A Conversation for The H2G2 Super Furry Animals Fan Club

Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 1

Ste

Post requests to join here please. smiley - biggrin

SFA OK!

Stesmiley - stout


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 2

Great Western Lettuce (no.51) Just cut down the fags instead

*Takes off shoes and places them in the corner*
smiley - zen
Me, Me, Me.
Join me on up please mate.

*Floats on back to the corner pausing briefly to pick up shoes on the way out*
smiley - magic


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 3

Ste

It would be a pleasure Mr Lettuce mate smiley - ok

smiley - biggrin

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 4

mrs. badcrumble - my other hat's a balaclava


Well, this is all very nice. *waves to Ste*

By the way, SIGN ME UP!!


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 5

Ste

You are now officially a member mrs badcrumble

smiley - cheers

Is everyone here from the UK then?


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 6

Onefreeloader riding a blue bike badly

Oh yes well worth swinging by
for on my lovely blue bicycle

Sign me up please!


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 7

Ste

blimey!

I'd almost forgotten about this place! smiley - biggrin Certainly sir, consider yerself joined.

*sweeps away cobwebs* How is everybody?

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 8

mrs. badcrumble - my other hat's a balaclava


Fine, thanks for asking! *waves frantically to everyone*

I thought we'd all gone to sleep for a while! So...what are we going to do together, apart from congratulating each other on our exceptional taste in music?


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 9

Ste

Um, smiley - alesmiley - stoutsmiley - stiffdrinksmiley - bubbly?

and/or:

We know we each have fantastic taste in music, so we should tell everyone else what other music we like, so we could get some CD buying tips smiley - biggrin

I'll start: I liiiiike Spiritualized, Beta Band, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, Bowie, um, stuff. I can't remember, dammit

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 10

Ste

Ok, Grandaddy are a band that are reaaally good and a band that, IMHO, any SFA fan should like too. They have that same electro-fuzzy logic-ness going on about them.

I wanted to buy "the sophtware slump" for ages cos I heard it was really good and then I read an interview with the furries who said that they liked Grandaddy too. That pushed me over the edge to buy the album. "Under the Western Freeway" is also superb.

Any more music recommendations tailored for SFA fans?

smiley - ale

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 11

mrs. badcrumble - my other hat's a balaclava

I've mentioned them before, and I'll say it again - Hawkwind!! Oh, and the Cooper Temple Clause.


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 12

weegie

Oh i haven't seen a classic goo site for ages smiley - smiley

hey ste smiley - earth how's it going? i've now managed to find some time to breathe from my heavy work load and i would love to join the SFA fan club-page-site thingymabobbery. you know i have a deep abiding love for them...

sophtware slump is a fine album and one that should be purchased by all discerning music fans.

my favourite band at the moment are the doves. the last broadcast is great. saw them at the weekend, brilliant smiley - biggrin. Another good band to look out for is the coral, very psychodelic, very beefheart.


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 13

Ste

*dusts off old forum*



Hi W****E (are the *s hiding words or are you a general?) and welcome. Not much going on around here lately I'm afraid, but I'm well up for giving it another go to get this club established.

If it's not goo, it's poo. smiley - biggrin

What's happened SFA-wise. Umm. I went to see them in LA aaaaagges ago, May 7th I think and I rediscovered the hidden track on outspaced and cruised around San Diego listening to it feeling mightily superior because all of these SoCal kids don't know who the hell the furries are cos they just listen to RAWK.

Um, W****E, you're welcome to join. I'll add you on the list as soon as I can get away with it at work. Why do you love them so much anyhoo?

I got the last broadcast a few weeks ago, yeah it's bloody great. Unsure whether it beats lost souls though....

I'd put under the wester freewat up the with the sophtware slump, even though the chrystal lake is one of the finest songs ever.

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 14

Burney90

Hi

If its possible could you sign me up for this.

Just got back into h2g2 after a few years away and happened upon this, been a member of the SFA mailing list for too long to recount and take every possible opportunity to try and impress on people just how good the furries are.

Incidentally has anyone else heard the cover of the Beach Boys - Warmth of the Sun, they did on John Peel last year? It's out there as an mp3 and is quite simply breathtaking.

and what about Golden Retriever, 3 chords of mentality?

keep enjoying..


