A Conversation for The Answer To The Ultimate Question Of Life, The Universe, And Everything

The question is "Think of a number, any number"

Post 1

ender7390

In the second(?) book, Marvin reads Arthur's branwaves in the black car. Later, when he is on the planet with mattresses, he asks the mattress "Think of a number, any number." It replies "5" and Marvin says "Wrong. See how much smarter I am than you?"

This is the question, I am sure of it. Even though it isn't really a question.

Of course, then the question is "Haven't both the question and the answer existed for a long time, thereby replacing the universe with something even more unpredictable?" My reply "Yep. How else could the answer be 42?"
smiley - spork

Post 2

Think-Am

I thought about this. Now, one of my theories of the Ultimate Question of the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is that Marvin is actually Earth. Remember when he said that 'his head was the size of a planet...? Maybe he meant that literally...

Post 3

Wise-buffoon

I hope you aren't being serious Thinkam.

Post 4

ender7390

I thought about that too. It doesn't seem like Deep thought is smarter than Marvin, does it?

Post 5

Think-Am

*to ender7390*
I'm not sure. In the book, Deep Thought seemed much more intelligent.
*to wisebuffoon*
I am.

But Marvin, being infinitely depressed and all, doesn't seem the type to be the greatest computer ever...

Post 6

Wise-buffoon

We are talking about the story written by Douglas Adams aren't we? I don't understand how it is possible to have a theory about what happens in someone else's story, when it is easy to find out what actually happens by reading/listening to/watching it.

Post 7

Think-Am

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Post 8

Wise-buffoon

What I mean is if there was an answer to the question, then he would have written it down. If it isn't in any of the story how can this be the question?

Post 9

Think-Am

I see what you mean. He certainly inteded Mostly Harmless to be the last book in the series, and he didn't say the question at all in any of the books...

Post 10

Plebis -- Wielder of Swords, Sayer of 'Sodit' and Thingite Arch Recruiting Sergent for the Grand Warlord Clive the Flying Ostrich [back from touring the universe]

If you had a brain the size of a planet and knew the secrets of the universe, wouldn't you be depressed to?

You'd be the cause for an even more bizzare universe.

Post 11

ender7390

"What I mean is if there was an answer to the question, then he would have written it down. If it isn't in any of the story how can this be the question?"

Sure he wrote it down. It's in the book. He's not going to come right out and say "here's the questions guys, this is it!" In his book, Dirk gently's holistic detective agency, he doesn't even tell you how they save the world. Or, he does, but he doesn't say why what they do works. you might have to read the book to understand what I mean.

My point is, he gives hints and leaves it up to you to figure it out. Authors do it all the time. Why wouldn't he do the same with the ultimate question?

Oh, and if you read "The Salmon of Doubt," it says he was thinking about writing a sixth hitchhiker's book, although he didn't plan it before hand.

Post 12

ender7390

One more thing, the computer, i can't remember it's name, the one on the ship, also says "think of a number, any number" when arthur is talking about the question. He says something like "but i wish i knew what the question was," and then the computer replies.

Once might have been just a joke, but twice... this has gotta be it.

Post 13

ht6bc

..IT IS FORsmiley - aleTUOU.S. IF NOT FOR 42 WHAT WOULD WE BE.

Key: Complain about this post