This is the Message Centre for Hypatia

Possible Meet

Post 1

Hypatia

If you're subscribed to my journals, chances are you know that I like baseball. One of the things on my bucket list is to watch a game at every major league ballpark. That's something I planned to do after I retire. However, I've decided to start a bit sooner than that.

The plan at this point is to take several short vacations rather than try to do it all at once. I'm going to start next June. The date was chosen to coincide with the Cardinals playing the Blue Jays in Toronto. Here's the schedule so far.

June 15 or 16, leave here and drive to New York. Catch the Mets and Yankees at Yankee Stadium on Friday, June 18. Drive to Boston and watch the Dodgers and Red Sox at Fenway Park on Sunday, June 20. Drive to Niagra Falls, spend one night there and cross over into Canada. We'll watch the Cards and Blue Jays at Rogers Centre on Tuesday, June 22 then head for home on the 23rd. That's about as long as I can miss work that time of year.

So, I'm thinking that a meet could be arranged in either the New York or Boston area on Saturday, June 19. If there is anyone in that general area who is interested.

Possible Meet

Post 2

Todaymueller

Sounds like a brilliant trip Hyp I am smiley - envy to the gills .
Could you believe the Phillies last night ? Just as they got back on level terms it all went pear shaped . I have watched all the games live so far but it has played havoc with my sleep cycle . So I may give it a miss tonight .

Possible Meet

Post 3

Hypatia

I always favor the National League team in the World Series, so I'm disappointed, too. Dang, it must be on late there if you're watching it live.

Possible Meet

Post 4

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smiley oooOOOOoooo nice one hypsmiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

Possible Meet

Post 5

Witty Moniker

New York! smiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boing

Possible Meet

Post 6

Spaceechik, Typomancer

smiley - boing Hyp, the first thing I thought when I read this, was that there's a book in this, at least a budding 2nd career in travel writing!

Sounds like a fine road trip (or a series of them!). Great idea!

SC

Possible Meet

Post 7

Hypatia

This is sort of what I expected. I definitely want to get together with Witty, whether there is a meet or not. But I don't actually know many h2g2 folks who are in that part of the country. Anyway, I thought I'd make the offer to organize something. It's a long way off, so there is lots of time. The only thing I have to do very early on is buy the tickets for Yankee Stadium. Cross town rivalries mean the tickets will sell out fast. There shouldn't be any problem with the other two games.

Possible Meet

Post 8

Baron Grim

You know who might be in that area then? Lady Pennywhistle U250656. I think she may be in New York right now on vacation, but she's also checking out NYU and a few other schools in that area.

Possible Meet

Post 9

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I'm surprised Paul hasn't responded to the Boston part of the trip, at least.

Possible Meet

Post 10

Hypatia

I don't think Paul is subscribed to my journals. I'll have to ping him about it.

Besides Witty and Paul, d'E U18695 is in New Jersey and Leo U519437 is in New York City. Sporky U? is somewhere in New England. Leo has just about deserted h2g2 and Sporky is in poor health and hasn't been active here for ages.

Possible Meet

Post 11

Hypatia

Also, there are people who have absolutely no interest in meets, even if they are close enough to make it practical. Otherwise the London meets would be huge.

Possible Meet

Post 12

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I thought I'd seen Paul here beforesmiley - doh

Possible Meet

Post 13

Hypatia

Amy, Paul posts in the Rights of the Few journal. smiley - smiley

I've never been to California, so the west coast will be the next trip after this one. It's so hard to just go to one park after another even if they are close geographically because of the schedules. I'm hoping that I can do either the Giants or A's at a time when the Mariners are also at home. Ideally, do the Padres and Dodgers or Angels then drive north to San Francisco, stop off in Mufflewhump territory then do Seattle. Perhaps stop in Phoenix on the way to San Diego or Denver on the way back home. That will be a cool trip. We could get in as many as 5 or 6 games. With 30 professional teams, it is going to take several years to get them all in.

Possible Meet

Post 14

smiley - ok

Possible Meet

Post 15

coelacanth

Hmmmm.
I have a birthday on 15th June. A stonking big fat number of a one. And I'm off work from the 18th for a few days...
smiley - book
smiley - bluefish

Possible Meet

Post 16

Hypatia

Oooooooooooooooh! That would be fabulous, Coely. Have you seen Niagra Falls? You could do that with us. smiley - biggrin

Possible Meet

Post 17

coelacanth

Anyone with a very long memory on h2g2 might recall that my virtual self here has seen Niagra Falls. Sadly my real life self as a single parent for the last 12 years has seen very little of anything. I'm just bookmarking and thinking at the moment. My income is erratic, I have no savings but I do have debts, I'm in the middle of putting my second daughter through university and there are days when I'm looking down the back of the sofa for change to buy milk.

But there is the matter of the stonking big number and a vague feeling that I really should do something to mark it, just for me. No one else will if I don't. And if I had a bucket list, visting New York would be on it, as would Niagra Falls.

Hmmmmm.
smiley - bluefish

Possible Meet

Post 18

Baron Grim

Slowly I turned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?=_yJBzMWJCc

Possible Meet

Post 19

Witty Moniker

Coely, I hope you can make the trip. You can stay with me. Summer at the shore will be in full swing!

Possible Meet

Post 20

coelacanth

Thank you so much Witty! I'd really like to make it if possible. So if anyone has tips for where to find cheap flights, when to apply for visas etc, perhaps they could drop by my page, rather than clutter up Hypatia's journal.
smiley - bluefish

Key: Complain about this post