A Conversation for The H2G2 Super Furry Animals Fan Club

Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 21

weegie

So i've to buy guerilla then? smiley - erm i will go an order it forthwith smiley - smiley

ah mogwai ... their 'blur are shite' t-shirts - inspired smiley - smiley being a glasgow band, you see them hanging around the 13th note ... sorry barfly smiley - yikes (hideous name) all the time... stuart braithwaite looks like a lovely wee boy smiley - winkeye

i saw gorki's last year, i wasn't that impressed, it was a bit shambling (normall something i like) maybe it was cos they were filming for telly that they kep stopping half way through the songs and starting again ...

Post 22

Ste

Between Mimi (the Missus) and myself we have everything the furries have done. Sad huh? From Llanfairpwllgwyngllgogerychwyrndrobwllynyngofod (In Space) to the Rings DVD. smiley - geek

The hidden track on outspaced in feckin great. Good for cruising around to. smiley - biggrin

Guerilla is most similar to radiator. Mwng is a total departure into Welsh folky beauty and Rings goes the other way totally into high-budget over-the-top lushness. Apparently they have a couple of albums up their sleeves to be released who-knows-when.

Gorkys do seem a bit, um, random. When I saw them they were playing stuff off their most recent album, and it was stunning. But I could see how they could be bad live if they felt like it smiley - smiley.

(aahh, to see the Gwai just "hanging around", Glasgow sounds like a fine city.)

Stesmiley - earth

Post 23

Ste

Did you get Guerilla then? smiley - smiley

Post 24

Burney90

Gorkys had been touring playing their stuff live as it was on the cd, with all the overdubs and everything, the stage was totally packed with pianos, keyboards, organs, pedal steel, blokes with accordians, string sections + the regular band. Most impressive.

Post 25

weegie

I GOT MOBILE PHONE, I GOT MOBILE PHONE smiley - tongueout

I bought guerilla and radiator (there was a bit of a deal going on). although i haven't really had time to listen to them properly - i have no idea what i was so scared of - they're really good. smiley - biggrin

i've always thought that the SFA were a bands-band, you know, they type that musos and those in the know go on about. and you know what its like when you're not in on it from the start smiley - erm (i slept most of the way through the '90's so i've got a lot of catching up to do!), scared of things you don't understand? i think it was a bit like that with the SFA. but yeah, i'm impressed.

i wasn't that impressed with Gorki's when we saw them. Although they did play with norman and sexy-gerry from teenage fanclub, which was pretty cool (another glasgow band, you just see hanging about smiley - winkeye )

Post 26

Burney90

aah Teenage Fanclub, theres another fantactic band... I'm always telling people how great Howdy is, but they never listen smiley - sadface the fools...

Fuzzy Logic is a bit more overdriven guitar than Radiator, and Outspaced is a blend of all those fabulous old B sides.

If you want a real treat find a track called "The Matter of Time" it was the b side to "Fire In My Heart" I think, but you should be able to find it as an mp3. One of the most beautiful recordings I have ever heard. Also theres a bonus cd with the US version of Mwng called Mwng Bach which has old EP tracks like "Sali Mali" and other b sides like "Cryndod Yn Dy Lais", definitely worth seeking out if youre looking for more stuff... especially those tracks which are lovely.

And I hear the new album recording is going well, they'll be taking a break for the US tour and going back to it before Xmas. Should be released first half of 2003.

Post 27

weegie

i can see me getting obsessed with the SFA's - is that what happens? i can't believe i passed on going to see them last year are they good live?

have you boy's posted your top ten cds/albums at A76856 - not as easy as it looks.

Post 28

Ste

SFA are better live than the CDs believe it or not. Gruff's voice is so incredible, you just don't get the full effect on CD. OOoo! And I'm going to see them in LA in October! I just saw them live in March, two US tours in a year, cool.

By the sounds of things Gorkys must have sharpened up their live act recently, when I saw them they had the little stage filled with stuff and it all sounded great. I've never managed to get into Teenage Fanclub. What's the best album to introduce oneself to them?

I think the furries are as accessible or as deep as you want, it all depends upon how you take them. The subjects they sing about rang from love to the housing market prices to haircuts to smoking to a 5 minute rant about "the man". Wonderful stuff. It's always eclectic enough to keep you interested and to come back for more.

