A Conversation for Portland, Oregon, USA

Changes in the Rose City

Post 1

The Little Prince

Unfortunately, Henry Weinhard's brewery has been closed down and the production volume shipped over somewhere in Washington state. It seems the Miller Brewing company (proud new owners of said Henry Weinhard's) has seen fit to take this treasured jewel from the state where it was born. Such is the nature of change I guess.

To replace the buildings, which span several city blocks, a company has come forward with plans to develop it into a mecca of urban renewal. I've seen conceptual drawing for this area and they do look quite smashing. However, the way that architects draw could make my parent's single story home in the country seem like the most exciting place on earth.

I would also like to add that another "Irish Pub" has opened in Portland called "Tir na Nog" which according to my Irish friends means land of youth (or something to that effect). If you ever have a chance to stop in be sure to get something to eat. You will find the best Bar food in Portland there.

That's all for now, hope that helped.

Cheers,
smiley - smiley

Changes in the Rose City

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Arrrgh! Weinhard's is now owned by Miller?

The Irish pubs were one of my favorite parts of the visit. I remember one (Kells?) where they had bills stuck to the roof. My idiotic and drunk friend spent a good deal of time there trying to get his bill stuck to the roof, claiming that static electricity or magnetism was involved to keep them up there (the bill was tied over a couple of quarters in a bow-tie fashion... he was convinced the quarters were attracted to a magnet, despite the fact that quarters have absolutely no iron and aren't even the slightest bit magnetic), and amused himself to no end until he paid the bartender $20 to demonstrate the secret... who then palmed a tack into the folds and stuck it to the ceiling.

Oh yeah, the live Irish band was pretty good, too. smiley - winkeye

Changes in the Rose City

Post 3

The Little Prince

I share your pain on the Weinhard's situation. It so utterly shook my hop-intake foundations that I converted to the order of the silver bullet. I figured at least no one is going to try and buy out a company as big as Coors. I used to have good taste in beer before this.

Kells is our biggest Irish pub and we do seem to have a fair amount of them. I must sincerely thank you for telling me how they do that with the quarters. Of all my theories tacks or gum were the most likely methods, but still magnets seemed almost plausible (lots of things seemed plausible under the right conditions). You can tell your friend that his 20 dollars wasn't spent in vain. I'll tell everyone I know the secret!

If you're ever town again let me know. I can give you some other fun places to take your idiotic, drunken friends. smiley - smiley

Cheers!

Changes in the Rose City

Post 4

Radagast

What's this about bringing lots of money if moving to Portland? I was under the impression that it was a pretty inexpensive city, compared to other major cities like SanFran, Seattle, Boston, NY, Chicago. I have a friend there who lives comfortably on a food service salary- try doing that in most other major cities! Maybe this note was added by someone from the country, where things are cheap, or maybe it was an attempt to scare off potential immigrants, though according to the article, rich immigrants are the least desirable to most residents.

As a potential non-rich immigrant from Boston, MA, where everything is much more expensive than it is anywhere else in the US with the exception of NYC, and maybe a few other cities or tourist traps, I'm curious about the cost of living, and anything else any Portlanders can tell me. I promise that I am really from Boston, and not California, and that I will not cut down trees to build things, start a mall, or even a brewery or used record shop, as I understand you have plenty of those. If I do move to Portland, it will be to teach in a public school system- to selflessly serve your children! (or at least try to teach them).

Thanks,
Radagast

Changes in the Rose City

Post 5

chickadee (wheee!)

You really want to try and teach people like me? I'm impressed. We have good public schools here, but don't be too hopeful about a job with them....a dumb bill was passed about ten years ago so that schools are funded by the state, and each school now gets the same amount of money per student. Unfortunately, costs are higher to run a school in the city that in the country, so our formerly wonderful schools are cutting off about fifteen days of the school year this year, because of lack of funds (that means that we started in early september and will get out in the middle of may) and spring sports are only being funded through donations, and the outdoor school program probably is being cut, and we may have no high school electives next year. There is a measure right now, a temporary income tax raise, that will cost most people a couple of lattés per month, and if it passes, we may have to cut only ten days. So any Oregon residents...PLEASE VOTE "YES" ON MEASURE 28!!! Our schools really are good, and the kids are angels, like me.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 6

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I've been thinking that if I move back to the Northwest, I'll probably move to Vancouver. I've been hearing things about Oregon that are just too much to swallow. Socialized medicine, bizzare tax policies, the state patrol is laying off troopers, the school spending formula.

I'd love to go back to Portland, but the politics in Oregon are crazy.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 7

chickadee (wheee!)

So come back and vote and fix them smiley - smiley

Changes in the Rose City

Post 8

I'd be just another loon in the wildrenss. There are some times you have to vote with your feet. After reading this thread I did start looking at some stuff about Vancouver. It's close enough to Portland to go there in the evenings, but you don't have to pay income tax.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 9

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

If you don't like socialized medicine, you won't like Vancouver. The Canadians have had it for eons, and are beginning to regret it.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 10

I was talking about Vancouver, Washington. I can practice my profession in Canada.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 11

Darkmirror

Vote. vote thats why things have gone weird.
portlanders are a strange lot. thay have willing given them selves a city incometax. to fund the schools, portlnaders have strong sosoalist tendencys.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 12

Thaddeus

Kell's is still there; right around SW 5th/something or other.

Changes in the Rose City

Post 13

Thaddeus

I know so little about $, but I'm given to understand that some residents of SW WA (an area we sometimes, not so affectionately call "the 'couve", r sometimes prone to say about P-town...that (to whit): "they just want u to come; spend all ur $/leave"...but who knows?

Key: Complain about this post