A Conversation for Star Trek - the Science Fiction Phenomenon

Errata and pedantry

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

"Commander Spock was the emotionless Vulcan..." - half-Vulcan, please... smiley - aliensmile

"Doctor Bones Leonard McCoy" - shouldn't that read "Doctor Leonard 'Bones' McCoy"? smiley - erm

"...leaving an infinite trail of dead ensigns..." - infinite? Surely not? A "long" trail, perhaps... smiley - yikes

"...gateway between to Quandrants..." - *two* quadrants, perhaps?

And you imply that Ezri and Jadzia Dax are serving aboard DS9 at the same time... Not true... Also, Kira Nerys is a Major in the Bajoran military - it's a bit insulting to call them the "alien military", and she doesn't get promoted to Colonel till the series is almost over. smiley - grr

"new concepts in this serie." - *series*...

"in an unstabil area" - *unstable*...

"lates serie"? Wha doe tha mea? smiley - tongueout

"This serie is taking place" - *series*...

"Some of these will be starring in Genesis (Star trek X)." - Don't you mean "Nemesis"?

And the most recent series is called "Enterprise" - it's one of its distinguishing features that it's the first spin-off from the franchise that *doesn't* have the words "Star Trek" in the name... smiley - martianfrown

"This far every series has had an emotionless character, except DS9." - For the first couple of series of DS9, Odo was played as the emotionless character... smiley - nahnah

Footnote 3, "Played by Deforest Kelley" - that's "DeForest" (note the capital "F").

Finally, your Capitalisation Is a Little erratic... smiley - biggrin - "Star Trek", "Star trek" and "star trek" seem to be used interchangeably.

Don't take it personally; I'm just picky... A Trek entry is a worthy cause, and I wish you luck with it... Q'Plah! smiley - aliensmile

Errata and pedantry

Post 2

$u$

The reason the capitalisation, among other things, is somewhat erratic is because this recommended entry is currently being Subbed. So smiley - nahnah to you too Peet.smiley - winkeye

Errata and pedantry

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Fair enough; someone pointed the entry out to me, and I didn't spot that it was only "Recommended"... Sorry if my comments seemed harsh in context.

I hope the factual errors have been taken on board, though. Referring to Kira by the rank she gained in the latter part of the seventh series, for example, is akin to referring only to "Ambassador Spock", since that was his rank the last time we saw him. Or even "Captain Spock" as he was in the earlier movies. For something with this timespan, you can't just quote a rank out of context. smiley - smiley

Peet
(Sad Trekkie)

Errata and pedantry

Post 4

Frankie Roberto

There's a visible that's cropped in somehow...

Errata and pedantry

Post 5

Smij - Formerly Jimster

*Just* spotted that myself, Frankie, and zapped it straight away. Cheers for the backup.

One to beam back, Ashley!

smiley - run

Errata and pedantry

Post 6

manolan

It should be "lacklustre" rather than "lackluster".

Errata and pedantry

Post 7

Rebus

Sorry, more pedantry.

Re: The DS9 entry:

"The station had been taken back from an alien race known as the Bajorans, after a terrible war with the Cardassians, another alien race."

Shouldn't that read:

"The station had been taken from an alien race known as the Cardassians by the Bajorans, after a terrible war."

I still like the entry though smiley - smiley

--
Rebus

Errata and pedantry

Post 8

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I believe you're right Rebus - DS9 was originally Cardassian and was called Terak Nor (sp?) smiley - aliensmilesmiley - geek

A damn fine entry considering how wide-ranging and rambling a Star Trek entry could have been. This one pins it down pretty good smiley - cheers

Errata and pedantry

Post 9

Just being picky again, but for TNG the Ensigns only merit surnames, while for Enterprise you give them their full name...

In TNG it's Ensign Ro Laren (Bajoran "surnames" actually come first!) and Ensign Wesley Crusher... smiley - smiley

And I still think that Kira Nerys should be down as a Major in the Bajoran military, rather than a Colonel in the "alien military"... smiley - erm

Errata and pedantry

Post 10

Oh, and I just noticed, Wesley Crusher was played by Wil Wheaton... (not "Will") smiley - aliensmile

Errata and pedantry

Post 11

http://wilwheaton.net/smiley - martiansmile

Errata and pedantry

Post 12

MaW

* hops along *

That's all about right, methinks... pending inclusion of some of the things in this thread which haven't been corrected yet. It really does currently give a misleading impression of DS9 - it was a Cardassian space station built for mining purposes during the Cardassian occupation of Bajor - which wasn't really a war. It was just horrible.

Errata and pedantry

Post 13

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I've made the corrections recommended, and added a brief explanation of the relationship between Dax and his hosts. Hope this helps.

Jims

Errata and pedantry

Post 14

Much better - thanks, Jimster! smiley - ok

One last suggestion you can feel free to ignore...

'Majel Barrett Roddenberry (who appeared in the original series as Nurse Chappel and the voice of the ship's computer)' might more correctly read 'Majel Barrett Roddenberry (who appeared in the pilot episode as "Number One", the original series as Nurse Chappel, the Next Generation as Lwaxana Troi and as the voice of the ship's computer in various series)' smiley - winkeye

Errata and pedantry

Post 15

manolan

I still say it should be 'lacklustre'. h2g2 is meant to use British spelling, after all.

Errata and pedantry

Post 16

MaW

Indeed it should.

Errata and pedantry

Post 17

MaW

Oh, and the Dominion aren't an alien race, they're more like the Federation in that they're made up of many races, although ruled entirely by the Changelings. And of course the Jem'Hadar and Vorta don't really count because the Changelings/Founders genetically engineered them specifically for their roles within the Dominion. And they're a lot nastier than the Federation as well, hence the name.

Errata and pedantry

Post 18

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Ooops, missed 'lackluster/lacklustre' - fixed now. I added the bit about Majel Barrett when I did the final edit prior to appearing on Front Page (partly because she wasn't really mentioned in the original but also mainly just to provide the Entry with a neat conclusion). Obviously, I was aware of the many contributions Majel made to the show, but didn't want to just list them all. I've amended the Entry slightly to show that the cited roles were just two of the ones she played, which I hope covers it.

Jimster

Errata and pedantry

Post 19

smiley - cheers

Errata and pedantry

Post 20

Hoovooloo

Any chance of some "errata and pedantry"-type comments (or any others for that matter) on this entry? A739145 - on the Klingon Language. It's in Peer Review right now, and the thread is here.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F48874?thread=180530&post=1967483#p1967483 H.

Key: Complain about this post

Errata and pedantry

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more