This is the Message Centre for Beatrice

September challenge

Post 1

Beatrice

I'm going to try to make it through September booze-free. This'll be tough for me, so lots of support welcome!

One day at a time.

Yesterday I was quite proud of myself - had a really busy and stressful day at work, but hit the gym afterwards, including a yoga session to chill out. Drank herbal tea. What do people drink in the evenings? Fruit juice is way too high in sugars and calories, I drink loads of water during the day, though I guess I could add a slice of lemon and some ice to make it a bit more fun.

September challenge

Post 2

Malabarista - now with added pony

Go all German and dilute your fruit juice 50:50 with sparkling water. Or if that's still too much, try redbush tea, I usually have a flask of it handy in the evenings. smiley - ok

But that's easy for me to say, I've never been that bothered without booze. It really wouldn't make a difference to me if it stopped existing tomorrow, except for the fact that I'd lose my job smiley - silly

September challenge

Post 3

Malabarista - now with added pony

Without? About!

September challenge

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

I have the occasional glass of wine in the evenings, but I think I could go without alcohol for a month if I wanted. I drink lots of smiley - coffee during the day, so water or some sugar-free grapefruit lemonade in the evenings is refreshing.

September challenge

Post 5

Icy North

Good luck smiley - goodlucksmiley - cheerup

I suggest you write a short diary/journal/blog each day, documenting how you feel without alcohol and how your life is changing as a result. Just posting here daily would be good too. Prof Animal Chaos's journal about his son's recovery is a real inspiration to everyone who reads it.

September challenge

Post 6

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I am normally a coffee drinker, so those evenings when I must do without the sips of brandy I take on a cup of tea. Maybe try a switch-about? But a low caffiene one at first or you may not sleep ...

September challenge

Post 7

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

ahhh more for me then smiley - biggrinsmiley - bubbly

September challenge

Post 8

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

ps good luck tinker smiley - hugsmiley - biggrin

September challenge

Post 9

Beatrice

Ta

Day 2 in the Big Booze-free House. Beatrice is in the kitchen making dinner. She has just finished a mug of herbal tea with her feet up, and has now moved on to a glass of soda water with a slice of lime.

Friday night will be tough - I associate it with a few glasses of wine to relax at the end of the week. But I'm reminding myself that this is for the good of my health, and will save me about a fiver a day.

September challenge

Post 10

KB

What used to be a common drink here was buttermilk and white lemonade mixed 50/50. It makes me shudder to think of it! I never tried it. But I did substitute the white lemonade for soda water once - and it was surprisingly tasty and refreshing.

Both need to be ice-cold though.

September challenge

Post 11

Now that sounds unusual. I was never a 'fan' of buttermilk, even fresh as we made the butter ourselves, but could drink it. A soft beverage might just make it easier. I may have to give it a try ...

September challenge

Post 12

Beatrice

Day 4 update - managed to get through Friday and Saturday evenings easier than expected!

There's a window between 6 and 8pm when the desire is strongest (habit, really) and if I can get past that then it becomes easier. I also have a variety of drinks to choose from so i don't feel restricted to boring soda water - PLJ, light cranberry, good apple juice, all of the above but diluted with soda, herbal teas, spicy tomato juice....

Sleeping OK -its a little more difficult to drop off to sleep, but not impossible.
Starting taking milk thistle to help my poor liver recover.

Oh, and I have a friend on MyFitnessPal who's joining me, so we send each other daily supportive messages and howsitgoings.

Lining up various activities for the evenings this week: Monday, meditation, Tuesday gym, Wednesday running friend to airport.

September challenge

Post 13

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I guess giving up anything is much the same, just breaking the habit. I gave up smoking after 21 years - in the end I fell out of love with it. You are doing well B, every day without imbibing is a day won. I am not sure if it's for your health or financial purposes that you wish to go teetotal (do you? Or just cut down your alcohol intake?) you need to allow yourself a treat - for say, a week without - perhaps your favourite smiley - cake

Don't beat yourself up if you have a tipple, it can strengthen your resolve to give up completely. I've never had to give up booze as I am not a fan...I drink alcohol to be "sociable" and despair that my teenage son now thinks it's "cool" to get so drunk he vomits. My other son still boozes to excess and it's smiley - brokenheart

smiley - goodlucksmiley - star

September challenge

Post 14

Each generation of kids have to learn for themselves. I was a drunkard both times that I was single. Well into the 2nd time, I found it wasn't as much fun. Now, a double measure of a Scotch whiskey with ice, and watch others be fools. That is more amusing than being part of it.

A reason that I hoped to one day make a hootoo Meet... Loads seem to glorify in being falling-over-stupid-drunk, get pics and gloat laters. That is something that would be fun to watch. smiley - laugh

September challenge

Post 15

Beatrice

Various reasons, but mainly because it's become a habit. I don't drink to excess every day - but I do drink every day. So I want to prove that I don't HAVE to.

Long term, I'll still enjoy a few glasses of wine on occasions, but just not out of routine.

Hoping that it'll help me shift a couple of lbs and save a few ££££s.

Feeling really tired today - where's all this extra energy I'm supposed to have, eh?

September challenge

Post 16

KB

I suppose it might take a few days to notice it...

September challenge

Post 17

Beatrice

Didn't sleep well - cold and hungry during the night, and still felt tired when the alarm went off.

But 1 lb lighter on the scales - yay!

My MFP mate who's doing this with me has given up the demon drink several times before and says that while it's a diuretic, it also can cause your body to hold on to water weight. So it takes a few days for those effects to sort themselves out.

September challenge

Post 18

You can call me TC

I don't know what yours tastes like over there, but perhaps an alcohol-free beer. Has less calories, too, while being thirst-quenching. They make less sweet ones now.

September challenge

Post 19

Beatrice

A report out today shows how it is beneficial for older women to have a drink daily!

Ahahahahahaha.

Hmm. 1 week down, including a celebratory birthday dinner for Dai.

Bit annoyed that I don't have more energy, am not sleeping any better, am grumpy all the time, and can't find a decent non-sparkly non-sweet beverage.

But quarter past on the countdown clock!

September challenge

Post 20

I can do much better without the alcohol than I can the nicotine, any week. If you can keep out the heavy and hard measures, and still enjoy ONE glass with a dinner ... Special occasionss demand and I still owe you p0ersonally a flaggin of white, ... I don't consider that 'drinking'.

Key: Complain about this post