interpretations of what they have seen/heard in the Phantom Menace. One
must remember that this is only PART of the story, to judge it's
overall depth is premature and futile. Certainly Goerge Lucas has
carefully weighed the motions of the characters long before any of us
knew the movie was in production! The middle trilogy could stand
alone, why not the first trilogy as well? While we all know the new
movie is part of our beloved culture, we must remember that NO ONE
has seen the full epic, and thus NO ONE can judge it's passages
apart from the whole and seem even remotely credible...
I say let the movies play out, then watch them all in sequence,
and decide whether Mr. Lucas is a good storyteller, or not...
Oh, I have also placed this on my page so as to keep it avaliable when this overall
discussion is deleted... ; } ~

Star Wars...the Plot.

Post 22

Amanda

I can see your point, sort of...but think about this. The first trillogy stands on it's own...sure, as far as the characters who were being dealt with at the time were concerned. And perhaps, due to the books, speculation, etc., some people could read too much into what will take place in this trilogy. My posting wasn't meant to quash any fervor/daydreaming on the subject of Star Wars; I'm quite happy that there are people out there who loved the movie so much, they want to discuss their own points of view. I think that's great, really. But as you said in another posting, you are a self-prescribed Star Wars expert. As am I, to some degree. Debate on this matter would probably be academic, since we do NOT in fact know for sure what is to happen in the next two Episodes. Nonetheless, Lucas HAS given us a glimpse, through both interviews he's given about the nature of this series, also through the FACT of what's transpired in the original Episodes...Anakin is trained by Obi-Wan, fathers Luke and Leia via "a beautiful, sad woman" (Leia, Episode VI), aka Amidala, turns to the Dark Side with help from Sidious/Palpatine, Clone Wars insue, and Anakin becomes Vader due to the nature of the battle that will take place between Obi-Wan and himself. The Jedi counsel will be disbanded/ killed, whence Obi-Wan and Yoda become hermits, and Vader will rule the galaxy next to Palpatine- who, in Episode One, has already began his conquest of power. There. In my humble opinion, Episodes IV-VI were the climatic end to a long running conflict. Episodes I-III are going to divulge the history of this conflict. If you wish that the next Episodes waste their effort by trying to find a way to bring Darth Maul, a relatively insignificant character, back into the story, then so be it. But I think that most true Star Wars fans will be sorely dissapointed. The most important thing about Maul's character? He was a great, and vivid, representation of the TRUE meaning of Phantom Menace- the swelling tide of evil and corruption that will consume the galaxy in the tales to come.

Amanda

Maul with no legs...

Post 23

Researcher 25287

this is the first i've heard of their being two prints... whered you get this info? quite odd, methinks. clarify?

cameo spoiler

Post 24

Industrial Gila Dolphin

I think there were a great deal of references to the other sci-fi fictions besides just e.t. I swear at the C3PO "workshop" there were lacrose equipment and toys "dressed" to be more techno, which I think would be a nod to the MST3K bots. Crow has a lacrose helmet net as a part of his head. Or maybe I'm seeing more in the movie than I should.
But are there others?

Maul with no legs...

Post 25

Baggio

Turns out that it was an accident... when they were showing the screenings, they made two prints because they thought they may not get the PG rating if Maul was cut in half...
When the MPAA gave them the thumbs up with Maul getting sliced, the prints with him remaining intact were to be recalled, and destroyed. Some prints remained, and were even distributed.
Lucas has since stated that they were not supposed to be released, and that the problem would be corrected shortly. Source was several of the EPI:TPM site such as Ain't-it-cool-news, and TheForce.Net.

cameo spoiler

Post 26

Stephen P.

There are references all over - even in the landscape. Tatooine is Arrakis, from Dune; Corrusant is Trantor, from the Foundation books, and the city on Naboo looks a lot like a city in the children's book, Dinotopia. Lucas (if all these ideas were his) is well grounded in sf and fantasy

cameo spoiler

Post 27

Cosmos

I thought the Gungan city was really cool. Also I read that the boy who played Anakin (Jake Lloyd or something) had a younger sister who was also in the movie. She was as Princess Ellie, does anyone know who she was? The movie was great.

Star Wars...the Plot.

Post 28

Researcher 38045

Greetings! I have been out for a bit... I do quite agree with your reposte', and certainly I ment no disrespect. While
the Star Wars lore is deep and rich, it is by no means complete(if it ever actually will be...). We are all eager to see
what Lucas has in store for us, especiallt now that the technology has somewhat caught up with his vision..!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more