A Conversation for Ask h2g2

English usage

Post 16641

ITIWBS

"to" or "for", New Englanders, (east of the Hudson River and south of the Saint Lawrence) are perhaps a little likelier to say 'to' than 'for', while in Dixie, (east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio river) they're some what more likely to say 'for' than 'to'.

In either case, or anywhere else in the English speaking USA, so long as the terms are uninflected, either is acceptable.

If the word 'for' is strongly inflected, its an admonition that the oil isn't to be usedfor any other purpose.

smiley - biggrin What kind of oil?

Another new word

Post 16642

Recumbentman

Thanks Pit. What I've been calling quartersawn is closer to riftsawn, as the smaller pieces near the edge of quartersawn log will have grain that is far from vertical in the plank. But for musical instruments, both back and belly will be made from wood cut a different way again, as I said, like slices of a very tall cake. You then split your slice into two thinner slices and glue the thick ends of the wedges together, giving you book-matched grain with the thickness to gouge out the arching.

Another new word

Post 16643

Wand'rin star

Hello again.
Here are 3 lovely new (ie previously unknown to me) words: balisaur, bonander, danchi.
How are you going to find out what they mean? Not by looking up the OED, anyway. The latest scandal is that Robert Burchfield deleted these and many other words of foreign origin while he was editor.smiley - starsmiley - star

Another new word

Post 16644

Rudest Elf

"How are you going to find out what they mean?"

Google? http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/nov/26/former-oed-editor-deleted-words

By the way, it's 'boviander'.

smiley - reindeer

Another new word

Post 16645

You can call me TC

danchi sounds as though it came from India. (Haven't looked at Elf's link yet.)

Another new word

Post 16646

You can call me TC

Oh dear. I was wrong. Japanese. Oh well.

I bet we sau - sorry, saw - one of those balisaurs at the Natural History Museum in Dublin. Maybe even of the vampire variety.

Another new word

Post 16647

Wand'rin star

Oh boo! That was a rhetorical question.
I hoped we could find other foreign words that are no longer in English, or at least discuss the heinous crimes of Robert Burchfieldsmiley - starsmiley - star

Another new word

Post 16648

Gnomon - time to move on

The problem with using foreign words in English is putting plurals on them. For example, the Irish word feis, pronounced "fesh", is a festival devoted to discussion, music and dancing. It's also used for meetings of political parties, which I think would be called conventions in the UK. It's quite a common word.

But when you have a feis and another one, what do you call it. The Irish plural is feiseanna, pronounced "feshunnuh", but that seems stupid in English. "Feshes" is probably what an Irish person would say, but I've no idea how you would spell it.

Another new word

Post 16649

Rudest Elf

"words that are no longer in English"

Happily, no one can remove words from language - they don't live in dictionaries. smiley - spacesmiley - suitcase

smiley - reindeer

Another new word

Post 16650

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - jester

Do they live in lexicondos?

smiley - nur
~jwf~

Another new word

Post 16651

Wand'rin star

(Insert appropriate smiley)Hmm, what words do you regularly use, or even what words do you know, that are not in dictionaries? Especially not in the OED?
Because I have travelled in many non-English speaking countries, I have picked up many useful foreign words. Alas they are mostly gone from me forever, because almost nobody I know shared the same experiences and it is rude to say the least to use words your audience doen't know, or boring to keep translating. I'm still looking for a synonym for 'mpashle', though.
Gnomon, when I think of all the lists of non-regular plurals I learnt in primary school that are still cluttering my brain, I regret that they all seem to have become regular. Who now speaks of croci?smiley - starsmiley - star

Another new word

Post 16652

Recumbentman

Mathematicians sit on their ba doing sa (or as they call it solving the conundra of pendula and the like).

Borrowed words:

flokken (for muesli oatflakes),

tapas (but that must be in the dictionary),

gubu (actually that's an acronym for 'grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented', a phrase used by an Irish prime minister some decades ago to describe the finding of a murder suspect, later convicted, hiding out in the home of the attorney-general).

Another new word

Post 16653

Recumbentman

No more borrowed words for Wand'rin star?

Another new word

Post 16654

Recumbentman

Just googled balisaur, bonander, danchi. Oo-er, not trying that in a hurry (imagining a balisaur performing bonander in a danchi).

Another new word

Post 16655

Recumbentman

Looked up balisaur in OED and indeed there it isn't.

Eye wanders to nearby word: balin.

Typical Tolkien! He takes a name from an ambiguous word in the dictionary.

Balin: "An unknown plant, supposed to have wonderful medicinal virtues.

1546 T. Langley tr. P. Vergil Abridgem. Notable Worke i. xvii. 30 a, Slain by the virtue of an herbe called Balin.
1609 T. Heywood Troia Britanica iv. xi, Hauing th' herbe Balin in his wounds infusd, Restores his life."

-- so apparently it is a medicine that can be used either as poison or restorative. Well, so is digitalis, I suppose.

Derived from the Latin balis, in turn derived from the Greek βάλλις, meaning "plant with wonderful medicinal properties, Xanth. 16."

Another new word

Post 16656

Gnomon - time to move on

As I pointed out in 2005 F104566?thread=575099 most of the dwarf names in The Hobbit were out of an Icelandic edda.

Balin was one that wasn't, but Tolkien in my opinion probably made it up to rhyme with Dwalin, rather than using the name of an obscure plant.

Another new word

Post 16657

Recumbentman

I expect Tolkien knew well the implications of the words he used.

The first time I came across Tolkien was in college in (yes!) the sixties. A group of students were reading it aloud in their flat. They came to the description of the ring: 'It was hot when I first took it, hot as a glede, and my hand was scorched, so that I doubt if ever again I shall be free of the pain of it'.

Someone said 'bet he didn't just make that up' and looked up 'glede' in the dictionary: A live coal, an ember.

Another new word

Post 16658

You can call me TC

Living between cultures, as I do, I find it hard sometimes to disentangle words, to know if they are English or not. In my head at least. I scrutinise them before I utter them, though.

Can I throw something into the discussion on another tack?

Sometimes people say "off his own bat" and sometimes you hear "off his own back". Which is correct? I used to think it was "bat" and was a cricketing term. But "back" sort of makes sense, too.

Another new word

Post 16659

Gnomon - time to move on

I've always heard it as "bat".

Another new word

Post 16660

Recumbentman

OED says (after defining 'bat' as the cricketer's weapon):

"Hence the phrase, off his own bat, in reference to the score made by a player's own hits; fig. solely by his own exertions, by himself."

Key: Complain about this post