A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Oh the stereotypes

Post 81

~:*-Venus-*:~

The Germans
Obsessed by beach towels and sun loungers!

Oh the stereotypes

Post 82

dasilva

Making fast cars and driving them smiley - erm fast...in the outside lane or around racetracks at least

(Except for the Audi TT which hasn't figured out how to go around corners yet)

Oh the stereotypes

Post 83

Dark Side of the Goon

The Germans: terribly well ordered, lovers of uniforms. Often found drinking lager whilst wearing small leather shorts and slapping themselves.

No sense of humour, apparently...but then they flock to David Hasselhoff concerts and why would they do that unless they had a terrifically well developed sense of the ridiculous?

Oh the stereotypes

Post 84

dasilva

They send a Christmas market to Birmingham every year from Frankfurt and with ruthless efficiency, or an overactive sense of irony, take it down the weekend before Christmas smiley - silly

Oh the stereotypes

Post 85

E G Mel

I remeber seeing that last year, it was really cool, didn't realise they got rid of it before Xmas, that's just smiley - silly though I suppose they want an Xmas too.

Mel smiley - hsif

Oh the stereotypes

Post 86

AgProv2

"No sense of humour, apparently...but then they flock to David Hasselhoff concerts and why would they do that unless they had a terrifically well developed sense of the ridiculous?"

I did hear that one of the most popular comedy shows in Germany is Benny Hill....

OK, slapstick visual humour travels well with no need for subtitles, but you do have to worry about a people who consider Benny Hill to be "sophisticated British comedy"

Another interesting thing about Germany... a recent winner of "Who wants to be a millionaire?" (German edition), who actually got the million, is a practicing prostitute from wherever, and a lot of her regular customers actually rang the TV station to boast about it and share in the glory.... I don't know if it's still up there, probably not, but the RTL website gave this a very high profile!

No moral or moralising, but if this was in England, would the contestant have given "prostitute" as her occupation, and would the proud punters have rung up Celador to congratulate her?

Oh the stereotypes

Post 87

badger party tony party green party

Neat and orderly people who keep their streets clean.

Take hygeine very seriously can often be sen taking golden showers.smiley - ermsmiley - run

smiley - rainbow

Oh the stereotypes

Post 88

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

Love humourless electronic music in the mode of Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk etc. Though show their more gentle side by loving over the top heavy metal bands like The Scorpions.

Oh the stereotypes

Post 89

Livingadream

germans are really nice in general but when i went over there there was a propensity for the women to dye their heads read, and the Nazi on time thing still exists and they do have a strange humour...

Oh the stereotypes

Post 90

dasilva

They have a particular fondness for Monty Python and a strange B&W silent English film about a buttler slowly getting his master more and more smiley - drunk at Christmas.

And it's said that Benny HIll knew exactly what he was doing, that it was all pre-post-modern-pre-PC-irony smiley - winkeye

Oh the stereotypes

Post 91

Dark Side of the Goon

Benny Hill a master of post modern irony?

I think I sprained my mind trying to think my way around that...which means it's probably true.

Another thing about Germans - stoicism.

Al Murray, standup comedian and faux landlord, has an explanation for this. He says:

Everybody actually thinks in English. This means that the English speaking nations of the world say what'son their mind pretty much immediately. In the case of pain, you stub your toe and say "Ouch, I hurt my foot."

Now, a Frenchman who stubs his toe seems to have that Gallic indifference to pain...but here's what's really going on - his toe sends a pain signal to his brain, which then has to translate the message into spoken french. Which would be "Mon Dieu, j'ai blesse mon pied!". Now, remembering which order that comes in takes a moment.

In the case of the German, well, he's got that whole three gender thing to worry about...so his brain is thinking "I've hurt my foot. Is foot masculine, femenine or neuter? And is it noun, then verb? Or verb then noun? And what's the German for foot anyway?"

By the time he works it out, the pain is gone. So he doesn't have to say anything. Hence the reputation for stocism.

Oh the stereotypes

Post 92

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Except the English have a reputation (entirely undeserved) for stoicism - stiff upper lip and all that. I can't believe the Welsh were dismissed with work in mines and sing a lot. What about burn cottages down, play rugby, talk a lot etc.

Oh the stereotypes. Part five - the Welsh

Post 93

E G Mel

smiley - sheep

ermm.... smiley - ermsmiley - winkeye

Oh yeah, like Rugby, have a nice accent and if you go to places like Bangor you'll realise just how much they hate the English, the signposts were graffittied to remove the English names. smiley - yikes

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 94

the third man(temporary armistice)n strike)

The Welsh and singing!

As they say " All the Welsh sing, the sad thing is - most of them can't!"

Post 95

Crunchy Frog

Missed out the English belief that we are the best in the world at any sport worth mentioning, namely those we invented, matched only by our ability to talk our way out of it when we losesmiley - winkeye

Post 96

Beatrice

The Welsh....

consigned to Room 101 by Anne Robinson.

Post 97

creachy

though they did produce Twin Town which is an all time classic in my bookssmiley - ok right up there with Love, Honour and Obeysmiley - biggrin

are we on the welsh now then:

smiley - sheep

smiley - run

Post 98

E G Mel

That's what the title says!

Mel smiley - hsif

Post 99

A Super Furry Animal

Wales - where men are men and sheep are nervous!

Post 100

creachy

smiley - ok

joyriders
love the valleys
hate queers
take Valium

that's what my welsh mate is like anyway so empirically speaking, they're all like thatsmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post