A Conversation for Talking Point: A New Year Challenge

Photograph a day

Post 1

Aurora

I think I might regret making this resolution, but I'm going to attempt Project 365. The idea is that you take one photograph every day for a year, no matter how difficult it is to find a new subject to photograph. Nobody else will be interested in the photos, but hopefully it'll be an unusual record of my life for a year, improve my photography and make me look at things in more detail than I would have done otherwise. smiley - smiley

Photograph a day

Post 2

virtualmemory

I took a predigital photo a day. I stuck them in a bunch of albums. They take up space and I rarely look at them.
May I suggest a photo log? There are probably many sites. I use Fotolog. Somehow it makes the commitment more tangible! Also don't worry if you do miss a very few. Things happen!
I also wrote a short story a day and put them on the internet. That was in 2000 and I haven't recovered. I was working 11 hour shifts six days a week so I wrote them on my 45 minute lunch breaks, so no excuses about not enough time!

Photograph a day

Post 3

NPY

Good idea. Could be interesting. Though it'll be a Project 366 - 2008's a leap year. Hope that extra pic won't put you off.

Photograph a day

Post 4

Aurora

Project 366, of course! smiley - doh

Virtualmemory, I've signed up to Photoblog to do just that, but I'm waiting to see how well it goes before I give anyone the link.

Photograph a day

Post 5

Bluemooner

I like this idea of a photograph a day as a New year resolution. Partly because I like the idea of taking pics for no apparent reason (as opposed to the usual - trips to seaside, kids birthdays, etc). More importantly though, I want to upgrade my camera and that would give me a good excuse to do so!

Thanks for convincing me that I should!

Photograph a day

Post 6

surreygoodlife

My plan is to take a photograph from the same point each day to provide a record of the changing seasons. I'm sure I won't be here every day but hopefully there will be enough photo's to get a worthwhile result.

Photograph a day

Post 7

nickwhite677

Reminds me of 2001 when full of post-millennial fervour I decided to take a picture every month of the magnificent view of Duncton Hill from my office, with the idea of producing a cheap but attractive calendar for all my friends. Watching the slowing changing seasonal hues, the shimmering bands of mist and the stunning leaf fall had been an inspiration to my work. Carefully judged angles, same time of day, same camera...

Gave up round about May time - just looked like a load of pictures of the same hill, but slightly more greeny-browny-grey each time. Still, got me out of the office! smiley - smiley

Photograph a day

Post 8

Gamb0

Don't worry about the subject matter. I take a picture of an old oak tree in my back garden every day. Nobody else is interested but I think it's amazing to see the daily changes over a year when viewed in 'fast forward'!

Photograph a day

Post 9

Sho - employed again!

oh oh oh
can I sign up for that?
I'm going to take a photo a day from my balcony of the back garden
it's a complete mess so everyone will be able to see if I actually get around to doing anything!

Photograph a day

Post 10

NPY

You have a balcony!?!?!? That's not fair!!

I suppose you have to pick the right subject if you're doing this at the same place and time every day. A concrete wall just wouldn't work, but the oak tree or the right street or something could work really well.

Photograph a day

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

I'm a little worried about the every day thing because I too was thinking it needs to be at the same time. During the winter, during the week, I'm only home when it's dark. In summer it's not an issue. I'll try a photo now and see what it turns out like.

Photograph a day

Post 12

myk

Good idea and good luck. I was thinking of the changing seasons thing too, and i might try and take a photo each day if i can .
Happy Naw Year!!!!smiley - bubbly

Photograph a day

Post 13

kirstatron

I said to my twin sister that gave birth a year and a month or so ago that she should photgraph every day with the wee yin in pretty much the same position of just a full shot of her. Speed it up and it shows the growth of the wee yin getting older. beautiful blank cavas of life forming a picture show without knowing...

Photograph a day

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

i wish I'd done that when I was pregnant - there are a few on YouTube and it's brilliant

And I realised that some days I won't manage - we're going away for 2 weeks in Summer, for example, but I'll give it a go.

I'm going for 7pm every day. Might be a bit boring though...

Photograph a day

Post 15

accountsgirlie

Wow - what an interesting idea. I have a large horse chestnut tree in the garden. Can't take a daily photo 'cos at this time of year it's always dark when I leave for work and when I get home but I think I might try a weekly photo to see the changes in the tree

It would be interesting to see how all of these photos had turned out.

Photograph a day

Post 16

myk

Great idea will remember that if i ever haave a wee yinsmiley - laughsmiley - biggrin
Happy New Year!!!!

Photograph a day

Post 17

NPY

Sounds like an amazing idea with the wee baby. I saw one on youtube once from early pregnancy through to there being a baby. Was impressed.

You do have a point bout it being dark in winter for doing something at the same time each day. Also, it does get messed up if you go away on holiday or something.

What bout just talking a random pic of something interesting, wherever and whenever you see it? You get a pic for each day, but it won't rely on it being at a set time or place in the dark/rain.

Photograph a day

Post 18

Sho - employed again!

I'll see how it goes

but I was an hour late with today's
*sigh*

Photograph a day

Post 19

NPY

Well it's only the 1st today, so maybe you were on time??

Photograph a day

Post 20

Sho - employed again!

only if I want the next 4 months worth of photos to be black smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post