A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 4101

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Wow, that one sounds good!

Currently reading "The Toyminator", by Robert Rankin. It's quite entertaining thus far.

Post 4102

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Thanks, pedro -- and would the book be anything like the film by the same name, from the late 50's? It depicted the horrors of not-oregano, and how it leads to hooking, pimps, addiction... smiley - evilgrin

Actually, the book I'm remembering was focused on how much of the world's economy is under the radar, and untracked (untaxed, too, but that's a different matter). Seem to recall the author was British, when I heard him interviewed on National Public Radio. smiley - huh

SC

Post 4103

Milos

Actually, Reefer Madness came out in 1936(!), and was remade as a musical send-up in 2005.

(I was falling behind in the backlog and hadn't read anything lateley smiley - winkeye)

Removed

Post 4104

pedro

This post has been removed.

Post 4105

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Two excellent books! By Jim Wallis, 'God's Politics, Why the Right Gets it wrong, and the Left Just Doesn't get it'... and 'Paladin Souls' by Lois McMaster Bujold.

smiley - magic

Post 4106

pedro

I've recently read 'Going Postal' by TP. Not really one of his best, I
don't think. smiley - erm Am just finishing another Rebus novel by Ian Rankin.
The only thing wrong with it is too much happens. The characters would
all be in mental homes after three books.

Which brings me onto... The Black Dahlia, by James Ellroy (also wrote
LA Confidential). This book is utterly, utterly magnificent. The film's
out soon, and will no doubt be crap in comparison (LA C was a *much*
better book too, even though the film was really good). All the
characters are thoroughly screwed up by the end, and you would be too!

There! No words which could offend even the most offendable person.smiley - rolleyes

Post 4107

urchinvic - the budgies are restless

Hello readers! need a bit of help with my next Terry Pratchett book...Which book follows "Sourcery" plotwise? Cos at the end Rincewind is still in the Dungeon Dimensions, and I can't make out which book explains how he gets out! (soory if I've just ruined that for anyone). I havent been paying much attention to the list order printed at the front of the books, but I really like the Wizard stories and I don't want to lose track of what happens to dear Rincewind...ta all!smiley - erm

Post 4108

A Super Furry Animal

>> but I really like the Wizard stories and I don't want to lose track of what happens to dear Rincewind <<

Rincewind's become a wizard smiley - wizard? smiley - yikes

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 4109

Steve K.

"Cosmopolis" by Don Dellilo, an unabridged audio version. Sort of a cross between Joyce's "Ulysses" and William Gibson's "Neuromancer" ... smiley - huh

A one day ride through a gridlocked NY City by a brilliant hi-tech billionaire in his "command center" limo, seeking a hair cut. Assassination, sex, billion dollar gambles, meetings in the limo (or adjacent traffic jammed vehicles) with numerous characters ... and an instinct to avoid buying an important painting by favorite artist Rothko. Just buy the Rothko Chapel. Intact. Moved to his penthouse. "They won't sell the chapel! People want to visit it!" "Let them buy it."

The critics are not happy about this: "DeLillo is surely an American master, but this time out, he is doodling."

I like doodles.

Post 4110

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Elroy...

I saw the movie after reading the book and didn't like it (the movie) at all. I like the way that Elroy takes the reader on a confusing ride. You don't really know what's going on...but it's a great ride!

The same is also true of the magnificent American Tabloid. Unfortunately in its sequel The Cold Six Thousand he goes too far...there's nothing for the reader to get a foothold on.

He's great on 'character arcs' too.

Post 4111

Sho - employed again!

being thoroughly depressed by One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

The itroduction by Yevtushenko was fab smiley - ok

Post 4112

steve-paul ---- no lyrics!!<wah>

I'm reading 'Timeline' by Michael Crichton at the moment.
it's actually quite good, full of psuedo science that's almost possiblesmiley - biggrin.

SPsmiley - winkeye

Post 4113

pedro

The Sunday Herald (in Scotland) has an offer for a free copy of The Black Dahlia, all you have to do is post a voucher off. Strongly recommend all Scottish bibliophiles do so at oncesmiley - smiley

I'm reading Francis Wheen's biography of Karl Marx at the mo. It's only moderately interesting at the moment, but I'm looking forward to finding out more about the great philospher's ideas.

Post 4114

KB

I haven't read Wheen's book pedro, but I remember reading a lot of rave reviews when it came out. At that time I was poor, it was hardback and cost £20 though, so it had to take a back seat.

Post 4115

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Wheen's biography was interesting enough...but it thoroughly disappointed me by not covering any of Marx's political ideas in even the slightest detail. You might as well skip it and watch the Mark Steele lecture, which cribs from it heavily.

I'm still searching for a decent introduction to Marx which I can recommend to others. Marx's works themselves are offputting, and all the other stuff either goes into tons of detail and/or has an axe to grind.

Post 4116

mrs wobbly bum

Have just read the first couple of chapters of The Da vinci code but finding it hard to get into as keep getting disturbed by customerssmiley - sadface

Post 4117

Sho - employed again!

if you're lucky you'll keep being interrupted by customers...

Post 4118

Thatprat - With a new head/wall interface mechanism

I've just brought the Toyminator by Robert Rankin. I'll let you know what it's like once I've finished it...on Wednesday.

Currently about to skip the second half of Pilgrim by Sara Douglas(?). Definately a trilogy 2legs should read, it's got a mad attack badger in charge of an army under demonic influence. smiley - bigeyessmiley - yikes

Post 4119

Cheerful Dragon

Just started The Diamond Hunters by Wilbur Smith. I think it's his shortest novel to date - only 250 pages in the edition I've got. Shouldn't take me long. I only started it this afternoon and I'm already 32 pages in.

Post 4120

A Super Furry Animal

When you say "to date" - I think you'll find it was written in the 70's, possibly earlier.

>> Have just read the first couple of chapters of The Da vinci code but finding it hard to get into as keep getting disturbed by customers <<

I'd put it down and walk away if I were you...smiley - winkeye

Get yourself a proper book instead.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post