A Conversation for Star Trek - the Science Fiction Phenomenon

Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 21

Researcher 198131

You can't say the books are ALL rubbish unless you've read them all. I agree that some are rubbish, however some of them are quite good and are written by authors who are quite well repsected in the SF world.


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 22

Researcher 198131

Are you rubbishing William Shatner because he's William Shatner, or have you actually read his books?


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 23

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

To anyone who wishes to insult William Shatner's books: It is impractical and entirely pointless, not to mention irritating, to state a dislike as a fact, not an opinion, as it wil merely make people angry- the ones that don't agree, that is. One more thing: Saturn Girl, have you actually read these books you call garbage? Why exactly do they warrant being insulted? Genuine literary criticism would be appreciated. Okay, I sound annoying, don't I? :\ I just wanted to see how much of that speech mode I could pull off. I'm serious about the criticism being appreciated. I actually do like Mr. Shatner's books, and I have read a lot of other books, so I've been exposed to many different qualities of work. I want to hear other people's opinions. Cuia anann ar gargalu. (Live long and prosper, in Elvish. I'm a Tolkienite as well as a trekkie/trekker/whatever term is appropriate for me.)


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 24

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

In answer to the original point of the thread, it's "Trekkies" - official!

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/5262.html

And, while I haven't read Shatner's books, I suspect the fact I have a CD of Shatner singing may be relevant... I have it *because* it's Shatner; nobody in their right mind (or even me) would own that disc on its musical merits alone.
smiley - roflsmiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnotesmiley - headhurts


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 25

Saturn Girl ~ 1 of 42 (Borg Queen A761708) ~ Gollum's keeper + some ~ [1*7(0!+2)(0!+1)=42]

I have read one of Shatner's books, but it's been so long, and I disliked it so much that I promptly purged it from my mind. So I suppose I shall have to look like a cop out here, and not be able to give any specifics as to what offended me so much about the book. I will give him credit on one thing. He didn't manage to get to the lowest level of low that is getting me to actually put down a book and not finish it. I've had a couple books that did that to me, but that in and of itself is a challenge. I will usually finish reading something, even if I'm not enjoying it, just because I want to know what was supposed to happen at the end of the book, or I have a hope that it'll pick up and get better later.

And I can say, unfortunately, that I know one person who has a CD of Shatner singing that claims it's not because of the name attached to the CD, but in fact the music itself, that he bought it. Though at least I'm not completely scared, in that he admits he laughs at it. However, he also gets most amused when I make threats against him if he so much as plays it in my presense. But yeah...


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 26

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

Okay... Shatner singing? Too weird.


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 27

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

http://www.priceline.com/promo/shatner_return.aspsmiley - rofl


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 28

Researcher 198131

smiley - laugh Thanks for the link.

Nimoy is so much cooler than Shatner, doncha think?

smiley - elf


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 29

Estelendur (AKA Esty)

I dunno. Maybe?...

Coren: She's not awake yet...


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 30

Scruff79

I'm definately a type 2 fan. I got hooked by ST:TNG as a kid, it was my fav. Have some vids and can occasionally quote stuff, but haven't made into a costume yet! smiley - biggrin


Trekkers and Trekkies...

Post 31

Researcher 198131

No, stay clear of the costumes! smiley - smiley

smiley - elf


Key: Complain about this post