A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 41

six7s

Great idea smiley - ok

If you're still looking for contributors I'd be happy to write something - perhaps on *Approved GuideML*

One suggestion - devote one (other) page to explaining jargon/acronyms

six7s smiley - winkeye

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 42

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

I've made that suggestion to RhoMuNuQ, and he should put it on the index with his next update. (He takes some convincing at times, even when I'm always right smiley - winkeye)

spelugx --

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 43

Rho

One update coming up smiley - winkeye

six7s - I was going to write the article on Approved GuideML, incorporating SEF's postings from a thread. Would you like to write one of the other articles on the list or to write a new article not currently on the list? smiley - smiley

Spelugx - smiley - laugh

RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 44

six7s

As *Jargon and Acronyms* is now on the list - I'd be happy to tackle that smiley - smiley

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 45

Rho

You're hired! smiley - winkeye

Thanks for offering to help smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 46

six7s

My first thoughts relate to layout and I'm thinking of using a format along the lines of A882713

Any thoughts?

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 47

Rho

Listing the terms alphabetically is a good idea, but I don't think there are as many terms to define as there are items in A882713 so the layout might not be appropriate.

Perhaps instead using Headers for each letter and Subheaders for each term would work? If there were anchors at each header and subheader, that would be useful for when other entries link to a definition of one of the terms used. smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 48

six7s

Point taken smiley - smiley

*GuideML Jargon and Acronyms* A987122

Not much to look at yet - but it's a start, I'll try to add to it tonight (GMT+13 time)

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 49

Rho

I'll add a link to the index page. smiley - smiley

By the way, I'd suggest removing the paragraph "This is part of a series ..." at the start of the article and the bulleted list "Further Reading" at the end as, once all the articles are written, they could be linked in a similar way to how Aces, <./>Aces-What</.> etc are linked together.

I like the improved GuideML for the "Further Reading" list, though, and I'll use it on the index page while the articles are being written!

smiley - cheers
RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 50

Narapoia

>>Simpler than the current way of using GuideML and adding to your page?<<

That's all very well for you to say (sorry it was so far back I can't remember who it was!) but surely the whole point of this exercise is to introduce Guide ML to novices? I wouldn't know where to start, but I'd like to be able to, so saying "just do this, it's easy" ain't very helpful, and a little patronising if you don't mind me saying so.

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 51

Its just that new features are currently hard to come by from the development team (they're overworked, poor them smiley - sadface), so that since there is already a way (and its enabled for non-activated spaces, but not by default for activated ones) they would put it further down their list.

Yes, the whole point of the project is to introduce GuideML to novices, which is why I won't be adding that to my article. I also didn't realise that I had to speak down to people from my normal way of talking; unfortunately this seldom works.

umm, I should probably add some more excuses here, but I can't think of any right now, so I'll just add that once you're page is in GuideML adding the tag is simple, but the hard part is getting there in the first place. Hopefully in future we can just point people to one of the articles in this series and !

spelugx -- possibly confussed about which thread this is in

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 52

Rho

> and its enabled for non-activated spaces, but not by default for activated ones

Not any more! It was changed with today's upgrade. smiley - biggrin

RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 53

I've only just noticed the upgrade. Horrible new features, none of the useful ones like well-formed XHTML smiley - winkeye (Disclaimer: the last was a _joke_. Interpret as you wish but leave me out of it. TIA).

spelugx

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 54

Rho

smiley - laugh

RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 55

I wonder whether ORBAT and work on the live site now? (of course they don't, they're part of the skin XSLT for the sites involved). Time to make the paranoid smiley - biggrin

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 56

Narapoia

Please someone let me know when this thread is going to be conducted in English!

OK Splug (closest you'll get from me!) I take your point about how once I know how to do it I'll know how to do it (!) but I think I'll just let you boffins get on with it until you've got something for me to experiment with. Just nudge me in the ribs. I'll probably wake up screaming but don't let that worry you...

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 57

I've just gained by first victim see F75257?thread=254813.

'boffins' - haven't been called that for absolutely ages. smiley - geek seems to be more in vogue currently, especially since a lot of smiley - geek don't actually mind the epithet.

spelugx -- a smiley - geeky <./>guru</.>

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 58

Narapoia

Ah, so as well as putting the willies up you when you visit (half) unsuspectingly (thanks Pencil Queen!) you can see who's been a-visitin'?
Damn clever.

*looks forward to the day she can do all this geekery (will use correct term from now on)herself*

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 59

Rho

smiley - whistle

I claim people didn't copy from my space smiley - winkeye

RhoMuNuQ

Guide ML! my hell!

Post 60

Narapoia

Well you'd know if they did wouldn't you? Or is it not quite THAT clever?

Key: Complain about this post