A Conversation for Public speaking

Peer Review: A795657 - Public speaking

Post 1

Samarpita

Entry: Public speaking - A795657
Author: Researcher 199500 - U199500

Public speaking is an art form, popularised by the likes of Martin Luther and John F. Kennedy. Before that people assumed it was a form of public torture for the public as well as the speaker.

I was once witness to a mesmerising performance by a speaker on stage. The speaker broke into uncontrollable giggles, with the result that he proceeded to complete the entire speech in a constant state of high rapture. It left the audience completely befuddled as to what was going on and as the speaker tried to control himself, he could only manage to stumble off the stage muttering incoherently.

A much more succesful technique I suppose would be to fix the audience with a glassy stare and to ignore them completely. Then to proceed through the speech with the unrelenting ardour of a army general, proceeding through enemy lines, giving no quarter, no matter what, mowing down resistance.

A third, highly succesful technique, to be used when avoiding questions at question hour in Parliament, is to close your eyes, in effect to signal to the audience to do the same, and then to pause for infinite lengths of time between each syllable until everyone has forgotten what the question was.

In all cases it cannot be denied that speaking in public is like singing in the bathroom, where everybody is glad they don't have to listen to you.

A795657 - Public speaking

Post 2

caper_plip

Hi there!

Welcome to H2G2! I can see that this is your first Entry into Peer Review.

Have you read the Writing-Guidelines? This gives an idea of what is expected of Entries that enter the Edited Guide... meaning no 1st person references...

Also, this Entry is too short to cover a large topic such as public speaking... maybe you could expand a little on this subject!

I hope your stay in H2G2 is as enjoyable as everyone else's!smiley - smiley

Caper Plipsmiley - borgsmiley - tennisball

Post 3

Friar

Hi researcher #______.

If you want to update your name, you can click on to preferences (if your background is white, aka alabaster, then it's on the top, if your background is blue, aka goo, then it's on the left), and give yourself a more personal name.
If you are a Borg, then you might want to tack on ### of 120,342 or something. And trust me, some folks actually do. . .
Pesky Borg.

smiley - cheers
Friar

Post 4

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Actually, Researcher #, this is a great topic for an entry and it does need more work and structure before it will be ready for the Edited Guide.

It would also make a great collaborative entry if you haven't the stomach to do it alone!smiley - smiley I for one would contribute as this is a subject area I know something about.

Do tell us what you intend doing here. Have a good look at other Edited entries so you can see what the score is.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 5

Friar

Cheers!
Defintely read a bunch of entries to get the idea.

Start on the front page with today's new ones, then start searching for edited guide entries on topics yo're interested in or might help with your writings.

Friar

Post 6

Samarpita

Thank you for your reply. Honestly I have no idea what to do next. I do realise this needs more work, as its a very short entry. I am working on it some more. Please do feel free to tell me your views and suggestions and any changes or contributions you would like to make. Thanks.

Post 7

Samarpita

Thank you for your reply. Honestly I have no idea what to do next. I do realise this needs more work, as its a very short entry. I am working on it some more. Please do feel free to contribute and yes I would love to collaborate with you on this entry.

Do tell me your views and suggestions and any changes or contributions you would like to make.Thanks.

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

When I do an entry to put in PR, I do a brief introduction and usually map out headings as a sort of backbone to the piece. In this case, the introduction might say something like public speaking being the one thing most people fear doing, and some even fear it more than dying.

Then I would look at the reasons people make speaches - weddings, business presentations, politicians, etc, etc. You need to consider how many people you are speaking in front of and how formal the speach is.

Then I'd look at how long the speach might last and at what background research you might have to do.

After background research, you would look to structure your speach - tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and tell them what you've just told them.

Then I might look at what visual aids I might want to use, or if the speaker wants the presentation to be interactive or not.

Then I would mention humour.

Then something about checking the room out in advance (if possible), last minute preparations, breathing and confidence ideas, the use of notes, or not.

