A Conversation for Mostly Harmless MC- The H2G2 Motorcycle Club

Do you speak German?

Post 1

IctoanAWEWawi

Cos I don't, and neither it seems does Google/Babelfish!

Elsewhere I have documented my tyre woes. Seems I can get the correct tyre from bridgestone but only on back order and they won;t give a lead time (have heard 3 months on the web!). So, still sans bike.

However, there is a very good CB1000 resource/riders site at:
http://www.big-one.de/

And looking through the forums there's lots of comments about tyres.
I found the following links from the forum:
http://www.big-one.de/forum/messages/7587.html

(and lots of other entries).

If there are any German readers on here who might have the time to scan through for the tyre advice (either on the main forum or the link above) and let me know if they are saysing that a 180/55 will fit on the original wheel rim. Or if a 160/60 will.

I've seen the sizes mentioned in the threads but the translation software fails to make sense of the comments.
I would post, but this seems to be a bit of a common subject and they seem to get a bit pee'd off with people constantly asking it!

Any help gratefully received and repaid with smiley - ale!

Do you speak German?

Post 2

IctoanAWEWawi

also suggested link of http://www.big-one.de/forum/messages/7822.html

Do you speak German?

Post 3

Beatrice

Have you tried asking Sho or B'elana?

I'll stick a message on their PSes.

Good luck smiley - stout

Do you speak German?

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

No need for that. I'll have a look at this tomorrow, I'm just on my way to bed. smiley - ok

Do you speak German?

Post 5

IctoanAWEWawi

smiley - cheers much appreciated!

Do you speak German?

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Ok, so I've read the replies now. From what I can gather, they're all just about how to get permission from the German TÜV when wanting to use other tyres than the original ones. Nothing about Bridgestone, most mention Metzeler tyres. Sorry, I don't think this answers your question.

Do you speak German?

Post 7

IctoanAWEWawi

ok, thanks for looking! Virtual beverage of your choice for you smiley - smiley

Do you speak German?

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Thanks. smiley - smiley
You're welcome. If ever you need help with a German website, just ask. smiley - ok

Do you speak German?

Post 9

IctoanAWEWawi

will do!

Unfortunately the next website I found is Romanian - and although some words seem to be Spansih/Portuguese the rest clearly isn't. Think I'll have to let that one go!

Do you speak German?

Post 10

IctoanAWEWawi

hmm. And I ain't trusting the romanian->english site I found as the output is garbled, although amusingly it does contain the somewhat random phrase "its chicken perennial". I guess it could be literal translation but I'd be hard pushed to come up with a context!

Do you speak German?

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

*arrives late as usual*

well, I read some of the threads at work, and some more when I got back home and then saw that B'El already answered you

I had no idea that tires were so flippin' complicated!

Do you speak German?

Post 12

IctoanAWEWawi

that's mainly in Germany where they have type approval which really is a draconian approach to safety. I am full of respect for German bikers who ride custom bikes. Firstly the cost of it - and it isn't a one of cost, they have to jump through the hoops repeatedly. And then it basically comes down to the inspector taking the bike for a ride round the lot and deciding whether or not they think it is safe! Don;t know I'd have the patience!

Do you speak German?

Post 13

Sho - employed again!

oh yes, we are tested by TÜV until the cows come home.

Pity they can't test their (car)driving!!

Key: Complain about this post