A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 61

aka Bel - A87832164

I downladed the upgrade today, and now it doesn't let me sign into hootoo. It tells me that 'This Page has Moved'. I never save any passwords, and I deleted the history twice, but no success.
In firefox now.

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 62

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

Ummmmm, why are you still using 9.64? Is it because you can only get version 10 as a separate install?

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 63

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

I had the 'this page has moved' thing the other day. It cured itself after a few minutes. I think it's a BBC bug rather than an Opera bug but I'm not certain. I've tried logging out and in again and don't get it happening here.

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 64

aka Bel - A87832164

It must be an Opera thing because I had no such problems in firefox. I've only ever had it in opera.

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 65

IctoanAWEWawi

An interesting bit on the Opera 10 turbo mode - it fscks up geo location software.

I'd posted a thread elsewhere that when I went to the bbc news home page there were google ads on it which I had not seen before. Turns out you get that if you are outside britain.

Well, just been trying to look at a few things on iPlayer and it told me I couldn't cos I wasn't in the UK, even though I am. Checking this out there is a message on the BBC help saying that

"Some programs, such as web accelerators, can cause your IP address to appear as if it is outside the UK."

Turned off turbo mode and it is fine.
Checking out how it works it seems that if you engage turbo mode then the pages you are browsing are fed through the Opera servers and compressed. Since Opera are a Norwegian company this means that you are effectively browsing through a Norwegian proxy, using their servers. The BBC geoIP software will pick up that the connection is coming from Norway and disable your access.

This will also happen with any other website that is using GeoIP checking (or similar) since it will only see the direct connection from the Norwegian servers.

You have been warned smiley - smiley

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 66

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Interesting. I'm fortunate to have a pretty good connection so haven't used Turbo beyond trying it out when I first installed Opera 10.

I have one niggle: when highlighting text and selecting a search from the drop-down menu I can't find a way to get the searches to open in a new tab.

Beyond that it's still all good!

The new Opera 10 browser

Post 67

aka Bel - A87832164

I've eventually found out why it wouldn't let me sign into anything (h2g2, emails): I had to disable the password manager.

Key: Complain about this post