Then finally, giving the speach and looking how it went, so that you learn from any mistakes for the next occasion.

Does that help?

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Oh, yes, and spell checking any visual aids or handouts. See if you can see which word I've spelled incorrectly thoughout the last posting! Hits you on the nose, doesn't it.

Post 10

Friar

You should decide if this is a "how to" piece or a "historical" piece. Really for the guide it could go either way. The "history" of public speaking would be long, but interesting. The Romans and Greeks were obviously the early masters of the form.

Also, famous speeches through the ages could be mentioned:
a few dramatic works might count (think: St. crispin's day)
a few historical works (a day that will live in infamy, I have a dream)

The problem with a historical account is that it demands intense research and will never be thorough enough.

Perhaps a "how to" like Zarq mentioned earlier would be best.

Think of your main points, put them in headers, and fill out the rest.
Zarqoun gave some great advice and following that will really help get you going.

It's hard for us to be too specific without actually writing the article. Have a go at it and I'll be sure to look again!

Friar

Post 11

Dr Hell

Exactly... I agree with all the above.

Minor question: Martin Luther - King? or the German protestant?

Bye,

HELL

Post 12

Samarpita

I have posted an updated entry. Please do see it and let me know your comments. Martin Luther? Actually I am not very sure. I was thinking of the gentleman who made the speech "I have a dream...". I think that was Martin Luther-King. Though I am not very sure.

Thanks,
Bye
Samarpita

Post 13

Stuart

"tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and tell them what you've just told them"

Hmm, where you in the Armed Forces by any chance? That exactly what I was taught. Five minutes for the first and last bits and twenty minutes for the middle bit followed by ten minutes for questions, making forty minutes in total. Forty minutes is recconed to be the maximum time the average human can concentrate. After that, no matter how interesting you speech, presentaion etc, is, their minds begin to wander.

One other thing, when you stand up in front of an audience to speak, you have about five minutes to grab their attention. If you havnt said something really interesting by then, they will just switch off and you will end up talking to yourself. A well timed joke or something similar is good, but only if you are good at telling jokes. There is nothing worse than a badly delivered joke.

Regards

Stuart

Post 14

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Stuart,

If your last comment was aimed at me, noI didn'tsmiley - laugh. although I was taught it many years ago.

Samarpita,

Have you posted it with another thread? If so, you will need to remove this one. I've just checked and you don't appear to have amended this entry. If you need help with this, just ask.

Post 15

Dr Hell

New thread is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F48874?thread=204801&post=2320798#p2320798 I would suggest the Author to remove this one from PR then. HELL

Post 16

Samarpita

Thank you for updating the thread. I had posted the "updated" entry as a new entry in PR. I didn't know how to updated the existing entry. Please tell me how and I will update it immediately. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Samarpita

Post 17

Stuart

Hi Samarpita,

To edit an existing entry you need to click Edit This Entry. Where you find it is dependant on which 'skin' you are using. With Brunel it is in the top right hand section of the screen when the article is displayed, BTW, I reccomend Brunel. It has a lot going for it provding you can stand the green bits.

Once in edit mode you have two options. You can delete all existing information and copy and past new information from a Word processor for instance.

Or you can edit it on line making changes as required.

Don't forget to click update when you are done.

The former is the easiest providing you maintain a master copy on your own computer.

Hope this help

Best wishes

Stuart

Post 18

Dr Hell

Brunel looks like ugly sludge... YUCK!

You can also delete this thread and nurse the other one. In any case let us know.

Bye,

HELL

Post 19

Samarpita

Thank you for all your comments. They were very illuminating for me. I am posting the updated entry here(again). Please do let me know your comments and suggestions on this one. Thanks again for your help and time.

Regards,
Samarpita

Public speaking is a form of art, the groundwork for which was laid over 2300 years ago. Public presentations maybe some balance of the three proofs: ethos (ethical), pathos (emotional), and logos (logical). The ethos is the speaker and his or her character as revealed through the communication. The pathos is the audience and the emotions felt by them during the rhetoric. The logos is the speaker's logical appeals. A rhetorician may identify with the audience and their perception as an important part of public speaking. In fact a speech maybe effective only if it stirs up emotions in its audience.