Just posted to the top ten albums, managed to squeeze three SFA ones in there smiley - laughsmiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - earth

Post 29

Burney90

You'll probably end up getting obsessed with SFA, dont fight it! smiley - smiley

Just wish SFA would come back and play in wales again soon, CIA was the last time i saw them which was years ago, and when they're on form theres no band in the world that comes close to them live.

As for introductory Teenage Fanclub albums, I would say, "Grand Prix", "Howdy" then "Songs from Northern Britain". Haven't heard "Catholic Education" and I'm not as fond of "Thirteen" as the others, but it still has some great songs. Also Grand Prix has "Sparky's Dream", one of those catchy songs that sounds great live.

If you're in a band and want to include some covers Fanclub stuff sounds great sneaked into your set somwhere. If you want to sample a few songs before purchase try, Sparkys Dream, I Need Direction, and My Uptight Life.

And if you're not familiar with them you might like to try a bit of Soulwax, Belgiums best kept secret smiley - smiley

Oh and while I'm here, Big Leaves, they have an english album coming out around September, check out my thing on them at A790931, another band with a formidable live act.

Post 30

weegie

Radiator's the cd that's ended up on my cd-player on the way to work - i really like it smiley - biggrin, i like guerilla's too; its a familiar album, but i think i prefer radiator.

i'd agree that howdy and grand prix are fine fannies albums smiley - smiley

Burney90, what are the Big Leaves like? (i know, its a horrible question) in traditional smash hits fashion - who are their influences? (or should that be what's your favourite colour? smiley - erm ) are you in the band? Bit of a funny question, but do i know you?

Post 31

Ste

"CIA was the last time i saw them which was years ago"

December 20th 1999 to be precise, the day I met my wife. Burney, you remember on the SFA List that some people were meeting up in Cardiff to go to the show? That was us (about ten people) and we all stayed at my place in Cardiff I met my wife that day and by that night we were an item smiley - biggrin. We're a SFA couple, isn't that sickening?

I might download Grand Prix to see if I remember if I like them. I probably will. Anyone know of any non-morpheus music sharers nowadays?

I saw Big leaves at the CIA and I wasn't *that* impressed, I liked them, but I didn't love them or anything. Have they come along since then? I've heard a few soulwax songs, most notably "Too many DJs", which is wonderful and *really* should have led an anti-cheesey DJ-worship dance music revolution. Shame.

I listened to Guerilla on the way into work smiley - biggrin "Some things come from nothing" chills you out on the hectic journey on the freeways.

Anyone like Modest Mouse or Flaming Lips?

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth

Post 32

Burney90

I would have to agree on Radiator over Guerrilla, close thing though.

Big Leaves? Well if you were to take the Beach Boys influences of SFA and blend them into a rock/pop band with a slightly bluesey guitar sound, thats the closest I could describe Big Leaves. Very accessible and catchy melodic rock, very much like the Fannies at their finest.

Not sure who else they would list as influences, though they have gone into it at some time i'm sure. I am certainly not in the band, but one can dream... Don't know the guys personally but have teched for them at a few gigs, and seen them play almost 15 times now.

And do you know me? well do I know you? aah theres a quaint little mindfu*k eh? smiley - smiley But anythings possible.

Post 33

Burney90

Aargh forgot to reply to the other message...

Well for the CIA gig I only blagged a ticket that morning so missed out on the SFAList shenanigans, in fact ending up all on my lonesome self smiley - sadface. Oh to be a couple with the same musical tastes that would be superb, yet incredibly difficult.

As for the music sharing, *ahem* smiley - smiley i find a combination of KaZaA Lite (with no adverts) and WinMX to be particularly effective. But if I find another spotty student bragging about how many thousands of mp3s he has and no bought cds I shall drive 4H pencils down their ears, thereby removing them from the music loving community forever!

As I remember the CIA gig was ok, but they didnt have a huge amount of material back then, and the sound wasn't too great for them. They have since got far more material and manage to make so much on stage effort look effortless. Just because I love em doesn't mean everyone would though... smiley - sadface

One little anicdote was that when I teched for them last, Osian the keyboard player leans offstage during the set and asks me if I could find him some cigarette papers. On my return he proceeded to roll himself a cigarette, at the same time as playing a fiddly little piano melody. And I won't even go into their unbelievable alcohol intake. smiley - biggrin Needless to say I was more impressed than ever!

