A Conversation for Vinyl Junkies (Record Collecting)

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 81

Plastic Squirrel /Back, on the good foot, and doing the bad thing

Not a single flaming skull on me anywhere, just a couple of rather tasteful tribal type things, I'm not quite *that* New Wave of British Heavy Metal.smiley - ok
And I'm pretty sure it's 2002 and the world of Metal music has declined into w**ky s**te as it has threatened to do for so long now. Though if it were 1984, I am ashamed to admit I'd be very happy to be on tour with Leppard smiley - headhurts
Empire Strikes Back is definitely the greatest ever film sequel, though I don't know if Wayne's World 2 rates quite that highly... I'd put the Great Muppet Caper above it smiley - ok
And do you think it would be good to look like Popeye then?

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 82

Uncle Heavy [sic]

well, you never know. this is just a metal test. how metal are YOU? a metal detector if you will. arf. hell, id like to be on tour in 84 with def leppard...they knew how to party...thats not particularly metal so much as male...

metal 2002 is a bleak thing. metal has always een a bleak thing tho...

waynes world two is one of the finest films of all time. period.

and
1) popeye is el hombre
2) i dont think even a small anchor would fit on my biceps smiley - ermsmiley - winkeye

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 83

Metal detector smiley - laugh very good...
Metal hasn't always been bleak, at one point it was frighteningly colourful, spandexy and overly permed (Twisted Sister for example).
Jim Morrison was pretty funny in WW2, yeah, but I haven't seen it in ages so I couldn't possibly comment further.
And you need to work those arms or you won't be able to lift your pint smiley - winkeye

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 84

Uncle Heavy [sic]

i thought metal was in its heyday when they all dressed as viking warriors in furs and great big axes. thats my opinion anyway...

now its all skateboards, shorts and institutionalised cretinism. i have little time for it, but i do like SOAD and lostprophets...and idlewild, but theyre barely metal...

WW2 i maintian is brilliant. that british guy (danny in withnail) is the funniest guy ever...

i can lift my pint perfectly well. as people will indepoendantly verify. i dont drink molten lead, you know...

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 85

But if you can't even fit a small anchor on your bicep then... oh, you're exxagerating aren't you? smiley - doh
The Viking warrior thing is funny yeah, Saxon rock!
And no, none of those bands are at all metal. Van Halen (with Dave lee Roth) Diamond Head, Maiden, Metallica (with Cliff Burton) and the mighty Maiden are *proper* metal.

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 86

Uncle Heavy [sic]

yes. exaggerating. irony. you know? i do that sometimes...

saxon rock is certainly funny. like death metal, thats quite funny...you crazy norwegians...now all that comes out of norway is acoustic rock and jazzy house...

iron maiden are a public school band you know. brice dickenson is *ridiculously* posh...

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 87

I know, he came and fenced at my school when I was there once. As in poncing about with swords, not selling hooky gear out the back of a van, obviously.

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 88

Uncle Heavy [sic]

why did he come and fence at your school? to show how hardcore he was?

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 89

I really can't remember that well, I think he was just part of a team that was playing against our team and that was all there was too it.

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 90

Uncle Heavy [sic]

but surely you werent at school at the same time as him, unless you are far older than it hought...

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 91

No, not at all, but oddly enough there's not a whole lot of school fencing teams round here to play against, so our school team used to have to get others in, and Brucey (who was very much a well-famous feller at this point) was in one.

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 92

Uncle Heavy [sic]

were you like 'we are not worthy' or all cool and nonchalent ?

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 93

Gob open and pointy really, but then it was Bruce Dickinson, and I was only 14, and Number of the Beast was my favourite album in the world still at that point.

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 94

Uncle Heavy [sic]

ah...how young, naive, sweet, innocent and whatnot you must have been. and what a man guilty of repeatedly being an utter ponce is the man dickenson...

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 95

the_greatest_person

hey i listen to vinyl cos we got shed-loads of it lying around our house,
im 17 and most of the bands i listen to died/split before i was born,
i like prog rock and acid rock, but we also got great stuff like lotsa skiffle and proper rock n roll (horray for pink vinyl)
the argument over past/modern music amuses and intrigues me,

when do you call music old?? wont modern music be old some day?? will you hate/love modern music just becose its become old????

i think all generations produce some crap and some good music, its just that "the past" has a wider selection and so more good music.

the first series of star trek was dire but so dire it was good, the other series got good special fx but make me wanna retch they are far worse.

an interesting question to pose would be wot do you think of classical music???
there are a lot of pieces that make me sick (but it may just be the effects of a clockwork orange) but there are others that are truely beautiful,

but for the hight of oldness you cannot beat medevil choral chants, what are your veiws on them????

The Other Vinyl Junkies

Post 96

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Regarding the: "There is not a lot of recent good music compared to what has been produced in the past" I would like to introduce the following hypothesis.

For any given month of "past" there was (on average) the same amount of "good new music" as there is in a month of "present". The past is just a lot longer than the present month and thus contains more "good music".

Key: Complain about this post