A mesmerizing performance by a speaker may result if the speaker were to break into uncontrollable giggles, with the result that he may proceed to complete the entire speech in a constant state of high rapture. It may leave the audience completely befuddled as to what is going on and as the speaker tries to control himself, he may only manage to stumble off the stage muttering incoherently.

A much more successful technique could be to fix the audience with a glassy stare and to ignore them completely and to proceed through the speech with the unrelenting ardor of a army general, proceeding through enemy lines, giving no quarter, no matter what, mowing down resistance.

A third, highly successful technique, which could be used when avoiding unfavorable questions, is to close your eyes, in effect to signal to the audience to do the same, and then to pause for infinite lengths of time between each syllable until everyone has forgotten what the question was.

However there are essentially two parts to making speeches in public, the content and the delivery of the speech. The following methodology may be adopted to enable one to shine in the face of all impending speech making debacles.

Public speech is an outcome of reason. In this context it may be construed as a causal force, or as a quality of human mental well being. Both being instrumental as well as necessary, towards effecting a positive outcome to the whole episode.

Several reasons for public speaking maybe:
1. Demonstrative: observance of social occasions e.g., weddings, funerals.
2. Persuasive: effecting business outcomes e.g., presentations.
3. Deliberative: effecting judicial and administrative outcomes e.g., lawsuits, legislation.

At this point writing aids maybe used to note down the salient points, which will form the essence of the speech. As the occasion looms ahead of us it is necessary to appear at ones best. One can do so by being organized, by proceeding in a knowledgeable manner on the topic at hand, and thereby impressing everyone as to the deep grasp one has of the subject matter. This knowledge can be acquired by determinedly perusing a large number of documentation in existence on the relevant subject matter.

The message could be short, simple and convincing. This could essentially consist of the introduction, where the objective of the speech could be out lined and these could be elucidated in the main body of the speech. A summary and conclusion could effectively outline the outcome, if any, the speaker could be attempting to achieve from the audience.

A strong opening maybe necessary to obtain the audiences attention, however, this may rebound if the audience were unable to establish the relevance of the opening message. This maybe avoided if one has a good knowledge of the audience, which can be ascertained by gauging their reactions to questions pertaining to the message being delivered. However this may not be feasible. Hence it may be better to make a strong ending. However any facts, which may enhance or establish credibility maybe included at the beginning as it may predispose the audience to be more attentive.

The next step is to develop ones communication abilities. The qualities necessary to be an effective speaker are:

1. The ability to speak
2. The ability to speak coherently
3. The ability to speak coherently at very high decibels

It is necessary to bring the speech to it reasonable and logical conclusion by delivering it in a clear, articulate manner. The occasion may call upon one to speak in a pitch of voice one may normally reserve for other drivers on the road at rush hour. Hence it is necessary to practice speaking at the appropriate decibel levels in advance until the neighbors call the law enforcement agencies.

A speaker's physical attributes may cause some amount of distraction and maybe an impediment to delivering the message clearly. These maybe overcome by curtailing physical motions to a minimum and instead attempting to focus the audience attention by the modulation of voice, by raising it, lowering it, by well-timed pauses, to highlight the importance of relevant points.

The best methodology for the speaker would perhaps be to brainstorm, research, strategize and rehearse, to demonstrate high levels of enthusiasm, along with a short clear message.

The last step is to check the venue in advance, for bugs, seriously the loud speakers may not be working properly. Last minute preparations could include going to the theatre, attempting to transfer the speech to unsuspecting friends, and, or, fleeing the country. After making the speech many speakers feel an intense feeling of relief, it is like having survived the Titanic.

Post 20

Friar

Or, you could publish the whole article in this forum, no wait! don't do that. . .d'oh!

Friar

Key: Complain about this post