Heard some Flaming Lips and liked, but never followed up, not heard Modest Mouse, but was told I should investigate...

Post 34

jfmchivall

Hello Ste,

Thanks for popping by my page and making me feel welcome.

I too am a SFA fan and have been since I was about 16 when I came across the 7" of the Llanfairverylongwelshwordgochgochgoch in space EP in Our Price in Peterborough when they actually had a vinyl section and staff who knew about music. Sadly that's where my indie credibilty ends as I've only bought a few bits and bobs of theirs since. My younger brother however has every single thing they've ever done.grr.

I haven't actually seen them live since glastonbury 98 (or 99?) when they absolutely rocked. Some idiot tried to drive his car through the middle of the crowd (about 10000 people?) and it got trashed as everybody started dancing on top of it. My brother was inciting a riot as he had just got back from the J17 anticapitalist thing and was all fired up with righteous anti-car anger. Proper glasto moment...

Anyway, can I be in the club too?

jfmchivall

Post 35

Ste

Mimi and I go to gigs together in LA and San Diego all the time, it's ace. Our music tastes vary a little, I'm more into dance than she is and she's more into blues I suppose.

The CIA gig. I think the Furries best period so far was somewhere around and after Ice Hockey Hair. When radiator was released they weren't much cop live. I saw them at Reading and they weren't too hot. The next time I saw them was at the CIA and they kicked ass. I just saw them in a smallish venue in LA, it was great. Gruff's doing a solo show at the Eistefford (sorry about the spelling) and I really want to go. Bliss.

You teched for the Furries? Or are you talking about Big Leaves? (re: the cigarette rolling).

jfmchivall, I am madly jealous of you. You cannot join! smiley - winkeye No, that glasto gig was by SFAs admission their best gig ever. It must have been mental to have a van drive into the tent like that. Did it run over anyone??? Have you got the albums at least? If not I COMMAND you to buy them forthwith! smiley - biggrin

I'll put yer name up now in the hall of fame.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth

Post 36

jfmchivall

Ste,

The gig was outside on the Other Stage. They had a mad stage set with cactuses and a spaceship which they all climbed into at one point. The horn section were dressed as Pete Fowler creatures. They played a lot of songs from Guerilla. The poor guy with the van (it was more of a jeep style thing). He was literally throwing people off the roof of it, but they just kept climbing back on. All this during "Man don't give a f**k". Excellent.

Back in the day...
jfmchivall.

Post 37

Burney90

The teching was for Big Leaves, saw them at th Eisteddfod last night, great as usual. If only I could get to tech for SFA, that would most certainly be one of my life ambitions.

And I remember John Peel chuckling away as he recalled the glasto crushed car story. Apparently that was a great gig though.

Post 38

weegie

no mind-f**k intended, Burney90 smiley - smiley , i just get this steve kinda vibe off you... I'll get me coat? smiley - run

I see Gruff played an accoustic set at the Eisteddfod the other night, that must have been good.

tell you what i can't get off my gramophone at the mo - hinterland by Aim - embday got it? fabulous mix of hip-hop (in a british sytle-eee) jazz and dance. smiley - smiley

Post 39

Burney90

The Gruff acoustic thing wasn't actually part of the Eisteddfod proper, rather it was a Cymdeithas Yr Iaith gig, off the Maes at Solfach. Only 185 tickets which all sold out straight away despite me making several manic phonecalls to try and desperately get hold of one. But I hear it was great, played loads of old Ffa Coffi Pawb stuff which made me most gutted indeed to have missed it. smiley - sadface There were plenty of welsh celebs there including Rhys Ifans so I hear!

Did see Cian at Maes B on Saturday, and possibly Bunf, not sure if it was him, but whoever it was they were off their tits backstage!

What exectly is a Steve Vibe? (other than a good name for a band member) My real names actually Ed, and I don't own a white van... smiley - smiley

...though the way things are going I probably will one day! smiley - smiley

I shall take a look into Aim, they sound interesting.

Post 40

Ste

*misses living in Wales* smiley - sadface

smiley - earth

Key: Complain about this post