Big Leaves

0 Conversations

Big Leaves are a 5 piece rock band hailing from Waunfawr on the northern ridges of Wales. Excellent doesn't go half way to describing their blend of timeless music that would sound absolutely great on the radio if only it would get played.

Having played together for several years under the moniker Beganifs, the original 4 members (Rhodri Sion - Vocals, Kevin Tame - Bass, Meilir Gwynedd - Guitar and Osian Gwynedd - Drums and Keys), morphed into Big Leaves in the late 90s. Releasing 2 welsh language ep's (Trwmgwsg and Belinda) on the Crai label and several english singles on various other independents (Sly Alibi, Racing Birds, Fine), they have developed a hardcore following in their homeland and like many of their celtic predecessors play most of the major european festivals. The single "Racing Birds" was championed by Radio 1's Mark and Lard, going so far as to play it twice in a row, helping it acheive a respectable position of around 14 in the indie charts.

After the first LP "Pwy Sy'n Galw"(Crai), another welsh language release, they collaborated with John Cale of The Velvet Underground on the feature film "Beautiful Mistake/Camgymeriad Gwych" and featured in a fly on the wall documentary for S4C. Another English ep followed named "Animal Instincts" and a double A-side single on the Boobytrap label, "Electro-magnetic Pollution/Paladinos Pills(Hand of God)".

Late 2001 Osian stepped aside from drums duties to play keyboards full time and the formidable Matt Hobbs took up the drum stool. The "Siglo" EP, again on Crai filled the gap while recording began in earnest on their first english language LP "Alien & Familiar" and the first single from this LP, "Speakeasy" on Dell'Orso Records.

While their recordings are fantastic the band has honed a live performance that puts them in a league of their own following years of extensive touring. They demonstrate both musical energy and high tolerance for alcohol in their set and you'll not find another band more hard working and deserving of success.

In early march 2003 it was decided by the band that they would not be recording or playing again under the name Big Leaves. The english language album is still scheduled to be released in April.

Take a listen, you may just enjoy...

Ed Truckell 24/3/03

For Further Information visit the bands website at www.bigleaves.com

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A790931

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more