A Conversation for THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND WILL THERE? IS THERE?

Peer Review: A811973 - THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND WILL THERE? IS THERE?

Post 1

Flibbertigibbet

Entry: THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND WILL THERE? IS THERE? - A811973
Author: Flibbertigibbet - U200199

I would like to hear your views on this.

Thanks.

Flibbertigibbet

A811973 - THERE'LL ALWAYS BE AN ENGLAND WILL THERE? IS THERE?

Post 2

SallyM

OK, looking at the title, I was expecting some drivel on how great England is and all that. I didn't expect the informative, well written article that appeared instead.

I only have one point which is whether this might be a bit time sensitive, it might be out of date in 2 years. I don't know what the thought from PTB is on this.

Apart from that smiley - ok

SallyM smiley - smiley

Post 3

Stuart

Although I agree with some of the sentiments expressed, I don't think it should be in Peer Review. Peer Review is a stepping stone to the Edited Guide and as this is opinion, not suitable for the Edited Guide.

The Writing Guide says that if something is contensious, and this is, it must be balanced, showing both sides of the argument.

However, thats not to say it should be abandoned. It has a place in the Alternative Writing Workshop with a link from The Soap Box would be fine.

Regards

Stuart

Post 4

Flibbertigibbet

It is current I suppose. What is PTB by the way?

Post 5

Flibbertigibbet

I don't actually think it is contentious but then I'm not particularly objective. They article simply makes the point that politically England does not exist - which it does not. I take the point that it is biased in favour of a settlement that would favour England but so what?

I will remove it from the peer review list if that's what you think is the best course of action. Obviously all I am interested in doing is getting a point across to the most number of people.

Thanks for your comments, I'm new to this so it's all helpful.

Post 6

Flibbertigibbet

Stuart, where is the 'soap box'?

Thanks

Flibberti

Post 7

Stuart

Whoops. I meant the Speakers Corner where anyone get on their Soap Box.

You will find it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A756605

Regards

Stuart

Post 8

Flibbertigibbet

Thanks Stuart, I've done as you suggested.

Post 9

SallyM

PTB - powers that be

SallyM smiley - smiley

Post 10

[...]

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ENGLAND ISN'T GREAT AND/OR WONDERFUL?

Post 11

Flibbertigibbet

No, that's not the point of the article. The point is that unless people vote against regionalisation England will loose out and the very idea of England itself will be called into doubt.

Post 12

Stuart

I think you have missed the point. What the writer was suggesting is that England doesn't exist as a polital entity. There may be some validity in that argument.

It's not whether England is great or Wonderful, which I happen to think it is, that is a different argument altogether.

Regards

Stuart

Post 13

[...]

NO. I MEAN THAT 'SALLY ACE' PERSON...

WHO PRESUMED THIS ARTICLE WOULD BE PRO-ENGLAND...
THIS IMPLIES THAT SHE DOESN'T THINK ENGLAND IS WONDERFUL/GREAT....

HOW CAN YOU NOT... THE AMERICANS SURE DO. 'STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER''S TUNE IS FROM AN OLD ENGLISH BEER DRINKING SONG...!

HMMMmmm...

Post 14

Stuart

What you trying to do, start the war of 1812 all over again!

BTW. There is a key on the right hand side of your keyboard with Caps Lock written on it; give it a tap. Typing all in uppercase is tantermount to shouting and is considered rude - besides its harder to read.

smiley - ok

Stuart

Post 15

Stuart

That should be left hand side of your keyboard. It is getting late

Stuart

Post 16

[...]

IT'S BIGGER, IT'S BETTER AND IT'S LOUDER...

HOW IS IT HARDER TO SEE?!

Post 17

Flibbertigibbet

England is great, I love the place and would never write an article slagging her off. I think Sally was worried that it was going to be some nationalistic rant where someone goes on about how great thier country is, there is no motivation to do that - the motivation behind the article comes from a very real fear of political extinction and subjugation by the European left.

I agree with the previous poster about writing in capitals though it just looks too ugly and like you are desperate to be noticed. Not sure about it being rude but I'm sure everyone would read what you had to say if you dropped down a case.

Post 18

Stuart

I didn't say it is harder to see, I said it is harder to read, and it is bad manners.

Stuart

Post 19

shrinkwrapped

It does give the impression that you're shouting, I'm afraid. And people don't usually appreciate being shouted at (unless they're deaf or something).

Anyway, I've just posted to Peer Review about something completely off topic. Shame on Mr T!

Post 20

SallyM

Well after being in Tunisia for 2 weeks, I love being in England and having 8 hours so far without being called sweetie in a cockney accent.

Yes I was expecting some nationalistic rant (you do get some drivel in peer review). I was trying to pay you a compliment, in the fact that your article surprised me.

SallyM smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post