That'll put a new spin on things.smiley - groan

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 63

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

It's certainly a new twist.

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 64

$u$

This conversation is getting very dicey.

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 65

Secretly Not Here Any More

Wouldn't a smiley just generate a new random result every time the page is reloaded? smiley - erm

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 66

Mu Beta

That's true. You'd need a central database with a verification table.

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 67

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Not sure whether or not this is possible with the current setup: the 'roll' takes place between someone posting a smiley, and the post getting written to the database.

There would actually be 36 smileys (assuming we're rolling 2d6), and would get substituted with (eg) . This gets written into the post, and saved to the database.

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 68

$u$

Simples!smiley - panda

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 69

Baron Grim

I can't remember where it was, but I was once on a chat site or maybe it was a BBS (yes, I'm old) where if you posted the word "roll" it would return a dice roll for you. You could specify the number of dice and sides per each such as "roll 2d20" for two twenty sided dice. Of course, ninety percent of the time it returned dice rolls after some just said, "I'm on a roll" or something else completely unrelated. Very few people on that site actually wanted to roll dice. Most of the time we had to explain what the resulting non sequitur meant.

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 70

$u$

Random. I like it. I believe someone posted about such a site further up the conversation, MB perhaps?

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 71

McKay The Disorganised

I think we should incorporate this as a feature of the site. Everytime someone use the word roll a random dice roll pops up.

Great idea.

smiley - cider

Yeah! I'm back, baby!

Post 72

$u$

Or maybe a random smiley - ant every time someone mentions a bug.smiley - whistle

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mu Beta

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more