A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Being watered

Post 1

The lost

Today I got watered by two of the children smiley - erm I can only assume that because I'm only 5 foot they were hoping I would grow smiley - erm it makes me wonder what they're being taught in science since both children are 15. smiley - erm so after getting wet feet and mildly traumatised hwmbo brought me a 99 with juice smiley - drool however when it arrive it just had one sorry looking drip of juice smiley - wah

Being watered

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Maybe they thought you looked hot and might find some cool water refreshing. smiley - smiley

Being watered

Post 3

The lost

It might be nice to roll with that idea

However

It's very rarely hot in the UK. If we actually have to take our cardigans off during the summer there's all hell on.

Being watered

Post 4

I wear short pants and short-sleeved shirts from late May through September.

Being watered

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Just repaired the huge water squirting device of my oldest son at the risk of getting wet later. I did tell him about the bucket I have for counterstrikes. Hope that works.

Being watered

Post 6

The lost

smiley - rofl

Being watered

Post 7

We had quite a thunderstorm earlier this evening.

Being watered

Post 8

It works (for now)

Buckets of water can be very useful, especially when you try to teach the neighbour's cat where not to poo/pee. We nicknamed that cat Chateau.

Being watered

Post 9

The lost

I don't like thunderstorms Paul smiley - sadface

Chateau smiley - rofl

Being watered

Post 10

Neither do the people who run the local municipal pool. State law requires them to close the pool when there's lightning in the area. They closed it last night.

Being watered

Post 11

I like to watch thunderstorms, provided they are not too close.

I once saw a lighning strike within 25 meters of me, that's too close. It hit a traffic sign in the middle of a pedestrian crossing I was about to cross. That's a lot of light, heat and noise, all at once. Took some time to get rid of the after-image.

It looked like a 20cm diameter straight shaft of white light. A lot of sparks flew around. The traffic sign was unharmed (but probably rather hot). The noise was cracking like a gunshot, but louder.

Being watered

Post 12

I've never been that close, thank deus.

Being watered

Post 13

The lost

I like to hide behind the sofa and count,

I think I'd have had a meltdown had I been that close to lightening.

Being watered

Post 14

WyattVenson

"Maybe they thought you looked hot and might find some cool water refreshing."

Now, that's the spirit. smiley - winkeye

Being watered

Post 15

"I like to hide behind the sofa and count" [The Lost]

The Count must be pudgy if you can hide behind him. smiley - winkeye

Being watered

Post 16

The lost

smiley - rofl

Being watered

Post 17

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

I met a man a while back who worked at a sub station, when I was there to do some work and as we sat down for smoko the chat turned to earth stakes and the array of what looked like pawnbroker balls(do you know what I'm referring to here?)afixed to various grey boxes and other utilitarian structures who function was unknown to me but well known to him.
The talk turned to storms and lightning and the chances of someone connected to the ground touching one of the big chrome balls set at an angle and looking very pawnbrokerish.

You don't wanna touch one of them if a storms about as they attract the lightning and they diffuse it. Ah. I said.
Yes,he said, it's a safety measure but I touched one by accident in a storm with a shovel that was on a cart like that one behind you(think electric golf cart)as i raced to get into the lunchroom. It's not good to be outside here in an electrical storm.
Ah. I said.
Yes, he said, not good at all. I got zapped by the diffuser and a lightning bolt went down the shovel through the cart and through me and out and up again to the next closest ball.
Really. I said.
Yes, he said, it blew the end of my toe off as it exited and it took the end of my boot off.
Ah.I said.
Yes, he said, would you like to see it?
The boot or your toe? I asked.
Both he said. And we got up and walked into the lunchroom and there on the wall mounted on a plaque was a Dunlop leather boot(non steelcap for obvious reasons)and it had a neat but slightly ragged hole in the front of the left boot. He sat down and took his boots off and a sock and there in all it's ugly bluntness was a stump just below where your big toe nail's quick would start.

Ah yes indeed, I said, that is a decent hole in your boot. Did it hurt?
I didn't feel it at all as I passed out, my heart stopped briefly they think and then I woke up in hospital.

He's dead now, died a decade or more ago but I found out that it's not an uncommon occurrence at least anecdotally anyway.

So that's my lightning story apart from a bolt from the blue that struck the ground near where we were sitting one morning at a place called Keerong and it blackened the grass in a rough circle and stood our hair up.

Wet story...I have plenty but the most rain I've experienced is just under 700mm in a 24hr period and for people stuck in imperial measures that's 27.5 inches in the old scale. It was a year and a bit ago and the intensity in rain of that amount is staggering to behold;a flash flood that doesn't stop.

Apols for waffling.

Being watered

Post 18

Bluebottle

If there's thunder then the Count, or to give his full name Count von Count from Sesame Street, would be a very helpful person to hide behind. Counting the seconds between the lightning and thunder tells us how far away the storm is, and what better way to count than with 'Von bolt of lightning, hah-hah-hah, Two bolt of lightning, hah-hah-hah...'

They must have done that - hang on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWU0qWi5E0

<BB<

Being watered

Post 19

A park ranger in Virginia was hit by lightning seven times, and survived them all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Sullivan

Being watered

Post 20

The lost

I wonder if there's been any research into whether you are safer hiding behind the sofa with the count smiley - winkeye

I know what prawn brokers balls are. They used to be called "brass monkeys" here in the UK hence the say "it's that cold it could freeze the balls off a brass monkey" smiley - rofl

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more