A Conversation for Monty Python - the Best Bits

I like traffic lights

Post 1

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

On the topic of the difficulty in explaining the genius of Monty Python to the unbelievers: Try making someone listen to 'I like traffic lights'.
I just love this song! The droning voice, the backup singers troubling with keeping up with lead vocals varying number of "I like ...", not to mention the ending.
"I like traffic lights, I like traffic lights, I like tra-ffic liights, I like... oh god."
But try explaining this to a friend, and he won't believe you. He won't even listen to the whole song, even though he likes 'The life of Brian'. And if you try to sing it to him you loose the unsynchronized backup singers...
It's pure genius, and it's a crime that it's not played more often on the radio. smiley - smiley

I like traffic lights

Post 2

Danny B

smiley - laugh

'I bet you they won't play this song on the radio...'

I have no intention of playing 'Traffic Lights' to my friends - I'd like to keep them smiley - winkeye

I like traffic lights

Post 3

If they can't appreciate such genius, what good are they? smiley - winkeye

I like traffic lights

Post 4

Wrinkled Rocker

I am an unabashed Python (Monty) fan but I've never heard the traffic lights song! smiley - yikes I suppose that it's just another thing South Africa lost during the bad days ... smiley - sadface
Any idea where I could get it now? smiley - bigeyes

I like traffic lights

Post 5

Danny B

'I Life Traffic Lights' is on Monty Python's 'Contractual Obligation Album', and I think that's the only place it can be found - it was never deemed worthy of a place on any of the 'greatest hits' albums smiley - biggrin You can probably buy the album online from somewhere like Amazon...

I like traffic lights

Post 6

Wrinkled Rocker

Say no more! I shall sally forth to their place of perveyance ... smiley - biggrin
Do they have limberjacks smiley - whistle on the Amazon? smiley - huh

I like traffic lights

Post 7

That guy, err, you know....

They aplyed that song on the radio the other day.......

I like traffic lights

Post 8

That guy, err, you know....

They played that song on the radio the other day.......

I like traffic lights

Post 9

Wrinkled Rocker

Lumberjacks? Or traffic lights?
I'm waydownsouth in Africa, I'm afraid...smiley - winkeye

I like traffic lights

Post 10

stateofit

Although my name's not Bamber...

This song also to be found on the compilation "The Final Rip-Off", but I havent seen it in shops for a while...

And do you remember The Bookshop sketch, with an extremely annoying Michael Palin asking an increasingly bemused (De-mused?) John Cleese for obscure books...?

The Gospel According to Charlie Drake
101 Ways to Start a Fight, by an Irish Gentleman whose name eludes me.
The Expigated version of Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds.
The one without the Gannet.
I don't like them. They wet their nests...smiley - erm

I like traffic lights

Post 11

EwenMc

'Ethel the Aardvark goes quantity surveying'...?

Have you tried WH Smith's?
I did. They sent me here.

Ewen (& his cheeseplant called Abdul)

I like traffic lights

Post 12

stateofit

No, we don't have that one.

Funny, we've got a lot of books here...

I like traffic lights

Post 13

"RIGHT!!!! I'll buy it FOR you! (ring) There we are, there's your change, there's some money for a taxi on the way home, there's your book, now, now.."

"Wait, wait, wait!"

"What? What?!? WHAT?!? WHAT???!!"

"I can't read!!!"

I like traffic lights

Post 14

Julz - forgive me, i appear to have lost my mind

Tho i think i may start employing Michael Palins method of showing someone the fish slapping dance to see if they have a sense of humour. That sketch is genius!

Key: Complain about this post