This is the Message Centre for Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

The almost obituary.....

Post 1

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Hello to all my friends here on H2G2,

I was intending to submit a carefully worded solstice greeting onto my Journal but I spent Sunday night in the local A&E and am now recovering at home.

Some of you know that I have an allergy to some curry spices and colouring and have had some unpleasant reactions. On Sunday I asked the local curry house if they could do me a simple biriani - no spices or colours - just rice and vegetables - and they said they could.

Well I nearly choked to death as my tongue and aesophagus swelled up to double their normal size and I tried to vomit up the offending materials. If Lorna hadn't hit me with my adrenaline pen and then summoned the paramedics I don't know what would have happened.

I was discharged as the first light of Solstice dawn hit the hospital (they don't keep you in in British hospitals if they can help it).

So here I am sitting at home feeling sorry for myself as the side effects of all the drugs that were pumped in to my system work their way through. Anyone know how to flush Adrenaline, Hydrocortisone and Pyriton out I would be most grateful.

I am now wiser, and thankfully older.

Does this count as a note from me mum to get off games?

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

The almost obituary.....

Post 2

azahar

Oh Math - how frightening! I'm so glad you're still here!

smiley - hug

az

The almost obituary.....

Post 3

Gone again

Yes, I too am glad you're still around. We need our Resident Druid, so stay away from the E-numbers! smiley - biggrin

Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

The almost obituary.....

Post 4

Leopardskinfynn... sexy mama

Sheesh! smiley - yikes

I'm sorry to hear that Math.

As for flushing out all the nasties, you could try Milk Thistle tincture, or give the folk a call at Helios for some advice on a homeopathic remedy to help you detox.
http://www.helios.co.uk/

Oh and I'd say that you're qualified to be let off from P.E. smiley - winkeye

The almost obituary.....

Post 5

Kaz

Blimey Math, you must definately can get off games.

I hope you scared the curry house and they were extremely apologetic. Bet you wouldn't take them up on an offer of a free meal though! Why oh why don't restaurants take allergies seriously.

Glad to hear you are home and feeling sorry for yourself. Thats a good sign of getting better, its when someone is so ill that they don't feel sorry for themselves that I would be really worried.

Oh and well Lorna for the neat work with the pen. I hate to imagine what could have happened if you had been on your own.

The almost obituary.....

Post 6

azahar

With such a serious allergy I'm surprised you can trust anyone outside your home to make you a 'clean' meal. Especially Indian or Chinese restaurants.

You could probably sue that pants off those guys, though I know that's not your style (it's not mine either). But imagine, they might have been responsible for killing someone! At least they should be made aware of this.

If you ever make it to Spain I'll warn you right now not to eat paella in most bars as they end up using colouring instead of saffron (way cheaper). Though there are some good places that only use the proper ingredients.

Yes, I am also grateful that Lorna was there with you and knew exactly what to do. Phew!

kissitos,
az

The almost obituary.....

Post 7

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

"On Sunday I asked the local curry house if they could do me a simple biriani - no spices or colours - just rice and vegetables - and they said they could."

You can't trust restaurants, unless they're Kosher.

My brother and I have worked in food service off and on for most of our lives. When we make a specific request at a restaurant, it is usually given lip service, but the chef or whoever is slinging the hash, rarely is trained in customer service or food sensitivities.
We can actually smell some substances as they bring it toward the table, most particularly MSG. Often we've had to settle for a salad, but even that is not truly safe, as utensils are mixed in washing and handling.

I was being a band parent one day when the whole group stopped at a Mexican restaurant in Killeen. When I picked up my tray and my plastic tumbler, I smelled something, just on the edge of my brain. I ran my finger across the bottom of the tumbler. Tiny bit of grit. Clean grit, but grit just the same. I smelled the tray. It smelled like detergent, used detergent.
I called a server over and said,"You need to tell the dishwasher to dump the reservoir. It hasn't been emptied often enough."
She looked at me. "What?"
The manager came over. I repeated myself. He looked startled, said,"Thanks. I know what you mean," and went through the swinging doors.

I'm truly sorry for your current condition.
We've just been through a bad patch of months with Uvula's diabetes complications.
Due diligence and paranoia have served us well.
Get well soon!

The almost obituary.....

Post 8

Thanks all smiley - smiley

I am recovering slowly. Strangely it is the curatives they used that have knackered me most.

You are right Az, it is not in my nature to reach for a lawyer when I take a risk and it turns out to be a wrong'un. Older and wiser jedi is I, yes.

Well I'm going for a lie down.

Be seeing you smiley - ok

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

The almost obituary.....

Post 9

Ragged Dragon

I am supremely grateful that the word 'almost' appeared in this title.

Be well, my friend.

May you hug many trees.

Jez

The almost obituary.....

Post 10

Hug Trees!

I would never be so forward as to hug such elders and betters smiley - winkeye.

I'm fairly glad it is almost as well.

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

The almost obituary.....

Post 11

azahar

Oh, I'm sure they would quite like the occasional cuddle, Math!

Even 'elders and betters' need affection, after all.

smiley - smiley

az

The almost obituary.....

Post 12

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

I saw a particularly attractive maple the other day...
but a vigorous young squirrel clambered down to almost eye level and told me off for a good ten minutes!
I attempted to reason with him, but he made fun of my accent.

The almost obituary.....

Post 13

astrolog

How are you feeling today, Math? The weather's been a bit damp over the last few days! Have a look at my photos @ http://alji.buzznet.com/user/

Alji

The almost obituary.....

Post 14

Hi Alji smiley - biggrin

Mostly better. I'll be back in work tomorrow smiley - sadface, but all good things have to come to an end.

I'm now down to an aspirin a day. All the other drugs have worn off and flushed out of my system.

Nice photo's. What sort of camera are you using. We have a 35mm Digital on order and I can't wait to get out and about with it.

Blessings,
Matholwch /|\.

The almost obituary.....

Post 15

astrolog

Fuji S5000, Math

Alji

The almost obituary.....

Post 16

Jordan

Gosh! I should have read this earlier!

Poor you, Math... My sleeping got so bad during my exams that they had to put me on a hypnotic (zopiclone). It was a godsend in some ways - all through the ten day course, I had perfect sleep, but the taste would linger all through to the next night. It was a horrible soapy, antiseptic taste, and they would leave me drowsy. Fortunately, my personal tutor let me sleep in her office if I couldn't do my morning exams, so things didn't turn out too bad.

I've got to make an actual obituary some time soon, so I'll get round to finding some free time ASAP...

- Jordan

The almost obituary.....

Post 17

badger party tony party green party

Imagine how knackered you'd be without the nasty chemicals and that your lucky stars, if that's not forbidden for druid dudes(?)

I was told that even certain foods being prpared inthe same room as the food as that made for people with allergies can be contaminated by mere proximity smiley - yikes

Had a girlfriend nearly die from anaphylactic shock the once, very worrying but the best thing to do is stay calm.

one love smiley - rainbow

Key: Complain about this post