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 15

Ste

W****E and Burney90 are now both members! smiley - bubblysmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - cheers

I too am an SFA list member. I actually met my wife because of that particular list, it involves the Mash Up The CIA gig in Cardiff a few years ago, Cardiff in Califoria, Emailing and lots of long distance relationship woes. I'll tell you in more detail one day, perhaps on that other thread I startedhinthint*ahem*.

I listened to Warmth of the Sun once I think, I forget what's it's like *scrambles around the disintegrating mp3 file swapping sites to find it* smiley - biggrin Oh, what's the URL of the SFA list FTP site. Surely they have it. I've got an mp3 of golden retreiver, but it sounded crap to what it is like live smiley - wow. "She's a go-o-olden retriever *do be doo doo*" smiley - biggrin.

OOoooOOooo I forgot! I saw SFA live in LA in (um) May 7th. I live in san diego, so we had to get there early to avoid the LA rush hour. So, there we were sitting in front of the El Rey theatre in LA at 5pm, with four hours to go to the show. Members of the band walked by a few times (there's no back door at the El Rey) and we listened to the sound checks (Cians was the best with all of the woingy noises). Bunfy said hello. Gruff walked past us a couple of times, he seems be in his own world that guy, bless im. He first approached the entrance (and us) staring up at the red neon "EL REY" sign like it was magic by the looks of his grin. The next time we saw him he came dashing out of the front door pushing a trolley! He was having a great time by the looks of it.

Apparently Gruff hasn't smoked in about 2 years too. Which makes one wonder.

Anyway, we got to the front of the gig. Gold Chains, the support was embarrasingly bad. But the furries lived up to their greatness. The new opening song (a beefed up touch sensitive) is awesome. I suppose a lot of people have seen this setlist, so I won't go into details, but my personal highlights were the mwng songs and international language of screaming. smiley - ok Shame the LA crowd seemed to be a bit static.

smiley - smiley

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 16

weegie

oh i feel such a fraud smiley - wah

i'm a realtive newcomer to the SFA - i mean, obviously i'd heard of them - i know they're friends of the mighty mogwai but to be honest, i've always been a bit frightened by them. but in for a penny, in for a pound, i bought rings around the world and loved it, but i suspect that this is a pretty accessible album.

what albums would you suggest to get me started?

a fortune teller once told me that my life would be inexplicably bound with wales (the country not the animal - i had to ask) ... i wonder if she meant the SFA (and not gorki's zygotic minki smiley - smiley )


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 17

Burney90

The Warmth of the Sun Mp3 I have is from when Steve Lamaq repeated it and spoke all over the outro. Highly annoying!

How could anyone be intimidated by SFA, a band that drove around DJing in tanks and had 40ft inflatable teddy bears at gigs! Especially compared to the mighty Mogwai, who I seem to remember sent Graham Coxon running into the dark snowy night after he bumped into them in a chip shop in far northern europe, I think that was Mogwai.

I dont think there are any inaccessable SFA albums, theyre just all a bit different. Try Radiator and Mwng, and forget not the legendary Ice Hockey Hair EP!


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 18

Ste

Fraud!?!? smiley - huh Nahhhhh!

An SFA fan is an SFA fan, no matter when they "discovered" them. That's just snobbery smiley - smiley

Mogwai smiley - biggrin I LOVE MOGWAI. They ever-so-nearly beat SFA to my favourite band. Especially "Young Team", one of the most awe-inspiring albums ever made.

In my opinion, SFA's best album is a close one between Mwng, Radiator and Guerilla. Radiator just pips the other two by a whisker. They have not made a duff lp ever, even Outspaced (a B sides compilation) is wonderful. Rings is a very accessible album yeah, Radiator is probably their least. So get Guerilla next. That's my advice smiley - biggrin. You'll be chanting "I GOT MOBILE PHONE, I GOT MOBILE PHONE!" in no time smiley - winkeye

Gorky's are great too. I never 'got' them til I saw them live a few months ago smiley - ok. Does anyone else like Gorkys?

smiley - cheers

Stesmiley - earth


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 19

Ste

Ooooh, Ice hockey hair! Their finest moment surely! Yeah, get that!


Can you point me in direction, I can take my shoes

Post 20

Burney90

aye, Guerrilla is probably the most accessible after Rings, and remember its got the fantastic hidden track Citizens Band. Theres one on Outspaced too, just pause and rewind search at the start of the first track and go back to about -5:40ish.

Furries albums are like bubblegum cards, once you start collecting them you just have to have them all!

then theres the eps and singles... smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post