovels on the left, British on the right.

I drew the short straw and had to run outside getting cigs for dad.

It was frightening - ghost town. No people, no cars, nothing moving...silence hanging low in no man´s land.

And suddenly a ROAR from behind every window. I nearly jumped out of my shoes.

Football finals England vs Germany. The Wembley Goal.

In Living Memory?

Post 66

anne-o-mally

I remember being on a train to Wales in 1990 (to celebrate Hogmanay with a friend) when it was announcd that M. Thatcher had left the building!smiley - elvis

Oh, the joy in that carraige was amazing - a huge cheer went up when someone announced it. That put the cherry on the topping of that New Year's celebrationssmiley - hug

Sorry if that is not the sort of thing you are after, but it was a momentous occasion for somesmiley - smiley

In Living Memory?

Post 67

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Wow. smiley - ok Some interesting memories.
We had just got TV (B&W) when you were serving in the Suez Rod-the-Brit.

I remember (cannot seem to forget) footage of ships being scuttled to block the canal and French and British paratroopers being machine gunned before they hit the ground. TV news was new and they showed everything.

And the footage from Hungary (1956) of people, men, women, kids running for their lives as Russian tanks machine gunned them in the streets of Budapest. And men and boys tossing Molotov cocktails and being run over by burning tanks.

And in spite of seeing all this death on 'film', I cannot forget watching Jack Ruby on live TV shooting Lee Harvey Oswald. We had been glued to the set since the assassination and the American networks were still covering it all 'live'.

But enough about TV memories!
Let's hear more about the real whirled.
Sleeping bags in Vauxhauls and sand castles and lunches in the Concorde.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

In Living Memory?

Post 68

Och, come on jwf - most of our memories are somehow connected with TV (and one with a screen as small as an oscilloscope´s, and B&W of course.) The first worldwide TV show via satellite, the Beatles shown recording in the studio and one week later "Telstar" was the #1 chart hit...

In Living Memory?

Post 69

Taff Agent of kaos

while in germany one summer bank holiday weekend

i went to cologne for a weekend on the popsmiley - winkeye

i bought a return ticket, and in germany if you have a valid ticket there is a heated waiting room you can use at night.

being a roughty tuffy squadie along with some change of clothes and some toiletries i took my sleeping bag.

dumpping my bag in the lugage lockers i went on the town,

early hours of the morning came back to the station, got out the bag and in the waiting room got my head down.

and that was the blueprint for the weekend

all the money i saved on a hotel room i spent on drinksmiley - cheers

smiley - bat

In Living Memory?

Post 70

anne-o-mally

All I can say is - good man Taffsmiley - laugh

In Living Memory?

Post 71

Anne, you should have seen him ~20 years ago in the pub when the landlord set his drink on fire.smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

In Living Memory?

Post 72

Taff Agent of kaos

22yag

smiley - bat

In Living Memory?

Post 73

So your nose hairs have grown back?smiley - evilgrin

In Living Memory?

Post 74

Taff Agent of kaos

blister on inside of bottom lipsmiley - wah!!!!!......glass was hotsmiley - erm????

smiley - bat

In Living Memory?

Post 75

...and when you were a new customer he would stay quiet - until you came in with a freshly conquered gf or some colleagues...then he would sit on your lap and call you Darlings.smiley - biggrin

In Living Memory?

Post 76

Taff Agent of kaos

smiley - oksmiley - grrsmiley - hugsmiley - blushsmiley - runsmiley - blushsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - ticklesmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - evilgrinsmiley - cheerupsmiley - rosesmiley - brave

smiley - bat

In Living Memory?

Post 77

anne-o-mally

Again - good man, Taffsmiley - smiley

In Living Memory?

Post 78

Anne...

http://english-pub.de/inhalt/bild_17.html

In Living Memory?

Post 79

anne-o-mally

Where is my Jamesons there?? That is an English Pub - am not amused, as Queen Vic is reputed to have said.smiley - rolleyes

Love ye anyway Pit...

anne

In Living Memory?

Post 80

Look at the shelf behind the ugly landlord - Jamie there. Bushmills Malt, too. And dearest, to quote Curt Goetz: Not being in love with you would take a superhuman effort.

Key: Complain about this post