A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is it with breasts?

Post 3881

Serephina

smiley - laugh

What is it with breasts?

Post 3882

Xanatic

Looking around, I think I`m going to enjoy being in Dublin smiley - smiley They all seem to have inherited something from Molly Malone smiley - drool

What is it with breasts?

Post 3883

Mu Beta

And I understand their cannabis is very good, too.

Or have I misunderstood the phrase 'pot of gold'?smiley - silly

B

What is it with breasts?

Post 3884

BobTheFarmer

Funnily enough theres a breed of cannabis called Pot of Gold... smiley - winkeye

What is it with breasts?

Post 3885

Mu Beta

Bob's Greenhouse Number Three, second plantpot from the right.

B

What is it with breasts?

Post 3886

BobTheFarmer

smiley - laugh

What is it with breasts?

Post 3887

Xanatic

So any good advice on how to get to know the irish lasses a bit better?

What is it with breasts?

Post 3888

BobTheFarmer

Buy them guiness

What is it with breasts?

Post 3889

Silverback2003

Ok, I'll keep this simple, all other female primates feed they're young from nipples on the chest
but only human females have what we would call breasts, Ergonomically they actually make it harder
for an infant to feed as they tend to block his nose as it feeds. So they're has to be another reason for them and this is it. When we were primates we all mated from behind, the buttocks being the primary sexual signal, now when nature wanted us to develop our brains to evolve she figured that we'd have to extend a phase of our lives called neotony, the age from birth to sexual maturity where the human brain does about 90% of it's development. To extend this phase however it needed two adults to raise they're offspring. This required more of a bond to be created between male and female, and ladies and gentlemen face to face intercourse was the answer. This linked the mates face with the intense pleasure of orgasm and the bond
was ignited. All that was needed was a secondary sexual signal and so breasts grew to reflect buttocks.

What is it with breasts?

Post 3890

Crunchy Frog

How can breasts reflect buttocks when they have a matt finish?

CF smiley - smiley

What is it with breasts?

Post 3891

F F Churchton

or a mister muscle!!!

What is it with breasts?

Post 3892

Xanatic

But do we know that the face to face approach has always been standard? It could be more than a few hundred years ago it was done differently most of the time.

What is it with breasts?

Post 3893

F F Churchton

Presisly, society changes!!!

What is it with breasts?

Post 3894

Xanatic

I think there are also societies nowadays where it isn't standard.

What is it with breasts?

Post 3895

Mu Beta

Society changes, but do breasts? smiley - zen

B

What is it with breasts?

Post 3896

Xanatic

Of course they do. Look at the girls from the 1920's Chigaco.

What is it with breasts?

Post 3897

F F Churchton

I would'nt know I'm not several millenia, come back and ask me in year 4003!!!

What is it with breasts?

Post 3898

Xanatic

I saw a t/shirt today that maybe I should get. It had a text saying "All grown up, and still fascinated by nipples" smiley - smiley

What is it with breasts?

Post 3899

Potholer

I think the secondary sexual characteristics theory is patchy at best. I'd be tempted to go more with Elaine Morgan's theories (Descent of Woman, etc) that they give a kid something to grab on to on an otherwise hold-free hairless torso, and/or help someone sitting down nursing a kid who can't cling on to anything get a nipple in their mouth despite variation in size of child and precise position.

Being less scientific, human male arms are long enough to get decent tactile feedback from female buttocks even when they are out of sight in face-to-face situations, and *sometimes* the combination of touch and imagination can be rather better than visual reality. Who needs a visual substitute when you can remember where the original is, and cop a feel as well?

What is it with breasts?

Post 3900

F F Churchton

WE may want an occasional orginal sometimes!!!

(I'm posting 4000, wuw)

Key: Complain about this post