A Conversation for Citybreaks

Calgary, AB, Canada

Post 1

Pisano

Calgary and the surrounding area can be a great place for a getaway. With a variety of attractions, both in the summer, and winter the city is bustling with excitement.

For the summer guest early July is the most favourable time to visit. Throw on your western duds and come see the Calgary Stampede. With rides, pancakes, horses, and light shows it’s easy to see why it’s one of the world’s largest summer events.

As winter goes, Calgary can get pretty chilly, but not to worry. Calgary’s city centre is well planned, and equipped with what us locals call the Plus-15’s. A set of overpasses connecting most of the building in the downtown core.

For the sports fans, Canada Olympic Park is located 15 minutes from the down town core, where you can enjoy skiing, bobsleigh, and Calgary’s own Olympic museum, celebrating the 1988 Winter Olympics proudly hosted by the city. As well as many small and large ski resorts located within 2 hours of the city.

Accommodations can be found throughout the city. Ranging from small motels, hostels, to Calgary’s Paliser Hotel. A stately 80-year-old hotel with a gracious air. Travelers are able to find lodging to fit any budget.

For any season, and any budget, Calgary can be a great getaway spot.

Calgary, AB, Canada

Post 2

Steve K.

I have enjoyed Alberta, but my experience was Edmonton. Not in the mountains and no Stampede, but a great place to visit in the summer. 40 below in the winter, Fahrenheit or Celsius, your choice, I'll pass. But very pleasant in the summer, and some nice attractions like the glass pyramids with nature exhibits (at least some years ago).

A work friend there was interested in Calgary, from a business standpoint. He said there are no barbecue restaurants in Calgary and we should start one. Being from Houston, Texas, USA, home of the huge Livestock Show and Rodeo, and where you can throw a rock in any direction and hit a barbecue joint, I found it hard to believe. A Stampede with no barbecue? Tell me its not true. smiley - burger

Calgary, AB, Canada

Post 3

Pisano

Unfortunately, it almost is true.

I've run into steakhouses, and eateries, but no true to life BBQ joints. The closest thing would be the Red Devil restaurant, but in my personal opinion it's just an overpriced bar.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more